Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

moeman

Dec 6, 2002, 2:33 PM
Post #26 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

what's the word on the madrocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lets face it, even if these "gimmicks" don't mean anything and they are just average shoes, it is still a smokin' deal. They're dirt cheap, a neccesity to people like me, a high school student with next to no cash. And if some of "gimmicks" do work, you have found the best deal in the universe.

Good Shoes + Low Price= Hell YEAH!

epic_ed

Dec 6, 2002, 3:11 PM
Post #27 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funk -- have you tried the shoes? No? Cool, then we've established that you have nothing to offer to this particular thread. Thanks for playin'.

Ed

josher

Dec 6, 2002, 3:58 PM
Post #28 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the whole climbing shoe industry started as a gimmick. You think five-ten and there new mesas with a fiber glass mid-sole isnt a gimmick. Heck, I bet the first slipper was scoffed at.

mclee

Dec 6, 2002, 5:37 PM
Post #29 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got my Hooker zips a couple nights ago and wore them in the gym last night. They outperform my Katanas!!! I'd love to get my Katanas re-soled with Mad Rock rubber. Only downside to the Hooker is that the dye from the suede stains your feet. No biggie, though. I'm thoroughly impressed with the overall performance of the shoe. They do run a little small, so try them on in the store before buying them online.

funktimonious

Dec 6, 2002, 5:46 PM
Post #30 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Round Four...Ding!
There are too many typos. and faulty statments for me to adress. If you all were to take a step back and look at yourselves, you would see how you've swallowed the hook, line and sinker that Mad Rock casted out into the consumer sea. None of you will climb better because of the shoes, and none of you will save more money over comparable, if not better shoes at the same price from disscounted Boreals/ Five-Tens/ LaSports....

--Peace.

pbjosh

Dec 6, 2002, 5:54 PM
Post #31 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funktimonious,

For what it's worth, I found at least 6 grammatical and spelling errors in your last post. Ding.

On the flip side, these are cheap shoes and I'm keen to try them out.

And on the subject of gimmicks:

Quote:
the whole climbing shoe industry started as a gimmick. You think five-ten and there new mesas with a fiber glass mid-sole isnt a gimmick. Heck, I bet the first slipper was scoffed at.

This is one gimmick that works fricking wonders. The Mesas are a revolution in edging power as far as I'm concerned. I don't work for 5.10 but I kept hearing things about these so I picked up a pair after getting destroyed on a Tuolomne 5.11 edging/smearing nightmare. On horrid dime-edge laced slabs that would normally be fingernail wrecking, smearing testpieces, you can edge your way up, not believing what you're standing on. On pure friction routes (more Joshua Tree style), they're too stiff, making them (for me at least), very much a specialized shoe. However, if it's edging you want, it's edging you'll get.

josh

mclee

Dec 6, 2002, 6:05 PM
Post #32 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's a faulty statment? Oh, you mean faulty statement?!?!?!

Learn how to spell, then come back and state your opinion...

funktimonious

Dec 6, 2002, 6:32 PM
Post #33 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope everyone is going to post pictures of them climbing sssooooo much better with these shoes. I expect a bunch of 12's and 13's sent based solely on the fact they were wearing Mad Rock's.

DING.

--Peace.

funktimonious

Dec 6, 2002, 6:32 PM
Post #34 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope everyone is going to post pictures of them climbing sssooooo much better with these shoes. I expect a bunch of 12's and 13's sent based solely on the fact they were wearing Mad Rock's.

DING.

--Peace.

josher

Dec 6, 2002, 6:53 PM
Post #35 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:There are too many typos. and faulty statments for me to adress.

nice!

josher

Dec 6, 2002, 6:57 PM
Post #36 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all I was saying about gimmicks is thats what makes them stand out from others. Gimicks are good! Power door locks in your car was a gimmick. If some one comes up with a better shoe, why bash the idea of innovation.

epic_ed

Dec 6, 2002, 10:15 PM
Post #37 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, does anyone have anything useful to say about the shoes yet? I know..I've slammed Funktimonious too, but most of us are in agreement that he hasn't used them and, in fact, will never own a pair. So, has anyone actually climbed in them yet?

Ed

alanshearer

Dec 6, 2002, 10:36 PM
Post #38 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But the real question is: will a pair of madrocks increase my chances of getting laid?

mclee

Dec 6, 2002, 10:46 PM
Post #39 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted about my experience with the shoes (look at page 2). Love my Mad Rock Hooker Zips!!! Can't wait to take them outside, although in Oregon, it f****** too cold to climb...Maybe when I hit Red Rocks in the springtime...

[ This Message was edited by: mclee on 2002-12-06 14:49 ]

stormannorman

Dec 6, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #40 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just bought my Hooker zips yesterday and played in them in my garage last night. They performed great and am looking forward to climbing this weekend outside, it is going to be sunny and 50 in Portland! Last weekend before the rain hits!

moeman

Dec 6, 2002, 11:59 PM
Post #41 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funktimonious- you are a total asshole. No one said that they would suddenly become climbing god by wearing those shoes. All anyone said is that they look like they have good potential to help w/ foot work etc. It seems to me that they will be no etter than top of the line shoes already on the market. However, they are half the price, making fabulous shoes available to everyone, no just people with plenty of cash on hand.

dencio

Dec 7, 2002, 6:04 AM
Post #42 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know what's stupid?

this thread

you know why?

I'm pretty sure you already know why not unless you're so dense

I really don't mind being contradicted. I really don't. As a matter of fact I happen to appreciate a good debate. What I do hate is being contradicted with the use of stupidly flimsy arguments. Being an asshole while you're at it just makes things worse.

you even had the nerve to say that
(sic)"There are too many typos. and faulty statments for me to adress"

First of all, this site was not put up for people to (sic)"adress" everybody else's incorrect spelling or grammatical errors, both of which were noticably abundant in your posts, by the way.

And for the love of all things good, you could also do a big favor to the english language, the efforts for world peace and just about everybody else for that matter if you would please stop bastardizing the word peace in your posts because it clearly doesn't stand for who you are and what you beleive.

Could you also clarify something for me? If you just hate this thread so much, why in the world do you keep on coming back when it's so freakingly obvious that nobody gives a flying fig what you say?

Craving for attention?

Or didn't you get hugged when you were a kid?

Or you just plain not getting any?

[ This Message was edited by: dencio on 2002-12-06 22:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dencio on 2002-12-06 22:21 ]

funktimonious

Dec 7, 2002, 7:26 AM
Post #43 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo,
I don't really care about the shoes, I just like seeing everyone flip their lid so easily.

--Peace.

curt

Dec 7, 2002, 8:50 PM
Post #44 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a pair of Mad Rock shoes in the mail yesterday. I got the Phoenix, because they are the stiffest model offered by Mad Rock & I don't climb in real soft shoes anymore. By the way, they are not all that stiff. My regular shoe size is 9 1/2 to 10, depending on the manufacturer. These Phoenix shoes are 8 1/2 and are fairly tight on me now. They are fairly comfortable, though. They are unlined, so I suspect they will stretch a fair bit.

I am going to take them out on the rock tomorrow and I will post my initial opinion as to how they perform afterwards.

Curt

Partner phaedrus

Dec 7, 2002, 9:11 PM
Post #45 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stopped by Wilderness Exchange Unlimited (on Platte St in Denver, for those of you in the area), who as far as I know are the only ones in the Denver area that will be carrying Mad Rocks. Cliff, one of the employees, tried out the Hookers the other night at the gym and said they performed great. I'm getting a pair of Hookers and a pair of the Sharks. I decided to pass on the Hooker Zips mostly because when I'm out in Utah or even some the more desert areas of the West, I don't want to deal with dust/grit getting into the zippers.

I took a look at the shoes and they look interesting. Decided to try the Sharks mostly because I don't currently own a pair of slippers, and for the price, I figured now would be a good time to try them.

Both pairs of shoes retail for roughly the same price as the Boreals I bought for my son.

Since I already own a pair of 5.10 Spires (from back in the day when they were green) and a pair of La Sportiva Cliffs, it will be interesting to see how the Mad Rocks perform against the other two. Yeah, I know that the Spire and Cliff are both all around shoes and the Hooker and Shark are more specialized, but you know what I mean.

At any rate, I'm getting mine on Tuesday and I'll most likely post my comments on them a few days later, once I've given them a good workout.

stormannorman

Dec 8, 2002, 1:13 AM
Post #46 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got to use my Hooker Zips today! They did perform great, I was able to stand on the smallest edge with confidence, my friends kept peeling off of them. I tried a heel hook and was able to rest my heel up on the edge with no effort, those ridges really work! I really liked the way they fit on my foot, I only went down 1 shoe size and they are perfect, and when I get to the top of the climb I just unzip and relax, I am glad I got the zipper ones. Who would have thought you could climb in Oregon in Dec. with a t-shirt on.

billcoe_

Dec 8, 2002, 5:37 AM
Post #47 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear these shoes are performing so well for everybody.

funktimonious must climb barefoot and doesn't want to hear about shoes. I use to climb barefoot too, funk: until one day I peeled from up high whilst bouldering. Ouch.

I have worn through my shoes (although I reglued the rands on these 5.10s while in Red Rocks last month after picking up some cement in the Home Depot in Las Vegas) and need new shoes.

Looked at the Newtons: but the 5.10 poor quality reputation is too much to overcome while looking at the $137 price tag in the only store in the area that had them. I too will go to the local store and probably buy a pair of Mads.

Better than climbing barefoot again funtomonious.

I'm cheap so that bodes well.

Really like to hear how the Phoenixs' work for you curt. Let us know, that's the shoe I want to try.

regards:

Bill

nite_climber

Dec 8, 2002, 3:11 PM
Post #48 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been reading this thread and laughing how sensitive we all are. I have tried them and find they edge well and the sole helps me stick some smears that the "classic" shoe has problems with.

The shoes will not give you more sex appeal (damn!!!, worth the price their) nor will you suddenly be climbing 5.14. The shoes, coupled with proper foot work, will help you get thru SOME cruxes you may not have the strength for because you can smear or edge something that you could not before. HOWEVER, it is the proper use of the shoe that gets you thru it.

The only shoes that would help me bump up a few grades may be anti-gravity boots. Since Madrock, or none of the other manufacturers, has come out with such a shoe, I guess training and practice are the only things that are going to make me better.

Climb well,

collegekid

Dec 8, 2002, 6:45 PM
Post #49 of 142 (30117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmm...

I am intrigued...the shoes look way cool, and all the "gimmicks" look like ideas that solve problems i've had with my 5.10 shoes.
(heel pops off during heel hook, no rubber on sides of shoes for squeeze moves, and stretching of unlined leather). I like the dual density sole...

Now the dilemma: I work at sport chalet, and i can get a pair of moccasyms (my favorite) for 50 bucks. Maybe i can get them to start carrying madrocks.

[ This Message was edited by: collegekid on 2002-12-08 10:46 ]

gearweenie

Dec 8, 2002, 7:43 PM
Post #50 of 142 (30147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am climbing in the Hooker Zip and am very happy with the shoes. The hooker sole does work in tiny smears and edges. I find myself using the top of my shoes more and more, the heel hook is usefull even though I am not using it all the time I can see where someone climbing hard overhangs would use it allot. The Rubber is Stickier than any other rubber I have used. I think our Poster friend Funkymonius is either young, stupid, inexperienced, has not tried the shoes or working for one of the other shoe companies. These shoes are going to change the market and they way we climb in a very good way. I don't understand the hostility from people who have not tried them.

Oh Yea, I fould several other posts from people who have been climbing in them and like the shoes.

[ This Message was edited by: gearweenie on 2002-12-08 13:21 ]

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook