Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Climbing and the Olympics trivia question...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #1 of 33 (14427 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and the Olympics trivia question...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Without doing a search can anyone tell me who has ever been awarded an Olympic gold medal from the Olympic committee for climbing, and what for?

kachoong

Oct 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #2 of 33 (14415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wasn't there a gymnastic event of rope climbing but stopped in the 30's or 40's? I couldn't tell you you who got a gold though.

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #3 of 33 (14405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Wasn't there a gymnastic event of rope climbing but stopped in the 30's or 40's? I couldn't tell you you who got a gold though.
I believe you're correct, but I'm talking about rock, ice, or mountain climbing.

dolphja

Oct 22, 2009, 1:21 PM
Post #4 of 33 (14396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i did some looking on this a few years back and didn't find any information on climbing ever being an event in the olympics. that'd be pretty cool if the IOC allowed rock climbing in the summer games and ice during the winter games

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 1:28 PM
Post #5 of 33 (14389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dolphja] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
i did some looking on this a few years back and didn't find any information on climbing ever being an event in the olympics. that'd be pretty cool if the IOC allowed rock climbing in the summer games and ice during the winter games
Well let's not turn this into another thread on how cool/stupid climbing in the Olympics would be, you are correct on one point - climbing was never in the Olympics.

Never the less the Olympic committee did indeed award a gold medal/gold medals for climbing, but only once. It was not for performance during the Olympics. But keep guessing...

olderic

Oct 22, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #6 of 33 (14368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably Hitler used this as a propaganda mechanism to reward some alpine achievement - N face of the Eiger possibly.

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 4:53 PM
Post #7 of 33 (14336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Probably Hitler used this as a propaganda mechanism to reward some alpine achievement - N face of the Eiger possibly.
Very, VERY close.

Gmburns2000

Oct 22, 2009, 4:54 PM
Post #8 of 33 (14336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
dolphja wrote:
Well let's not turn this into another thread on how cool/stupid climbing in the Olympics would be, you are correct on one point - climbing was never in the Olympics.

Never the less the Olympic committee did indeed award a gold medal/gold medals for climbing, but only once. It was not for performance during the Olympics. But keep guessing...

was it either your mom or dad? can't remember which one participated.

subantz

Oct 22, 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #9 of 33 (14309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think they stopped rope climbing in the early 60's if I remember correctly. I had seen something about it on J.Gills web site a while back.
www.johngill.net website here If no clicky someone fix for me please. I cant ever seem to get it right.

dolphja

Oct 22, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #10 of 33 (14299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

that's a pretty interesting read! i'll let everyone else find it since i didn't know the answer off hand.

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 6:47 PM
Post #11 of 33 (14264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dolphja] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

that's a pretty interesting read! i'll let everyone else find it since i didn't know the answer off hand.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat stuff.

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 6:48 PM
Post #12 of 33 (14264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:
dolphja wrote:

was it either your mom or dad? can't remember which one participated.
It was my dad that participated, but that was for the 400m hurdles, not for climbing.
Alas, he never won a medal, but he did make the semi's in both Munich and Mexico City.

Gmburns2000

Oct 22, 2009, 7:02 PM
Post #13 of 33 (14254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
I think they stopped rope climbing in the early 60's if I remember correctly. I had seen something about it on J.Gills web site a while back.
http://www.johngill.net website here If no clicky someone fix for me please. I cant ever seem to get it right.

Gmburns2000

Oct 22, 2009, 7:03 PM
Post #14 of 33 (14253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikos Andriakopoulos in 1896

edit: oops, sorry, didn't see the "mountain" clarification.

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Oct 22, 2009, 7:04 PM)

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #15 of 33 (14231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

That is correct, we're not talking about rope climbing. Also, I said no searching beeeotch!

Gmburns2000

Oct 22, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #16 of 33 (14216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

That is correct, we're not talking about rope climbing. Also, I said no searching beeeotch!

Laugh

petsfed

Oct 22, 2009, 9:07 PM
Post #17 of 33 (14207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

Heinrich Harrer and company, for the first ascent of the Eiger Nordwand in 1938. Harrer mentions in the White Spider that he considered meeting Hitler to be no different than meeting any other head of state.

Didn't the US and UK (amongst others) boycott that one?

(This post was edited by petsfed on Oct 22, 2009, 9:08 PM)

sungam

Oct 22, 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #18 of 33 (14177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Climbing and the Olympics trivia question... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

Heinrich Harrer and company, for the first ascent of the Eiger Nordwand in 1938. Harrer mentions in the White Spider that he considered meeting Hitler to be no different than meeting any other head of state.

Inkorekt. Hitler did not have the authority to award an Olympic medal - that right is reserved to the Olympic committee. Still very close to the answer, though.

agentmm

Oct 22, 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #19 of 33 (14175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Michael Phelps, 2008...
For climbing the figurative "Eiger" and winning so much gold it was sickening...
The IOC needed more publicity, and since he is bigger then they are, they decided to give him a medal for getting medals (and summiting this mountain I speak of...figuratively)

olderic

Oct 23, 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #20 of 33 (14161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
petsfed wrote:
sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

Inkorekt. Hitler did not have the authority to award an Olympic medal - that right is reserved to the Olympic committee. Still very close to the answer, though.

Still haven't snuck a peek at the answer but I know the first successful ascent of the Eiger (N Face) was in 38 and the Berlin Olympics proceeded that by 2 years (of course we didn't boycott those - ever hear of Jesse Owens?). So I'm trying to come up with some noteworthy climb taht would have happned just before the 36 Olympics. All I can remember is Cassin stuff - but he was Italian. Merckl for something? Bauer - when was that Himalayan stuff happening? But those weren't successful. Going to peek soon.

hafilax

Oct 23, 2009, 1:00 AM
Post #21 of 33 (14152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was sure olderic was going to remember the day it happened. Wink

sungam

Oct 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #22 of 33 (14119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sungam wrote:
petsfed wrote:
sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

Still haven't snuck a peek at the answer but I know the first successful ascent of the Eiger (N Face) was in 38 and the Berlin Olympics proceeded that by 2 years (of course we didn't boycott those - ever hear of Jesse Owens?). So I'm trying to come up with some noteworthy climb taht would have happned just before the 36 Olympics. All I can remember is Cassin stuff - but he was Italian. Merckl for something? Bauer - when was that Himalayan stuff happening? But those weren't successful. Going to peek soon.
Just to clarify, I was saying close to the right climb. The '38 Olympics had about zilch to do with it - and hitler was not a political leader at this point, though you have the right nationality.

olderic

Oct 23, 2009, 1:19 PM
Post #23 of 33 (14101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
sungam wrote:
petsfed wrote:
sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

Just to clarify, I was saying close to the right climb. The '38 Olympics had about zilch to do with it - and hitler was not a political leader at this point, though you have the right nationality.

'36 Olympics (not '38). So we are talking about the medal being awarded at a point in time when Hitler was NOT a political leader (~1932-1945)? But the climb was "close" to the N Face of the Eiger? That seems inconsistent but possible - what does "close" mean - geographically? chronologically? Capturing the public's attention? Was this medal award related to ANY particular Olmpics?

sungam

Oct 23, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #24 of 33 (14089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
sungam wrote:
petsfed wrote:
sungam wrote:
olderic wrote:
Very, VERY close.

'36 Olympics (not '38). So we are talking about the medal being awarded at a point in time when Hitler was NOT a political leader (~1932-1945)? But the climb was "close" to the N Face of the Eiger? That seems inconsistent but possible - what does "close" mean - geographically? chronologically? Capturing the public's attention? Was this medal award related to ANY particular Olmpics?
heheh, too many hints!
Hitler was NOT a political leader at the time, and there was no Olympics the year of the ascent. The climb in questions is "close" to the N face of the Eiger sort-of geographically (it's in the same range), but more... well, in that range there are a few mountains which are known internationally.

sungam

Oct 23, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #25 of 33 (14068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to apologize, I'm now receiving mixed information now. Apparently there was more then one time that the Olympic gold medal was awarded for Alpinism. There have been 25 awards made, and none of them have been guessed yet.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook