RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

kmccoy37

Nov 30, 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5395 views)
Shortcut

Switzerland bouldering in July
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everybody,

I will be in Europe next summer and I really want to boulder in Switzerland for about 2 weeks. I have some questions i would love to find some answers to some of them:

1. Is it possible to climb anywhere but Magic Wood in the summer?...I would love to climb in Chironico and Cresciano but have heard those are definitely not summer areas?? What about anywhere in Austria in the summer??

2. Where to stay?? My GF and I will be on a little bit of a budget and will not really have any camping equipment. Is there anywhere close and relatively cheap by switzerland standards to stay?

3. Will we need to rent a car? Is it even possible to get around the area without a car?

4. It doesnt look like its going to be possible to bring our pads overseas so is there anywhere to rent or borrow a couple crash pads for a few weeks?

Thanks a lot for any answers people. I have been wanting to boulder in Switzerland for so long now and it looks like I might actually get the chance too, even though it might not be the ideal time, who cares though, its better than nothing.....I guess ill never understand how these people in the climbing movies and internet videos can afford to just take off 6 months to go live in switzerland. But oh well, thats a whole different story. Anyway, I would love to get some help on some of these questions.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

steple

Apr 4, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmccoy37] Switzerland bouldering in July [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Cresciano and Chironico might indeed be very hot in the summer.
www.bimano.ch has info on bouldering areas in Switzerland, some of them cannot be found on in any guide books.

2. Switzerland is expensive. But: Public transportation works well.

3. You can get to many places without a car.

4. I haven't heard of any places renting out pads.

You are only into bouldering? Cause there is plenty of rope climbing here as well.

k.l.k

Apr 5, 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a number of high el bouldering areas in Switzerland other than Magic Woods. Furka Pass is great and can be quite nice in the summer, but you'd really want to have a car.

Switzerland generally tends to be more expensive than many other parts of the Alps.

This guide is the best overview of the larger region, if you can find a copy: http://www.gebro-verlag.de/

In Austria, the bouldering in the Zillertal can be fine in the summer as well, although a car is good to have.

Sellajoch in Suedtirol has good bouldering as well as sport and the big stuff, with a hut right at the pass and reliable bus service. But that's getting a long way from Switzerland.

I_do

Apr 6, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #4 of 7 (5217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Switzerland bouldering in July [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
There's a number of high el bouldering areas in Switzerland other than Magic Woods. Furka Pass is great and can be quite nice in the summer, but you'd really want to have a car.

Switzerland generally tends to be more expensive than many other parts of the Alps.

This guide is the best overview of the larger region, if you can find a copy: http://www.gebro-verlag.de/

In Austria, the bouldering in the Zillertal can be fine in the summer as well, although a car is good to have.

Sellajoch in Suedtirol has good bouldering as well as sport and the big stuff, with a hut right at the pass and reliable bus service. But that's getting a long way from Switzerland.

Check exchange rates. I was in Switserland and Austria in '08 and because the swiss franc was low compared to the euro, and gas and camping are cheap in switserland anyway, I found Austria to be more expensive. The gas was a rather large part of that though, so if you don't have your own car the scales might tip the other way. I also don't know exchange rates with dollars.

But it's still something to check out IMHO.

k.l.k

Apr 6, 2010, 5:36 PM
Post #5 of 7 (5208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Switzerland bouldering in July [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
k.l.k wrote:

Check exchange rates. I was in Switserland and Austria in '08 and because the swiss franc was low compared to the euro, and gas and camping are cheap in switserland anyway, I found Austria to be more expensive. The gas was a rather large part of that though, so if you don't have your own car the scales might tip the other way. I also don't know exchange rates with dollars.

But it's still something to check out IMHO.

yeah, that's a useful suggestion-- when i was there last summer, the franc was down, but it was still expensive compared to germany or much of austria. and zillertal, like the other nice valleys around innsbruck, is one of the more expensive areas in austria.

of course, the food is much better in the tirol than in switzerland.

heh

Basiainen

May 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi

Have you thought about Sustenpass? Iīve never been there but it should be beautiful and itīs in 2000m so the weather should be ok as well. Im thinking of going there some time in the last two weeks of July and trying to find some company.

kmccoy37

May 29, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Basiainen] Switzerland bouldering in July [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sustenpass looks amazing and we would love to go. Unfortunately we will be leaving Switzerland July 12...

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook