Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Match for a single Taa k oon, or get something else?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

joeforte

Oct 30, 2009, 2:01 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1154 views)
Shortcut

Match for a single Taa k oon, or get something else?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know when I can get a single, brand new, Taa k oon for very, very cheap. The problem is, I can't find another one to complete the set! Would any of the other new grivel tools go well with a taakoon? It seems like a few of them have very similar shape, I just don't want to develop a crooked swing!

BTW, I just got into ice climbing last year, and I'm HOOKED. I started out the season leashed on some junk 45cm straight shaft omega tools, but quickly dropped the leashes and rigged up some pinky rests (I was smashing my pinkies anyway haha). I was leading WI3+, and would like to break into harder grades and some possible mixed and alpine ice in the next few years. Is this a good tool for me, or should I go with something less radical and lighter? Oh yeah, my grad student budget is tight!

jaablink

Oct 30, 2009, 2:15 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Match for a single Taa k oon, or get something else? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I saw a used set of these at the IME. If you are intrested, I can check tomorrow and get back to you….yes you can buy just one...

mushroom

Oct 30, 2009, 2:20 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Match for a single Taa k oon, or get something else? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could try eBay if you have patience. I saw a single one go up a couple weeks ago. It's mate has to be out there somewhere, ya?

As your grad student research skills have told you, it's fecking hard to get Grivel products these days in NA since the end of our beloved supplier. Not to mention I don't believe Grivel makes the Taa K oon anymore.

How do you say that, anyway?
Ta Ka Ooon? Or like Takoon? Maybe Ta Kay Oon?

Good luck.

p.s. the taa k oon replaced the grivel tech wing... I don't know about how the pair would work because I've never used the taa k oon. But a thought anyway.

Interested in Grivel Alp Monsters? I'll sell you a brand new pair, with tags, for $200 shipped to the continental US. ngrybauskas at gmail dot com

joeforte

Oct 30, 2009, 4:00 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] Match for a single Taa k oon, or get something else? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If there is still a single for sale at IME, let me know John, I want it!

I think Alp monsters might be a bit small for what I'm looking for, but thanks for the offer!

the_climber

Oct 30, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
I know when I can get a single, brand new, Taa k oon for very, very cheap. The problem is, I can't find another one to complete the set! Would any of the other new grivel tools go well with a taakoon? It seems like a few of them have very similar shape, I just don't want to develop a crooked swing!

BTW, I just got into ice climbing last year, and I'm HOOKED. I started out the season leashed on some junk 45cm straight shaft omega tools, but quickly dropped the leashes and rigged up some pinky rests (I was smashing my pinkies anyway haha). I was leading WI3+, and would like to break into harder grades and some possible mixed and alpine ice in the next few years. Is this a good tool for me, or should I go with something less radical and lighter? Oh yeah, my grad student budget is tight!

Call the Calgary MEC location. They had a few in there the other week.

tradmanclimbs

Oct 30, 2009, 9:05 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Match for a single Taa k oon, or get something else? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While a matched set is nice it is certainly not critical. We NEVER had matched sets BITD. allmost everyone climbed with a longer ax in one hand and a shorter hammer of some sort in the other. My crazy set up for awhile was a 60cm Chiounard ax in my weak hand and a 43cm Humming bird in my strong hand. wanted the hammer in my strong hand for starting screws and pounding snargs.

(This post was edited by tradmanclimbs on Oct 31, 2009, 1:08 AM)

jaablink

Oct 30, 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IME was closed by the time we left the cliff. Check on that tomorrow. Tradmanclimbs is right. check this clip out...
http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=channel

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook