RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

mindlessroller21

Nov 30, 2009, 5:07 AM
Post #1 of 11 (4639 views)
Shortcut

Exotic gym features
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have always wondered about the possibility of allowing free soloing indoors. Many people have proposed throwing a climbing wall over a swimming pool which for a lot of reasons isn't very practical. Inspired by my skating days, I have always thought about the possibility of free soloing over a foam pit which I think could also be significantly safer than water as well.

Does anyone else have any weird possibilities for setups that could be created in an indoor gym.... they do not have to be related to free soloing but any weird climbing experience you could create in a gym.

Anything you've always secretly hoped for in your local gym?

(This post was edited by mindlessroller21 on Nov 30, 2009, 6:30 AM)

scottek67

Nov 30, 2009, 6:07 AM
Post #2 of 11 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by scottek67 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

djlachelt

Nov 30, 2009, 6:09 AM
Post #3 of 11 (4605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mindlessroller21] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm. Not too long ago I visited a web-site for an indoor climbing facility that indeed did allow climbing over a huge foam pit. This was not a kiddie sort of deal... though I don't think the fall was really high, more like high-ball bouldering (say 18'). I can't seem to find it now. If I run across it again I'll try to post it here.

I've also seen a bouldering wall where the fall was into a pool.

Albany Indoor Rock gym has a cave that you crawl through. Carabiners (in MA) also has a cave, plus a tower and huge stalactite sort of thing. I've not climbed at either of these gyms.

Moderately sized stalactites are not too uncommon (e.g. Planet Granite).

Mccohenster

Nov 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #4 of 11 (4473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At the gym I used to climb at, in North Carolina, there was a foam pit beneath the overhanging portion of the lead wall. It wasn't very deep, maybe a foot, and the climber would be roped in so I'm not really sure why it was there.

A feature in my new gym up in Vermont that was unexpected to me was an area for chimneying. Basically there were two towers in the middle of the room with about some space between them and no holds on either wall. Kinda fun to do once, I guess...

cintune

Nov 30, 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #5 of 11 (4460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Albany gym is more than just a cave, it's a tunnel system that winds through the whole place and up through the ceiling, really way more fun than the climbing walls, with pitch black dead-ends, a pod inside the stalactite, and multiple entrances/exits including one onto a little ledge with a zipline down to the floor.

Definitely recommended for a fun time if you're in the area.

gblauer

Nov 30, 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #6 of 11 (4439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cintune] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cintune wrote:
The Albany gym is more than just a cave, it's a tunnel system that winds through the whole place and up through the ceiling, really way more fun than the climbing walls, with pitch black dead-ends, a pod inside the stalactite, and multiple entrances/exits including one onto a little ledge with a zipline down to the floor.

There is a bouldering gym in california that uses the space behind the walls to create a fun tunnel system. It's pitch black and you wind your way all over the gym. There is some light at strategic spots (where you have to shimmy down a pole fireman style, downclimbing areas etc.) It was a real draw for the kids; they were mostly inside the walls while the adults were bouldering. The gym sold light sticks to light your way. Personally, I would have preferred knee pads!

I have climbed at Carabiners, they have some interesting features (chimney, crack climbing, stalactite, speed climbing area).

rainman0915

Dec 2, 2009, 7:00 AM
Post #7 of 11 (4347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
why not rig up a cargo net?

ouch, you need to fall perfectly on those. there was a kids gymnastics gym in Wisconsin that unfortunately went out of business a few years back, and it had a climbing wall over a foam pit.

i have also seen people free solo over those huge movie stunt pads.

lena_chita

Dec 2, 2009, 4:39 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cintune] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cintune wrote:

Yeah, I've been there. Great idea, and Definitely a draw for the kids. I discovered that I was clautrophobic there...

Hotpies

Dec 2, 2009, 5:08 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mindlessroller21] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've always wanted to solo on some epic plastic.

bill413

Dec 3, 2009, 1:15 AM
Post #10 of 11 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
cintune wrote:

Yeah, I've been there. Great idea, and Definitely a draw for the kids. I discovered that I was clautrophobic there...

You are not alone.

It does seem fun - my son loved it...but I was only in the tunnels for a few minutes before it confirmed what I already knew. Still, the gym was fun.

airscape

Dec 3, 2009, 3:02 PM
Post #11 of 11 (4176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Exotic gym features [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think dying in a gym is baddass..

Also I have seen a pool with a climbing wall:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook