RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

bandidopeco

Nov 18, 2009, 8:28 AM
Post #1 of 2 (592 views)
Shortcut

Suggestions for Routes section
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have two suggestions for the Routes section.

First, It would be nice if you could put in sub-sections. Browsing, for example, the Owens River Gorge site is difficult because there are too many routes in each section, maybe over 100. It would be nice if you could break up the Central Gorge into it's parts, like the Great Wall of China and Social Platform. This could make it much simpler to browse.

Second, It would be nice if multi-pitch routes could be their own mini-section. Maybe it's just my ego talking, but I want to put down my onsite of the second pitch of monkey fingers, even though I fell on the 5th pitch. also Having a description of each pitch could be helpful. (It could be tricky with some routes where pitches can easily be strung together.)

comments/criticisms? Am I totally missing how to do these things?

kachoong

Dec 9, 2009, 7:45 AM
Post #2 of 2 (502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandidopeco] Suggestions for Routes section [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This could be a tricky issue given the format of the RDB as it exists. Once you put a "Climbing Area" in the DB tree, I believe it only gives you one level of Climbing "Sections" before listing the routes within that section. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it now. Putting in another level of Sections or "Sub-sections" could be either beneficial or redundant depending on the climbing area, so if it's made optional this could work out.

Most multi-pitch routes as it is are described fairly well in the current DB. It depends on the amount of time and detail is put into the climb description. If climbs were broken down, in the database to "Pitches", this could become quite messy. I see where you're coming from though to be able to say you onsighted/redpointed/seconded particular pitches. One can onsight the pitches they lead but fall on second, but the system of ticks in the climbing log doesn't allow for clean ascents vs ascents with a rest... I guess this could be put down as "Hangdog", but some might not see resting once on second as hangdogging.

An idea may be that on the "Add a Route" screen where it states "Number of Pitches", if more than one pitch was selected it could then open up further to allow you to grade each pitch and also give it a length. Again, unless done well this could become very messy.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$49.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook