RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

lalavina

Oct 28, 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #1 of 24 (5070 views)
Shortcut

Why are baby showers lame?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been racking my brain to come up with ideas for theme and games for my friend's baby shower. As any mere mortal would do, I resorted to Google. Now I know why most people dread baby showers- bc they are usually freakin lame. None of those Google results seem cool. So god help me if I throw a lamo shower for my awesome climber/mountaineer chicka. I mean, come on, she's pregnant and still climbing hard.. I can't throw a pink-decor shower with a stupid diaper cake being the main attraction.. I need more ideas, cool ideas from you kickass ladies. Cool games? Cool themes? Wink

granite_grrl

Oct 28, 2009, 1:19 PM
Post #2 of 24 (5049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lalavina] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Any party that you have where the main activity is sitting around and watching the guest of honour open presents is going to be lame IMO (please forgive me, I have been to very few showers, wedding, baby, or otherwise, but this seemed to be the main activity at them and I didn't like it).

lalavina

Oct 28, 2009, 1:34 PM
Post #3 of 24 (5047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's true...

Partner macherry

Oct 28, 2009, 4:46 PM
Post #4 of 24 (5032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they are all just big gift grabs...and i've actually had baby and wedding showers.

the only one that really meant anything was the baby shower my aunts, mom and sisters held for me. it was a gathering of family and one of the last times my grand mother was at a family party. there was no games, stupid dress up or any of that crap. just lots of love and family.

lena_chita

Oct 29, 2009, 7:48 AM
Post #5 of 24 (5000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's a BABY shower, O.K.? The mother's occupation does not matter. She could be a climber, a secretary, or a world-class scientist, or a computer programmer.

The point of a baby shower is to outfit the family for the arrival of the new family member, because they will need a lot of things.

It makes a lot less sense in modern times, when you can just buy everything, than it did in the old times, when the clothes and blankets and diapers, etc., needed to be sewn or knitted/quilted, and crib made, etc.

But I can tell you that I appreciated the changing table that my co-workers bought for me, and every outfit/blanket/toy that people gave me as gifts. My baby shower was actually AFTER my son was born, b/c he came early...

You don't need a pink frilly theme and a diaper cake as centerpiece. You can just make it a potluck with the slide show of your friend's awesomest climbing pictures, if that is what you want. You can give practical gifts that will be useful for an outdoorsy parent, like a Sherpani backpack for the kid, instead of giving her a bottle warmer and a diaper bag.

You don't have to play any of the silly baby shower games... you don't have to play ANY games. Or, you can modify them to suit your friend's personality and the guests that are going to be there.

clee03m

Oct 29, 2009, 4:03 PM
Post #6 of 24 (4964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am refusing to have a baby shower for myself. Exclaiming "awhhh" over and over doesn't really seem like a fun thing to do.

But if people just want an excuse to get together in this wet and cold weather to have fun, I'd be all for that--as long as there was a no gift policy, and all involved agreed to this.

I've always hated baby showers; why subject my friends to the same torture?

bill_in_tokyo

Oct 30, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #7 of 24 (4934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought that the issue with baby showers is how high?

I mean - a shower of babies from say two meters up: not really a big deal, right? They're pretty light and pretty soft.

On the other hand, if I have to deal with a shower of babies from 10 or 20 meters up, I want my helmet.

(Congrats to your friend, by the way...)

airscape

Oct 30, 2009, 3:08 AM
Post #8 of 24 (4930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am sure that the only reason there is such a thing is to shower the baby with gifts. Otherwise you have to go and buy all the nappies and crap by yourself.

The "aaawwwwhh" is just a thing woman say to stop them from saying "you smug bitch, why did you invite me, you just want me here to give you gifts."

Atleast men don't have to go through that crap.

lena_chita

Oct 30, 2009, 7:12 AM
Post #9 of 24 (4920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
I am refusing to have a baby shower for myself. Exclaiming "awhhh" over and over doesn't really seem like a fun thing to do.

But if people just want an excuse to get together in this wet and cold weather to have fun, I'd be all for that--as long as there was a no gift policy, and all involved agreed to this.

I've always hated baby showers; why subject my friends to the same torture?

Why such rigidity?

It is wonderful that you are an independent woman with means to afford all the baby stuff you need.

But have you considered that your close friends might actually WANT to give you something for the baby? That they might actually be excited and happy for you, and might actually want to do something nice for you and that giving something for your future chiuld is their way to express it?

It is somewhat sad that the only baby showers you have attended were the showers that you were obligated to attend for some reason, while hating the mother, the party, and the rest of it. Sometimes we do things because we feel obliged to. Sometimes we participate in a baby shower for a co-worker not because we are bossom friends with that co-worker, but because it would look more weird not to participate, when the entire office is being part of it.

But surely there are people in your life that you WANT to give gifts to? Not because you are obligated to, but because you just want to do something nice for them?

There is a fine line between being independent&self-sufficient and pushing people away by saying that you don't need or want their help or gifts, and they should bugger off. They say that it takes a village to raise a child for a reason. "I can do it all by myself" is an admirable attitude, but if you take it too far, your life will be poorer for it.

There are mothers-to-be who register in 3 stores for the event and want baby showers that invite 100+ people. There are women who hint heavily to all their friends that they want this or that, and needle their friends into doing this shower thingie for them, or plan things so they are getting several showers-- one from family, one from co-workers, one from friends...

Lame. Tacky. You don't have to be that woman.

Maybe if you just keep quiet and don't ever mention baby showers, no one will stir themselves to throw one for you. But if someone goes through the trouble of organizing this for you, WITHOUT you ever hinting that you want a baby shower, the least you can do is accept the gift gracefully. And yes, saying "awwwh" while opening that gift is not too arduous a task...

wonderwoman

Oct 30, 2009, 7:30 AM
Post #10 of 24 (4915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I threw a post-baby shower for my sister-in-law, so that all of our family could meet my nephew. Presents were optional, but people did bring them.

If you want to make things interesting, anytime someone says 'aaawwww', make them take a shot of tequila.

But what's most important is fulfilling what the mother-to-be wants. It's her first baby, so make it memorable for her. If she wants a frilly, sappy, baby shower, then you should smile and provide that for her.

lalavina

Oct 30, 2009, 7:33 AM
Post #11 of 24 (4910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hehehe. tequila shots at a baby shower. awesome.

lhwang

Oct 30, 2009, 8:14 AM
Post #12 of 24 (4902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like baby showers either. I didn't have a shower before my wedding or a staggette. We didn't register anywhere for wedding gifts... if asked, we suggested that people make a donation to charity instead.

There is something about the focus on gift giving at baby showers that makes me uncomfortable. For me, it's cultural. If you give a Korean a gift, chances are that he or she will thank you, then put it away to be opened later in private. Sitting around in a circle opening a pile of gifts would make me very uncomfortable.

clee03m

Oct 30, 2009, 8:43 AM
Post #13 of 24 (4896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Baby showers have already come up, and I don't think I am pushing anyone away by telling them I've never liked them. Certainly that is not what I sense from them. They've just chuckled like they expected that anyways and threaten to rub my belly. I've suggested other options like having a party but instead of gifts, donating to the Index fund (one of our best areas is in threat of being sold for mining). Beside, my climbing partner friends are already giving me gifts by doing things like giving up leading at the gym in fear they would collide with me, leading every route outside enthusiastically, or inviting me to come to JT knowing I can't lead and not being certain how well I would even be able to follow. And if they choose to, tolerating my baby when I need to bring him to crags or the gym would be the biggest gift they can give me.

I have to say, now that there is this tequila shot idea, baby showers are looking a bit more attractive Smile But I would like to wait until I have the baby so I can participate!

lena_chita

Oct 30, 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #14 of 24 (4877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
I don't like baby showers either. I didn't have a shower before my wedding or a staggette. We didn't register anywhere for wedding gifts... if asked, we suggested that people make a donation to charity instead.

I did not have a wedding shower either. It is not customary where I come from, and neither are baby showers. In fact, where I come from, it is considered a bad idea to give gifts for the baby before there is a baby. People usually bring gifts when they come to visit after the baby is born.

I was the first one of my circle of friends to have a baby. I have never been to a baby shower at that point. I didn't even know that there was such thing as a baby shower. I didn't have family here, and nobody was asking me if I wanted a shower, or what I wanted for it. It was truly a surprize when my co-workers organized one for me. It was very small, just ~10 close people. Maybe my gratitude towards them is what shaped my opinion of baby showers... And for the record, it did not involve pink frills, curly ribbons, or diaper cakes.

lhwang wrote:
There is something about the focus on gift giving at baby showers that makes me uncomfortable. For me, it's cultural. If you give a Korean a gift, chances are that he or she will thank you, then put it away to be opened later in private. Sitting around in a circle opening a pile of gifts would make me very uncomfortable.

Who said that you have to open the gifts at the shower? It is true, this is how things were done at couple showers I have been to, but I also have been at the showers where the gifts were not opened at the party, but later in private.

kiwiprincess

Oct 31, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #15 of 24 (4825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A nice lunch out with good friends and family can't be too bad no matter what happens.
I like to buy a pedicure as a gift since most ladies can't reach their feet anymore

Games

The game where you have a famous person on your head but baby related eg: Octo mum, Angelina jolie,etc.

Guess the baby food flavour.

wonderwoman

Nov 1, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #16 of 24 (4792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually just had to look into a case where the nail technician accidentally nicked a pregnant women's foot during a pedicure and then put her bleeding foot back in the foot bath. No thoughts about infection or blood borne pathogens, or her general safety. It was not pleasant!

Sorry to bring this up, but it's something that's freaky and fresh in my mind! Unsure

clausti

Nov 2, 2009, 3:40 AM
Post #17 of 24 (4766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

baby showers, in my experience, are actually a lot more fun than wedding showers, with the caveat that both are really a lot more fun if the people involved actually know each other. as in, wedding shower for my one sister that was mostly her college friends who i didn't know: kind of awkward and full of cheezy games. wedding shower for my other sister that was family and long time family friends where everybody knew each other: lots of fun.

i second the potluck idea. potlucks where you bring the recipe to share are always fun.

kiwiprincess

Nov 2, 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #18 of 24 (4724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gross!

clee03m

Nov 3, 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #19 of 24 (4660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a patient with methecillin resistant Staph Aureus (MRSA) infection on foot that needed surgical debridement from a pedicure. Another one where your run of the mill bug, but still needing a surgical debridement. Ick.

acacongua

Nov 11, 2009, 8:42 AM
Post #20 of 24 (4540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like what Lena had to say - that it's about outfitting the family with necessities.

But it's more than that. If you're getting mom2B together with her closest friends, you're letting her know that you're celebrating the next step in her life and that you're there for her. Did anyone see the episode of Sex and the City where Miranda had a baby and then felt shunned by her friends because she now came with a noisy, pooing, vomiting "purse"?

It doesn't have to be pink and frilly; it could be another get-together but this time, with gifts. It could even include the guys.

Gmburns2000

Nov 20, 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #21 of 24 (4401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
I like what Lena had to say - that it's about outfitting the family with necessities.

But it's more than that. If you're getting mom2B together with her closest friends, you're letting her know that you're celebrating the next step in her life and that you're there for her. Did anyone see the episode of Sex and the City where Miranda had a baby and then felt shunned by her friends because she now came with a noisy, pooing, vomiting "purse"?

It doesn't have to be pink and frilly; it could be another get-together but this time, with gifts. It could even include the guys.

fixed

rockie

Nov 22, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #22 of 24 (4348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never appealed to me to be honest.

Then I tried to arrange one with some friends outdoors at a favourite park by the beach while I was pregnant and it was a disaster, I did not realize I picked an evening when an event was going on so there was no free parking around, and to top it all the traffic was halted in Vancouver due to a bike parade type of thing.

I had one guest... a white big bird that was nosey and hopped on the table and took a bite out of the table mat I put on the table to identify myself. I told the bird that it is not edible. Tongue

After that I did not bother again, so no baby shower here.

martyseilh

Sep 21, 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #23 of 24 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"baby showers, in my experience, are actually a lot more fun than wedding showers, "

As for me baby shower is much more exciting and fun because almost of you there in the party are excited to the baby.

onwardupward

Sep 30, 2010, 2:32 PM
Post #24 of 24 (3556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [martyseilh] Why are baby showers lame? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard a good idea for a shower on the radio not that long ago. Everyone brings their gift unwrapped and they all get set out on a table/ in a separate room with a tag saying who from. That way everyone sees the presents but there's not oohing and ahhing that lasts for hours. I just avoid showers if at all possible, but sometimes ya gotta go.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook