Forums: Climbing Information: General:
I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tslater

Nov 3, 2009, 7:25 PM
Post #26 of 34 (1225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
tslater wrote:
I have surfed exotic locations in far off lands (been surfing for 26 years) and they always seem better because you had to take a plane, boat, or a 4x4 truck to get there. But hit epic Rincon, Malibu, Steamers, C-Street, Hazard Canyon, Big Sur, THE RANCH (which is where I reside) you will learn that the waves in Cali (especially the off the beaten path line ups) are as good as anywhere if you're good enough to separate yourself from the pack. And from hwy 101/hwy 1 the Sierra is never farther than 3 hours east.

Well, I factor consistency in with "World Class Status", and SoCal doesn't have it. I'll give it to the big breaks north of Point Concepcion, and yes of course Rincon when it's on. Malibu? Please, the only reason why it's on the map is because it's warm in the winter (and also in the shadow for north swells) and there's 10 million people in the county so naturally it's packed. Breaks like Trestles or Blacks will show it up 99 times out of 100.

The exotic-ness certainly factors in, be it surfing or climbing, but there is some fantastic breaks out there that pound year round; much better than Cali. Costa Rica certainly isn't the most beautiful, but there's almost always something coming through if not head+, not to mention 80 degree water. It may not have the appeal of Hawaii, but it doesn't have the crowds either. In my book, more "World Class" than the islands.

Obviously you're from NorCal and I'm from SoCal, so we see this differently. SoCal surf isn't World Class for the most part and we're more like 5 hours from the Sierras. However, you guys go off in the winter, and you're not going to be getting on much Sierra rock then, unless axes and crampons are your style.

And for the record, if you live on The Ranch then your vote doesn't count - you get better, uncrowded surf than the rest of Cali combined. That's kickass.

Ha ha, yeah, looks like we have the so cal/nor cal split. It is what it is, but Cali certainly is no joke of a surf destination. Playa Hermosa, Playa Blanca, Tamarindo, Witches Rock are all great, but you're talking about fickle breaks that do get crowded (compared to Moro Bay, Big Sur, and certain reefs in between). And hell, this guy is from Canada... I've always wanted to hit J-Bay but I know it'll be crowded and may not even break when I get there, so with surf... it is hit and miss. California winter is as consistent as anywhere. You have a 95% chance of scoring everyday some kind of surf, and there is a LOT more to choose from than Costa Rica. And most other countries. Like hundreds and hundreds of miles more to choose from. And Hawaii isn't just Oahu's north shore. Kauai, Big Island... Australia is CROWDED and you gotta drive tons to get to remote spots.
Now New Zealand... actually, since I live in Cali, I would go THERE!

And you guys have to be closer to Needles than 5 hours! Too bad Williamson is dead, although not the sierra. But you got Tahquitz/Suicide and a ton of other crags within 3 hours of the coast that are worthy.

I don't see how surfing and climbing in California can be a bad bet, ESPECIALLY if you don't live here. Even WATCHING Malibu or the Wedge go off would be worth a stop! And hit Blacks and Trestles if you don't want to surf Malibu. That reinforces my point. You have a TON of breaks and crags to choose from.

And I've taken a snow mobile up to Shuteye Ridge in winter and climbed in a T-shirt. I climb year round and haven't used my axe in years. Tollhouse, Kernville Rock and River Crags, I did Nutcracker in Yosemite on Dec. 23 with snow on the ground. You can't just write off sierra granite because it's winter.

The ranch... Sat-Mon are gonna be sweeet! Get a boat and get on it!

Varanuschris

Nov 6, 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #27 of 34 (1183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First off I envy your budget. Second off I would not go to Krabi Thailand to surf. When I have been there there have been no waves to speak of and a ton of shit in the water, not the least of which are about 10,000,000 long tail boats.

As for California it's a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit. Seriously there is great rock and great surfing here but you have the opportunity for a real adventure and California isn't it.

I would at least go for Mexico if not Peru

Myxomatosis

Nov 6, 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #28 of 34 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tslater] I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NZ is the bomb but bring to wet suits if your gonna surf Laugh

chalkjockey

Nov 6, 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #29 of 34 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you are going to need someone to belay you. i'm just saying... im free.
In reply to:

asiaclimber

Nov 6, 2009, 2:38 PM
Post #30 of 34 (1159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Madagascar

tslater

Nov 6, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #31 of 34 (1130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asiaclimber] I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"I would at least go for Mexico if not Peru "

I don't know about Peru, but if you read the papers or listen to any channel of news you'll see daily blurbs about the drug war escalating to new heights and violence. You're taking more of a risk than ever. Surf if great, but not worth getting killed over. The economy is sketchy and people are desperate. Steer clear unless you're with a caravan of people, and you speak the language really well. Mexico is no place for a novice who can't speak spanish. You'll blow through your 12K just bribing your way out of prison for something you didn't even do.

secretninja

Nov 6, 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #32 of 34 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow...I wrote this right before midterms and hadn't checked back until now. I'm very impressed (and appreciative) about the amount of responses. For those who asked, I was looking at leaving sometime after christmas, and travelling until the start of fire season (I'm hoping to smoke jump this summer). I'm trying to stay away from Australia/NZ just (though I would love to see them someday) because to me they seem kind of like Canada but warmer (commonwealth, full of rich white people etc). Don't get me wrong, I love Canada, and I would likely enjoy the other two as well, but I just wanted to see something a bit different.
Right now, I'm considering two options: the road trip through western US, mexico, and then as far south as I can get before my car explodes or i run out of money/time. Hopefully i would make it as far as costa rica/nicaragua. I'm a little vague on how to do this but it sounds like a viable option. The other option was a flight somewhere really far away, ie South america, asia, or maybe even the middle east. Does anyone know anything about climbing/surf in indonesia or peru? However, i'm a little unsure of the logistics of hauling surf gear and climbing gear without the added benefit of having a car to base from. Anyway, any further suggestions would be very much appreciated and I'll be sure to keep you folks in the know.

Oh, and A_B, I also think you get the gold star for quote of the day.

tslater

Nov 8, 2009, 5:07 AM
Post #33 of 34 (1100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today in Cali...

Two guys out.

secretninja

Nov 9, 2009, 6:24 AM
Post #34 of 34 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tslater] I need travel advice. 4 months, 12 grand, and a 92 honda accord. Where to go?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Beauty!
You make a compelling argument...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook