RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

grampacharlie

Oct 20, 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #1 of 21 (7505 views)
Shortcut

Sleeping bag question...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Ladies,

My girlfriend is looking for a new sleeping bag, and she is a notoriously cold sleeper. (Meaning that in 30 degree weather, she needs a 0-10 degree bag to stay warm)

Vital stats: 5'2" 115lbs, former gymnast with very obvious gymnast build (very broad shoulders and very muscular legs)

She is looking to get a down bag that will keep her feet warm and won't have a ton of space at the bottom. We have been looking at everything from REI and EMS Brands to Big Agnes and western mountaineering, though the Big A's lack of insulation on the underside of the bag is a concern of hers. She would like to have a light bag as well. Sub 3 lbs is possible.

We've read reviews but I was hoping to get personal opinions on the matter.

So the question is:
Money is no object, what sleeping bag would you get in the 0 to 10 degree range for three season camping.

Our next move is to go to a few stores and have her try out as many bags as they have, but many places don't carry multiple bags within her size and temperature rating parameters. Just looking for helpful suggestions.

Thanks!

clee03m

Oct 20, 2009, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 21 (7494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grampacharlie] Sleeping bag question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also cold sleeper, 5'3 about that weight before preggo.

I love Marmot Teton +0 Sleeping Bag - in woman's regular. I think it fits my body pretty well. I've actually been hot when it's been below freezing outside in this one because I went to bed with too many layers. Sure there is some extra feet room, but at 5'3, I wouldn't expect much better than this one. And I use the extra space crawl further in when I want my face covered for the night. I think your girlfriend will be nice and toasty in there. I use this bag all season.

I hated The North Face Snowshoe +0 Sleeping Bag - in woman's regular. It was 17-18 degrees out, and I was so cold that my feet went numb. Promptly returned to REI and got the Marmot. Never been cold camping again.

That being said, these are the only two sleeping bags I've tried at that temperature range.

lhwang

Oct 20, 2009, 5:22 PM
Post #3 of 21 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Integral Designs has awesome, high quality down or primaloft sleeping bags. They used to do custom sizes but I'm not sure if they still do.

lena_chita

Oct 20, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #4 of 21 (7489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't feel that i have tried enough bags to make an informed opinion on them. I have a REI down bag that is 12 years old and still works O.K. for me. Don't even remember the model name, it is women's size regular.

I am 5 ft tall and IMO, unless you go with custom size, extra room in the feet would always be an issue. I don't think it is bad, actually. I stuff my clothes into the bottom of my bag when it is really cold. And I can get completely dressed without unzipping the sleeping bag-- that's hoe much wiggle room there is in a regular sleeping bag for me...

Another thing that might work for cold feet, I know a girl who uses it: Your GF might want to try down booties and wear them inside the sleeping bag.

tigerlilly

Oct 20, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #5 of 21 (7484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sub 3 lbs for a 0 deg bag is a tough one, but can be had for a price. Check out the Montbell UL Superstretch Hugger 0. Comes in a short version good to 5'6", which is still a bit long for her. It has a drawstring which will let you close off the last baffle, which might make it too short. You can call Backcountry and maybe they will be able to tell you. I can't speak for these bags from first hand experience, but my #2 will be here Friday. Smile

http://www.backcountrygear.com/...agdetail.cfm/MTB3880

Kathy

kellie

Oct 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #6 of 21 (7464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feathered Friends makes excellent bags and do custom bags as well. No I do not work for them, but I have some of their stuff.

http://www.featheredfriends.com

boo

Oct 21, 2009, 1:48 AM
Post #7 of 21 (7448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something to consider.....what kind of sleep mat is she using with these/any/a sleeping bags?

The typical 'thermarest' is an R rating of less than 1.0. I think a ridge rest is .5.

I'd seriously consider either the SynMat (R=5.9) or the Down Matt (R=8.0)made by Exped. These are handled in the US by Outdoor Research. Both have integrated pumps to inflate.

The Synmat uses Primaloft and the Down matt is obviously down. The cool thing with the Synmat is the primaloft is attached to the top and the bottom of the baffle. That means when it inflates the primaloft expands throughout the entire cell.

They enhance the warmth of any given bag, significantly. I have both and use them interchangeably depending on whether I am tent, bivy or open air camping. Durable and super comfy. I think I prefer both to my bed.

And a tip for her feet, fill the dead space in the bottom with a down/synth lofted jacket.

petsfed

Oct 21, 2009, 2:28 AM
Post #8 of 21 (7446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boo] Sleeping bag question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boo wrote:
I'd seriously consider either the SynMat (R=5.9) or the Down Matt (R=8.0)made by Exped. These are handled in the US by Outdoor Research. Both have integrated pumps to inflate.

Keep in mind that these numbers only apply when the pad is fully inflated. Compressed down or compressed primaloft has a VERY low R value. This is why Big Agnes doesn't put insulation on the bottoms of their bags: it doesn't actually do anything.

aerili

Oct 21, 2009, 6:22 AM
Post #9 of 21 (7435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tend to be a cold sleeper as well. One time, I was sleeping in sub-freezing temps at Red Rocks in a tent with my partner. I was wearing clothes head-to-toe in my (okay very old) 0* bag and women's trail lite thermarest.

My partner was wearing nothing but his climbing pants and sleeping in a Walmart special, non-mummy bag. (You know, the kind with plaid fabric shaped like a box.)

I was sooo cold the first night I barely slept. He was perfectly warm and slept the whole night.

Anyway, I thought that was a funny story.

But my main point is this: when a bag isn't warm enough, I found a solution in buying a $20 55 deg light fleece bag from Sport Chalet. I use this like a "liner bag" inside my bag when temps are really cold (like sub-29*). WORKS LIKE A CHARM. Takes up extra space in a bag that might be too big for her too.

chadnsc

Oct 21, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #10 of 21 (7425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may also want to look at Montbell's line of Super Stretch Down Hugger sleeping bags. They now have a 'short' version for people 5'-6" and under. My wife (a cold sleeper as well) has the #3 bag and she loves it.

lhwang

Oct 21, 2009, 2:36 PM
Post #11 of 21 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to add that Integral Designs actually has different lengths (short is up to 5'5") and different widths (standard and broad).

Their short standard Loft bag is rated for 20 F and weighs 2 lb 10 oz.

clausti

Oct 22, 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #12 of 21 (7391 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Sleeping bag question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
boo wrote:

Keep in mind that these numbers only apply when the pad is fully inflated. Compressed down or compressed primaloft has a VERY low R value. This is why Big Agnes doesn't put insulation on the bottoms of their bags: it doesn't actually do anything.

?? unless you want to, ya know, sleep on your side while still breathing out the face hole.

petsfed

Oct 22, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #13 of 21 (7387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Sleeping bag question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
petsfed wrote:
boo wrote:

?? unless you want to, ya know, sleep on your side while still breathing out the face hole.

One of the many reasons that I don't own a Big Agnes bag. That and they're built for friggin' linebackers. I could cram like 3 of me in one of their normal size bags.

If you always sleep on your back (or don't mind having the hood wide open while you sleep) and are particularly barrel chested, they're worth checking out.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Oct 22, 2009, 1:30 AM)

kyote321

Oct 22, 2009, 1:54 PM
Post #14 of 21 (7368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are car camping get a Mr. Heater from walmart and connect it to the propane tank on from your grill. Cool

grampacharlie

Oct 22, 2009, 5:06 PM
Post #15 of 21 (7357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Sleeping bag question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
petsfed wrote:
boo wrote:

This was her main reservation with B.A. bags.

thanks to everyone who replied, this was a great help!

kiwiprincess

Oct 22, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #16 of 21 (7348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I sleep out in the snow I make my Nalgene type bottle into a hot water bottle..Nice and warm but make sure the lid is well sealed.
Mats make a big difference to me in warmth as well as a hat. I use a 700gm down bag all year around, but only use hood and hottie and a second mat in Winter.

smallclimber

Oct 24, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #17 of 21 (7308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a down bag by Seirra Designs. Its about 10 years old so the model will have changed. I can't remember the rating, think it was 15F. I have used it at approaching 6000m and been warm. I am under 5' and it seems their womens bags are a little shorter than other womens makes (regular fits 5'5"). So yes its a little long for me, but I can fit next day clothes and once even put my plastic boots in as well at the bottom.
The nalgene as hot water bottle suggestion is great, makes a huge difference. Once you get warm you'll probably stay warm.

dr_feelgood

Oct 25, 2009, 6:26 PM
Post #18 of 21 (7288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Sleeping bag question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyote321 wrote:
if you are car camping get a Mr. Heater from walmart and connect it to the propane tank on from your grill. Cool

And then die from CO poisoning.

Flyweight

Oct 26, 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #19 of 21 (7238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Western Mountaineering bag for winter. Their actual ratings are at least as warm as their stated ratings.

I have this bag in a womens size: http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=17 . Expensive, but completely worth it. I've been in temps down in the low 20s with this thing and actually had to remove clothing because I was too hot.

A good sleeping pad makes a huge difference. I love the insulated pads for winter. This thing is excellent -- really warm and comfortable: http://www.rei.com/product/780361.

I'm a pretty lightweight backpacker and never thought I'd like an insulated pad, but it's made all the difference.

stonefox

Nov 11, 2009, 3:52 AM
Post #20 of 21 (7141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marmot Never Summer. I own it, I love it.

grampacharlie

Dec 2, 2009, 9:19 PM
Post #21 of 21 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Sleeping bag question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all! this was very helpful.

Hey Tigerlilly, she decided on the Montbel. It looks great and is very warm. (she spent a good bit of time in it as soon as it came in the mail)

mike.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook