Premier Sponsor:

overlord

Nov 14, 2009, 7:17 AM
Post #1 of 16 (17156 views)
Shortcut

Tomaž Humar R.I.P.
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the best slovenian mountaineers Tomaz Humar passed away somewhere between monday 9. nov. 2009 and today. He was descending after a solo ascent of Langtang Lirung.

Since his solo attempt on Nanga Parbat in 2006 he kept his plans pretty secret because that attempt and the following rescue raised a lot of media attention. He called home and hes sherpas on monday, stating that he was seriously injured and then all contact with him was lost. The rescuers were grounded until today due to poor weather and when the finally could mount a rescue attempt, they found him dead at an altitude of 5600m.

First reports say that he suffered spinal injuries, some damage to the ribs and a leg, but i dont yet know how severe these were. It is most likely that he succumbed to them in the night from monday to tuesday when the contact with him was lost.

Hes adventures really split the slovenian public, some admiring hes courage, othera spurning him for hes supposed lack of common sense (some debates even touched the subject of who was to pay for hes rescue(s))... Personally, i have always believed that he knew what he was doing, even if most people couldnt imagine doing it. Our world would be a bleak place if it didnt have individuals like him, people who are willing to go beyond what other consider 'normal'.

Well, at least he passed away doing what he loved most and not because he was hit by a drunk driver while crossing the street. Rest in peace, Tomaž.

(This post was edited by overlord on Nov 14, 2009, 10:04 AM)

drytooler

Nov 14, 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #2 of 16 (17037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Tomaž Humar R.I.P. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We lost a other great Climber.R.I.P.

For some more background info tjeck

http://www.bergredding.nl/

giano

Nov 14, 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #3 of 16 (17017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I knew Tomaz quite well and I met him a lot of times. I've always been impressed by his force and his courage. We will really miss him and his extraordinary ascents!
Bye Tomaz

i_h8_choss

Nov 14, 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #4 of 16 (16921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
One of the best slovenian mountaineers Tomaz Humar passed away somewhere between monday 9. nov. 2009 and today. He was descending after a solo ascent of Langtang Lirung.

[image]http://img.rtvslo.si/_up/upload/2009/11/13/64639727_humar_show.jpg[/image]

Since his solo attempt on Nanga Parbat in 2006 he kept his plans pretty secret because that attempt and the following rescue raised a lot of media attention. He called home and hes sherpas on monday, stating that he was seriously injured and then all contact with him was lost. The rescuers were grounded until today due to poor weather and when the finally could mount a rescue attempt, they found him dead at an altitude of 5600m.

First reports say that he suffered spinal injuries, some damage to the ribs and a leg, but i dont yet know how severe these were. It is most likely that he succumbed to them in the night from monday to tuesday when the contact with him was lost.

Hes adventures really split the slovenian public, some admiring hes courage, othera spurning him for hes supposed lack of common sense (some debates even touched the subject of who was to pay for hes rescue(s))... Personally, i have always believed that he knew what he was doing, even if most people couldnt imagine doing it. Our world would be a bleak place if it didnt have individuals like him, people who are willing to go beyond what other consider 'normal'.

Well, at least he passed away doing what he loved most and not because he was hit by a drunk driver while crossing the street. Rest in peace, Tomaž.

R.I.P. Tomaz.
You will continue to be an inspiration.
He passed away doing what he loves, and that deserves the upmost respect, in my opinion.
May his soul tranform into something beautiful.

Partner camhead

Nov 14, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #5 of 16 (16817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Tomaž Humar R.I.P. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, RIP Tomaz. I was almost expecting him to walk away from this one, as he had from all his earlier epics.

moose_droppings

Nov 14, 2009, 3:51 PM
Post #6 of 16 (16771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The last report I had read didn't sound good, now this confirms the worst.

My condolences to all his family and to all that knew him as a friend.

RIP

overlord

Nov 14, 2009, 4:12 PM
Post #7 of 16 (16748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Tomaž Humar R.I.P. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Damn, RIP Tomaz. I was almost expecting him to walk away from this one, as he had from all his earlier epics.

me too. he was the kind of man that just wouldnt go down, no matter what. no disease, illness, nothing seemed to matter to him. the only thing that did affect him was the death of hes friend and climbing partner janez jeglič on nuptse in 1997. i think that was hes last expedition with a team or in a pair. you cant loose a friend if you're soloing Wink

(This post was edited by overlord on Nov 14, 2009, 4:13 PM)

dynosore

Nov 14, 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #8 of 16 (16671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rest in peace Tomaz. I've always admired him and Anatoli Boukreev as the greatest mountaineers of my generation. None of the glitz and glamour, just out there doing things I could scarcely comprehend. I never was that interested in "famous" climbers, but I would have loved to meet Tomaz. The real deal.

gblauer

Nov 14, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #9 of 16 (16612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Tomaž Humar R.I.P. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to friends and family.

(Seems like I have written this way too many times this year!)

maldaly

Nov 14, 2009, 9:46 PM
Post #10 of 16 (16489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is so sad to hear. Another great one down. Too many this year. Too many any year. I'll miss you Tomaz although I won't miss the scary, bone-crushing handshake. Last time we were together I actually ran from that. Hugs are better. Glad we got a last one in. My thoughts go out to your wife and kids.

Climb safe,
Mal

Costa

Nov 15, 2009, 8:54 AM
Post #11 of 16 (16286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is terrible news i just read the book on his life a few months back. Seems like he was such a character.

Atleast he could say he lived his life to the max and always pushing the boundries.

Partner j_ung

Nov 15, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #12 of 16 (16208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Costa] Tomaž Humar R.I.P. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The deadly year continues. I'm so sorry for Tamaz' family and friends. You guys are in my thoughts.

overlord

Nov 16, 2009, 8:40 AM
Post #13 of 16 (16052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Tomaž Humar R.I.P. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, this year is quite hard on mountaneers. this is the second dead slovenian alpinist in Himalaya this year...

bbc article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/...uth_asia/8360519.stm

sknowlton

Nov 16, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #14 of 16 (15955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rest in the deep peace and silence of the mountains, Tomaz.

Too many this year.

dolphja

Nov 16, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #15 of 16 (15930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sknowlton] Tomaž Humar R.I.P. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

... yea, too many tragic losses this year...Frown be careful out there brothers & sisters

(This post was edited by dolphja on Nov 16, 2009, 7:59 PM)

barbara.mencej

Nov 25, 2009, 5:37 PM
Post #16 of 16 (15502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He died before he had chance to get old so as many extreme climbers. I guess he would do everything again if he could, despite he knew his risks. I hope his soul and spirit now rest in peace and for all of us he will be constant reminder that if you really want something, you need to do it but it could also cost you a life. And so as great Slovene Himalayan climber Nejc Zaplotnik wrote in his book, so we all should live and appreciate every single day:

slo: Kdor isce cilj, bo ostal prazen, ko ga bo nasel.
Kdor najde pot, bo cilj vedno nosil v sebi.

engl: Who is looking just for the goal, will stay empty when he finds it.
But the one who finds the way, will always carry his goal inside.

Tomaž R.I.P.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjysy1LwYc

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook