RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kagunkie

Oct 28, 2001, 4:27 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1892 views)
Shortcut

New Discoveries
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have you ever "discovered" a cliff or area that nobody has ever climbed at before. Iv just found a new bouldering area with a couple world class problems and alot of other stuff too. What should I do? Tell alot of people or secretly work the problems so I can get the first ascents.

[sorry, I had to edit the title, the typo was hurting my head. ]

[ This Message was edited by: pianomahnn on 2001-10-28 07:42 ]

fiend

Oct 28, 2001, 4:40 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1892 views)
Shortcut

New Discoveries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Find out what kind of permissions you have for land use. Other than that it's your call, just make sure that the new problems go up on rc.com

Here's how it works, you found it, you went throught the work, so you get some alone time. You tell a friend or two, work some first ascents, then they tell a friend or two.....

People can't keep their mouth shut about stuff like this, this way it'll start small and uncrowded and eventually grow so that everyone can climb there.

jeffe

Nov 3, 2001, 2:23 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite bouldering area is about ten minutes from my house. People have climbed there for years, but one could still find solitude there. The vegitation around the boulders was beat down but no trash or mess was to be found. A truly beautiful area just to kick back and enjoy the outdoors. The only people to be seen around the boulders were climbers. Somebody posted it on a web site and the people started coming. I enjoy meeting people, so it's not that I want to keep things to myself. But when inconsiderate people come, the impact of negative land use comes with them. Every time I went there I was bringing somebodies trash home. The regulars decided to keep things word of mouth from now on. Now that the days are again short and the hub-bub is gone, things quieted down. Yesterday evening I took my nephew out for a quick session. After not being there for a few weeks I was impressed that someone policed the area well. We were having a blast. While pulling the mantle at the top of a area classic highball, I was greated by two beer caps. The site of them left me disapointed. I'm sure I've dropped a few in my day. But these two seemed to be symbolic. Is it really wrong to keep a good thing quiet?

[ This Message was edited by: jeffe on 2001-11-02 18:52 ]

beta

Nov 3, 2001, 2:32 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Be vewy vewy qwiet.

Work the problems you have discovered and then share your accomplishment with the world. That way you don't have to deal with the bottle caps and cigarette butts for a while.

Sad but true.

Jeff

orestes1724

Nov 4, 2001, 7:09 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would only tell one or two other people...get the first ascents and then let out the news. but once everyone else finds out...it wont be the same.

jer

Nov 4, 2001, 8:13 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TOO FUNNY!!!
I am in the same position you are in Kagunkie;
but my secret area is on private land and the landowner gave me the key to his gate and CABIN!
So Basically I have a wonder world of first ascents awaiting me.
Here is what I decided to do-
I have one friend I take with me (lucky punk)and put up as many First ascents as our little hands can handle over a weekend(we're talking about miles of sandstone cracks-roof-splitter-hands-fingers- you name it!!!).
Our goal is to do 50-100 routes; then share it with a handfull of our friends so they can do some routes too....after we pick the choicest lines of course.
After that- it will be our private little playground. The whole world doesn't need to know about EVERY steenkin' boulder problem/climbing area in the world. I have put up numerous routes in colorado that will never be in a guidebook- and plenty of it's on private land that noone but myself could have access to anyways.
My suggestion to you would be this- keep it to yourself and some very trustworthy friends until you just can't handle it anymore- you won't be sorry.
Jer

gretna

Nov 4, 2001, 11:29 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey jeffe,
are you talking about highball in the gov. dick rec. area.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook