Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rudmin

Nov 4, 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #1 of 26 (12574 views)
Shortcut

Dog Ate My Jacket
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Brand new OR down jacket arrived two days ago, and I just came home to feathers everywhere.

The good news is that Outdoor Research said they would still cover it under their infinite guarantee.

Anyone else lose some pricey gear to curious K9s?

lena_chita

Nov 4, 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #2 of 26 (12550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, nice that OR would replace it.

I can see why a dog might be interested. My down jacket smells like a combination of woodsmoke and bedraggled chicken.

K9s are not part of the family, but my friend had a dog pee on her tent once... yuck!

ShibbyShane

Nov 5, 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #3 of 26 (12503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, hope you punished that dog a bit. Not cool.

Basta916

Nov 5, 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #4 of 26 (12495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ShibbyShane] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ShibbyShane wrote:

Hope that owner learned not to leave fun new toys within easy reach.Unimpressed

ShibbyShane

Nov 5, 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #5 of 26 (12490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Basta916] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Basta916 wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:

That too. Crazy

evanwish

Nov 5, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #6 of 26 (12453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow OR is AMAZING!

code08

Nov 5, 2009, 1:58 AM
Post #7 of 26 (12453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is why cats are better; all they do is sit on your stuff and make it full of hair.

hafilax

Nov 5, 2009, 2:01 AM
Post #8 of 26 (12449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [code08] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

code08 wrote:
This is why cats are better; all they do is sit on your stuff and make it full of hair.

[image]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4076064879_348c45ff5b.jpg[/image]
Only if they're declawed.

Would it be cruel to detooth a dog?

Partner angry

Nov 5, 2009, 2:08 AM
Post #9 of 26 (12441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

code08 wrote:

I've only ever heard this one story about a dog messing with gear. Cats seem to piss on climbing gear on a daily basis. Do a search, you'll see.

rhythm164

Nov 5, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #10 of 26 (12411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ouch, that sucks. Never lost gear, but my dog chewed the my "Dog Training for Dummies" book when he was a pup...

reno

Nov 5, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #11 of 26 (12387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Basta916] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Basta916 wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:

Ed Zachary.

Easy to blame the dog. Harder to admit "I fucked up."

curt

Nov 5, 2009, 3:59 AM
Post #12 of 26 (12377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Basta916 wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:

Ed Zachary.

In addition, punishing the dog after the fact (i.e., unless you actually catch him in the act) will serve absolutely no purpose--because the dog will not connect the punishment to his earlier action.

Curt

reno

Nov 5, 2009, 4:03 AM
Post #13 of 26 (12371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
reno wrote:
Basta916 wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:

Ed Zachary.

In addition, punishing the dog after the fact (i.e., unless you actually catch him in the act) will serve absolutely no purpose--because the dog will not connect the punishment to his earlier action.

Curt

Absolutely 100% correct.

If the punishment/correction doesn't happen withing a second of the bad behavior, to the dog it has no connection at all. This is something that many dog owners don't understand at all.

Very, very wise statement, Curt. Kudos for bringing it up.

acorneau

Nov 5, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #14 of 26 (12362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
code08 wrote:

I've only ever heard this one story about a dog messing with gear. Cats seem to piss on climbing gear on a daily basis. Do a search, you'll see.

Happened to me about 8 or 9 years ago. Cat pissed on my gym bag.

The few nickels and pennies and the pair of nail clippers I had in the bottom were corroded. The harness was a loss. Luckily it was getting close to retirement anyway and I was able to wash out the shoes without too much problem.

Still, I'd rather not go through that again. Frown

ShibbyShane

Nov 5, 2009, 7:25 AM
Post #15 of 26 (12318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
curt wrote:
reno wrote:
Basta916 wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:

Ed Zachary.

Curt

Absolutely 100% correct.

If the punishment/correction doesn't happen withing a second of the bad behavior, to the dog it has no connection at all. This is something that many dog owners don't understand at all.

Very, very wise statement, Curt. Kudos for bringing it up.

Yes yes, you're both correct. I'm guilty of thinking that such comments go without saying. Guess we all know what happens when you ASSume, eh?

code08

Nov 5, 2009, 4:52 PM
Post #16 of 26 (12257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
angry wrote:
code08 wrote:

Happened to me about 8 or 9 years ago. Cat pissed on my gym bag.

The few nickels and pennies and the pair of nail clippers I had in the bottom were corroded. The harness was a loss. Luckily it was getting close to retirement anyway and I was able to wash out the shoes without too much problem.

Still, I'd rather not go through that again. Frown

It's true. While my cat has never peed on my gear she seems to really like doing her business on my room mates clothes Laugh

photoguy190

Nov 5, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #17 of 26 (12239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My little jack russell pup is always going after my fleece and hard shell. I understand the hard shell I keep treats in the pockets, but I don't understand her fascination with my fleece there are no pockets and doesn't really smell to me. With the fleece its so bad she will cry if she sees it and can't chew on it, I'm afraid as she gets bigger it will succumb to the teeth. if it wasn't my fave I would give it to her. I've found most bad dog behavior is the humans fault. Obedience class is all about training you and not your dog.

jmvc

Nov 10, 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #18 of 26 (12098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
reno wrote:
Basta916 wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:

Ed Zachary.

Curt

dynosore

Nov 10, 2009, 1:37 PM
Post #19 of 26 (12065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never any climbing gear, but...when my Kuvasz male was a pup he ate my leather jacket, then 2 days later bit thru my contact case, destroying a very expensive toric lens. Total bill around 500$. As Curt said, I didn't punish him because I didn't catch him. He grew up to be a wonderful dog, man I miss him Frown

blueeyedclimber

Nov 10, 2009, 1:43 PM
Post #20 of 26 (12061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
code08 wrote:

Only boy cats do this. They are marking their territory.

Funny story: Before Tiff and I were married I was staying over her place and left my bag in the hallway. Her roommates cat then proceeded to think that my bag and the clothes inside were his "territory." Got up the next morning and got dressed. We were helping a friend move that day. We get done for the day and i start to wonder what that smell is that i have been smelling ALL day (not to mention the yellow stains on my shirt). Upon closer inspection, I realize that it's cat pee and I have been wearing it all day.

I threw out the shirt, but wanted to save the bag. After multiple washes with soap and vinegar, I ended up tossing the bag, too. That's the last time I ever left anything in the hall.

Josh

granite_grrl

Nov 10, 2009, 1:52 PM
Post #21 of 26 (12057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
angry wrote:
code08 wrote:

Funny story: Before Tiff and I were married I was staying over her place and left my bag in the hallway. Her roommates cat then proceeded to think that my bag and the clothes inside were his "territory." Got up the next morning and got dressed. We were helping a friend move that day. We get done for the day and i start to wonder what that smell is that i have been smelling ALL day (not to mention the yellow stains on my shirt). Upon closer inspection, I realize that it's cat pee and I have been wearing it all day.

I threw out the shirt, but wanted to save the bag. After multiple washes with soap and vinegar, I ended up tossing the bag, too. That's the last time I ever left anything in the hall.

Josh
Of all the cats I've know, I've never known a cat who's done this.

We have a male cat the has no territorial issues. In fact, he seems to love it when he gets to stay at someone else's house, especially if they also have pets that he can be friends with.

I've been told that spraying only becomes a problem if you don't neuter a cat before sexual maturity, so it's possible that I have only know male cats that have been fixed at the appropriate time.

Partner camhead

Nov 10, 2009, 1:55 PM
Post #22 of 26 (12057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
angry wrote:
code08 wrote:

Josh

Actually, our female cat pees quite a bit inside; it's fucking obnoxious. We keep her in the basement at night, and presumably the previous owners had a dog or cat that peed in the corners quite a bit; our cat took this as being all right to do the same, and I had to completely tear up the carpet, repaint and seal the floor, and redo the walls to get the smell out. And she still pees down there every once in a while; it's just easier to clean up now.

Furthermore, on at least one occasion, she has noticed that we are packing to go on a climbing trip, and out of pure spite for us leaving, has peed ON A CRAG PACK. Cats are vindictive assholes, way more than dogs.

Anyone want a free cat?

dynosore

Nov 10, 2009, 2:01 PM
Post #23 of 26 (12053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
angry wrote:
code08 wrote:

Josh

Actually, our female cat pees quite a bit inside; it's fucking obnoxious. We keep her in the basement at night, and presumably the previous owners had a dog or cat that peed in the corners quite a bit; our cat took this as being all right to do the same, and I had to completely tear up the carpet, repaint and seal the floor, and redo the walls to get the smell out. And she still pees down there every once in a while; it's just easier to clean up now.

Furthermore, on at least one occasion, she has noticed that we are packing to go on a climbing trip, and out of pure spite for us leaving, has peed ON A CRAG PACK. Cats are vindictive assholes, way more than dogs.

Anyone want a free cat?

Cats have been known to get out, wander away, and never be seen again. Just sayin'

Myxomatosis

Nov 10, 2009, 2:09 PM
Post #24 of 26 (12046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Dog Ate My Jacket [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahah My auntie/uncle cat used to pee on there bed or sofa's if they went away for more than a few days... sometimes even hours.

Partner j_ung

Nov 10, 2009, 3:35 PM
Post #25 of 26 (12009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
angry wrote:
code08 wrote:

I have a girl cat that did this pretty much constantly over the course of a week. We finally realized it and put a stop to it. Turned out conditions in her litter box weren't quite right for her, so she was seeking out the next best thing, which happened to be a pile of ropes in my closet. (By the way, I was able to get the smell out of a nearby backpack by hanging it out in the sun for a couple weeks.)

A couple other brief stories...

A friend and I were camped atop Shortoff Mt, and left his dog tied up at the camp while we climbed. When we got back, his dog had shredded his sleeping bag.

I got home from the Rendezvous one Saturday night and found that another friend's dog had gotten sick, wandered into my room and diarrhea-ed all over my MH down coat. I pretty much wrote the jacket off, but my fantastic wife cleaned the hell out of it and I still wear it almost daily throughout the winter.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Nov 10, 2009, 3:36 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook