Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering Maryland and around areas
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aliosa

Nov 10, 2009, 6:20 AM
Post #1 of 9 (6173 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Maryland and around areas  (North_America: United_States: Maryland)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Guys, IŽm going to the Columbia,MD for work in the middle of June. IŽll be there 6 or 12 months. IŽm looking for climbing spots. I know about New river gorge and Bubba City. I exactly wanted to go there over the weekends. But IŽll need some bouldering for almost every day climbing. IŽll work in Columbia, MD. Can you help me where is possibility to training. No indoor.
Or I you donŽt have some climbing partner just let me know. IŽm not really hard boulderist. I did four bigwalls in Yosemite walley, few walls here in Europe, and I love sport climbing. My hardest rout is 7c=5.12d in my home area.
Well please help me with looking climbing and bouldering areas in the US.
Kind regards
Ales

cclarke

Nov 10, 2009, 7:00 AM
Post #2 of 9 (6158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aliosa] Bouldering Maryland and around areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you said no indoor but your best bet is going to be Earthtreks gym in Columbia. It's a good gym.

The outdoor options for daily climbing around Columbia are somewhat limited.

cole.g

Nov 10, 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #3 of 9 (6127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.drtopo.com/guidebooks/usa/virginia/135

Never climbed there, so I can't say how good it is; however, it's close to Columbia.

-Cole

hyhuu

Nov 10, 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #4 of 9 (6117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cole.g] Bouldering Maryland and around areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cole.g wrote:
http://www.drtopo.com/guidebooks/usa/virginia/135

Never climbed there, so I can't say how good it is; however, it's close to Columbia.

-Cole

The place is about 20 mins drive from Columbia. It's not bad but summer can be very humid, buggy.

sburns4

Nov 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Bouldering Maryland and around areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That bouldering area is pretty nice. a good variety of problems and generally lots of afternoon/weekend warriors climbing. Great Fall Park and Carderrock have limited but some good climbing (more TR and trad then bouldering, the odd boulder problem is there). I had heard about some secret areas here and there so poke your head around some gyms for beta.

west_by_god_virginia

Nov 10, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should check out the frederick, md watershed area, lot of good stuff there esp. if you like a highball

cclarke

Nov 11, 2009, 4:44 AM
Post #7 of 9 (6082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sburns4] Bouldering Maryland and around areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Northwest Branch is an ok place to visit occasionally but it wouldn't work for me as a daily training area. Likewise, I couldn't imagine driving to Great Falls or Carderock from Columbia on a regular basis after work.

But that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla . . .

lofstromc

Nov 11, 2009, 6:31 AM
Post #8 of 9 (6065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You would have loved Governor's Stables in PA.
They are closed now to the public.
PA has tons of boulders lurking in the woods, you just have to ask around for them. The gym would be a good spot to meet locals and then get the info you need.

indy_md

Nov 11, 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aliosa wrote:
Hi Guys, IŽm going to the Columbia,MD for work in the middle of June. IŽll be there 6 or 12 months. IŽm looking for climbing spots. I know about New river gorge and Bubba City. I exactly wanted to go there over the weekends. But IŽll need some bouldering for almost every day climbing. IŽll work in Columbia, MD. Can you help me where is possibility to training. No indoor.
Or I you donŽt have some climbing partner just let me know. IŽm not really hard boulderist. I did four bigwalls in Yosemite walley, few walls here in Europe, and I love sport climbing. My hardest rout is 7c=5.12d in my home area.
Well please help me with looking climbing and bouldering areas in the US.
Kind regards
Ales

Ales,

Depending on what you are looking for, there is a plethora of climbing opportunities within an hour's drive of Columbia. Even some stuff within 15-20 minutes of Columbia (i.e., Ilchester, Alberton, Friction Wall, Cascade Falls, Bloede Dam, Woodstock). All are excellent for short top-ropes (or highball bouldering, though several of the areas also offer separate bouldering problems; Friction has a few hard sport routes). Most of this information can be found in the "Climb Maryland!" guide (you can get it at either EarthTreks or online through REI) with the rest being documented here:
http://indy-adventures.net/climbing/guide.html

There is even more climbing in the Patapsco State Park than what my online guide covers. John Kelbel did a huge amount of work over the past few years and put this online google earth style guide together:
http://patapscorock.blogspot.com/

Most of the areas he notes are either short top-ropes or bouldering areas. Only a handful of those are also covered in my online guide.

If you have any specific questions about stuff around Columbia, please feel free to email me. I live just a few miles away.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$21.56 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook