Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
How to make a good bouldering/climbing video
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


camhead


Dec 19, 2009, 1:52 PM
Post #1 of 34 (5622 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20748

How to make a good bouldering/climbing video
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

Admitedly, I have never made a climbing video. However, I get annoyed at common cliches that I see a lot, so here are a few rules that I have established. These are laws, not suggestions, and if you break them, you suck.

1. Just the facts: name of the climber, area, problem name, and maybe the grade. Always include these.

2. Think carefully about multiple shots or angles of the same move. Repetition can get really obnoxious. In some cases (the recent gumby freesoloing fall video), it is useful to have replays or numerous shots of the same move, but usually the same dyno to the same crimp is the same thing no matter how many different times you show it.

3. No talking. The best climbers are usually dirty stoner hippies who can barely form sentences and have no intellectual content to contribute. Ever. They should shut the fuck up, and do what they do best: climb already.

4. Showing multiple attempts of a problem is stupid. Nobody cares about failure, and an "almost send" is still nothing. Show the send, or edit to make it look like a send, but unless there is blood, carnage, and destruction, do not show multiple fails.

5. You are not an artist or a nature photographer. You do not have to show the climber introspectively wandering through the woods, you do not have to show closeups of tree branches, streams, waterfalls, or any of that. Show the climb. That is it.

6. Jesus Fucking Christ I hate techno music. Climbx media folded years ago, and it is no longer 2003. Techno is not yet retro (Masters of Stone era metal is, however). Try to expand your soundtrack beyond brainless fucking pulses.

You're welcome.


jcrew


Dec 19, 2009, 2:33 PM
Post #2 of 34 (5606 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 11, 2006
Posts: 673

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i thought this video was pretty rad:
http://www.vimeo.com/7858740


uni_jim


Dec 19, 2009, 4:49 PM
Post #3 of 34 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 27, 2008
Posts: 429

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Admitedly, I have never made a climbing video. However, I get annoyed at common cliches that I see a lot, so here are a few rules that I have established. These are laws, not suggestions, and if you break them, you suck.

1. Just the facts: name of the climber, area, problem name, and maybe the grade. Always include these.

2. Think carefully about multiple shots or angles of the same move. Repetition can get really obnoxious. In some cases (the recent gumby freesoloing fall video), it is useful to have replays or numerous shots of the same move, but usually the same dyno to the same crimp is the same thing no matter how many different times you show it.

3. No talking. The best climbers are usually dirty stoner hippies who can barely form sentences and have no intellectual content to contribute. Ever. They should shut the fuck up, and do what they do best: climb already.

4. Showing multiple attempts of a problem is stupid. Nobody cares about failure, and an "almost send" is still nothing. Show the send, or edit to make it look like a send, but unless there is blood, carnage, and destruction, do not show multiple fails.

5. You are not an artist or a nature photographer. You do not have to show the climber introspectively wandering through the woods, you do not have to show closeups of tree branches, streams, waterfalls, or any of that. Show the climb. That is it.

6. Jesus Fucking Christ I hate techno music. Climbx media folded years ago, and it is no longer 2003. Techno is not yet retro (Masters of Stone era metal is, however). Try to expand your soundtrack beyond brainless fucking pulses.

You're welcome.

STFU n00b!


blackstarcyn


Dec 19, 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #4 of 34 (5517 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2009
Posts: 53

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

first of all #3? whats that about? Some of the climbers I know are also the smartest people I know... dont throw random comments out that you cant back up.#4... Where is success without failure? if you cant see how the moves were worked out, and just see an effortless send each time, you wont get to see the real beauty in climbing. #5, same as #4, the essence of climbing comes from nature and if you cant see that, stick to a gym


Partner angry


Dec 20, 2009, 4:18 AM
Post #5 of 34 (5491 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 8405

Re: [blackstarcyn] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

blackstarcyn wrote:
first of all #3? whats that about? Some of the climbers I know are also the smartest people I know... dont throw random comments out that you cant back up.#4... Where is success without failure? if you cant see how the moves were worked out, and just see an effortless send each time, you wont get to see the real beauty in climbing. #5, same as #4, the essence of climbing comes from nature and if you cant see that, stick to a gym

Quoted for truth!! The OP has no idea what he's talking about. He's got no sense of style and his socks smell of cheese!!!


camhead


Dec 20, 2009, 6:47 AM
Post #6 of 34 (5472 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20748

Re: [blackstarcyn] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

blackstarcyn wrote:
first of all #3? whats that about? Some of the climbers I know are also the smartest people I know... dont throw random comments out that you cant back up.#4... Where is success without failure? if you cant see how the moves were worked out, and just see an effortless send each time, you wont get to see the real beauty in climbing. #5, same as #4, the essence of climbing comes from nature and if you cant see that, stick to a gym

No, that's not correct. You're wrong. I'm right. You don't know what you're talking about. I'm really sorry. This is not a debatable topic. That's all I can say.


caughtinside


Dec 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #7 of 34 (5399 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 30411

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Admitedly, I have never made a climbing video. However, I get annoyed at common cliches that I see a lot, so here are a few rules that I have established. These are laws, not suggestions, and if you break them, you suck.

1. Just the facts: name of the climber, area, problem name, and maybe the grade. Always include these.

2. Think carefully about multiple shots or angles of the same move. Repetition can get really obnoxious. In some cases (the recent gumby freesoloing fall video), it is useful to have replays or numerous shots of the same move, but usually the same dyno to the same crimp is the same thing no matter how many different times you show it.

3. No talking. The best climbers are usually dirty stoner hippies who can barely form sentences and have no intellectual content to contribute. Ever. They should shut the fuck up, and do what they do best: climb already.

4. Showing multiple attempts of a problem is stupid. Nobody cares about failure, and an "almost send" is still nothing. Show the send, or edit to make it look like a send, but unless there is blood, carnage, and destruction, do not show multiple fails.

5. You are not an artist or a nature photographer. You do not have to show the climber introspectively wandering through the woods, you do not have to show closeups of tree branches, streams, waterfalls, or any of that. Show the climb. That is it.

6. Jesus Fucking Christ I hate techno music. Climbx media folded years ago, and it is no longer 2003. Techno is not yet retro (Masters of Stone era metal is, however). Try to expand your soundtrack beyond brainless fucking pulses.

You're welcome.

This is correct.


beton


Dec 21, 2009, 4:11 AM
Post #8 of 34 (5369 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 8, 2009
Posts: 27

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Personally, I'd just turn that all around.
For me, a climbing video is worthless unless there is talking and failing. I really don't care about the sends (probably with the exception of FA's), but I do care about the process. I love to see how other climbers work in their projects, what they feel and think when they do it. Climbing is so much more than topping boulders or rocks.

If you really believe in those rules, .. I'd say you're a poor or incomplete climber.


(This post was edited by beton on Dec 21, 2009, 4:24 AM)


camhead


Dec 21, 2009, 5:41 AM
Post #9 of 34 (5348 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20748

Re: [beton] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

beton wrote:
Personally, I'd just turn that all around.
For me, a climbing video is worthless unless there is talking and failing. I really don't care about the sends (probably with the exception of FA's), but I do care about the process. I love to see how other climbers work in their projects, what they feel and think when they do it. Climbing is so much more than topping boulders or rocks.

If you really believe in those rules, .. I'd say you're a poor or incomplete climber.

No, that's not correct. You're wrong. I'm right. You don't know what you're talking about. I'm really sorry. This is not a debatable topic. That's all I can say.


justroberto


Dec 21, 2009, 1:28 PM
Post #10 of 34 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Well, how else do you make a five minute video of some guy climbing a 15 foot high pice of rock?


JAB


Dec 30, 2009, 6:36 AM
Post #11 of 34 (5167 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 26, 2007
Posts: 373

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I disagree with almost all of camhead's points, but I would like to add one point.

7. Show detail. Even super hard climbs can look like a walk in the park if you don't show closeups of micro crimps, lously slopers or non-existent footholds. On videos of trad climbs I like to see the gear placements (which often are cut out entirely, like placing gear wasn't really at all part of the climb!). I know some idiot might say that this is giving too much beta, but if you want the onsight, don't watch the bloody video!


ozoneclimber


Dec 30, 2009, 7:03 AM
Post #12 of 34 (5158 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Posts: 250

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If we're wrong, and it's not debatable, then STFU, and don't bother posting anymore of your trash... lmao


i_h8_choss


Dec 30, 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #13 of 34 (5133 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 2, 2007
Posts: 694

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Agree.

Also add that I'd like to see more classic climbs in the 5.9 to 5.12+ range. I really don't have any plans on climbing V14 or 5.13R any time soon, so it would be nice to see some well made films of climbs in a more moderate range.


Dynosoarus


Feb 10, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4868 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 10, 2010
Posts: 83

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

(Crowd Applause)


avalon420


Feb 10, 2010, 9:19 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 281

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

No thats not correct. I'm right and its the only right answer. For you see young grasshopper, to make a truly great boldering(no when spelled CORRECTLY there is no u in boldering)/climbing video you must first remove the boldering/climbing from between great and video. Then you should take it and put it in to action. Quit riding coat tail, F "inspiration", and to heck w/ what "they" do. You must BE the great video.


avalon420


Feb 10, 2010, 9:40 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4856 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 281

Re: [blackstarcyn] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blackstarcyn wrote:
first of all #3? whats that about? Some of the climbers I know are also the smartest people I know... dont throw random comments out that you cant back up.#4... Where is success without failure? if you cant see how the moves were worked out, and just see an effortless send each time, you wont get to see the real beauty in climbing. #5, same as #4, the essence of climbing comes from nature and if you cant see that, stick to a gym
#3 he said BEST climers, not yo' gumdy-@$$ friends, #4failure is only cool w/ carnage and desruction involved as previously noted#5 you are correct but this ain't the F/N Nature Channel.


avalon420


Feb 10, 2010, 9:45 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4854 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 281

Re: [beton] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

beton wrote:
Personally, I'd just turn that all around.
For me, a climbing video is worthless....... .. I'd say you're a poor or incomplete climber.
That is really the only applicable statement for you all.


avalon420


Feb 10, 2010, 9:47 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4852 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 281

Re: [avalon420] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

More scotch please.CrazyShockedWink


blackstarcyn


Feb 11, 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #19 of 34 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2009
Posts: 53

Re: [avalon420] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

avalon, stick to bondage, techno, and the gym.. you dont belong Cool


snowey


Feb 11, 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #20 of 34 (4806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 7, 2006
Posts: 143

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Admitedly, I have never made a climbing video. However, I get annoyed at common cliches that I see a lot, so here are a few rules that I have established. These are laws, not suggestions, and if you break them, you suck.

1. Just the facts: name of the climber, area, problem name, and maybe the grade. Always include these.

2. Think carefully about multiple shots or angles of the same move. Repetition can get really obnoxious. In some cases (the recent gumby freesoloing fall video), it is useful to have replays or numerous shots of the same move, but usually the same dyno to the same crimp is the same thing no matter how many different times you show it.

3. No talking. The best climbers are usually dirty stoner hippies who can barely form sentences and have no intellectual content to contribute. Ever. They should shut the fuck up, and do what they do best: climb already.

4. Showing multiple attempts of a problem is stupid. Nobody cares about failure, and an "almost send" is still nothing. Show the send, or edit to make it look like a send, but unless there is blood, carnage, and destruction, do not show multiple fails.

5. You are not an artist or a nature photographer. You do not have to show the climber introspectively wandering through the woods, you do not have to show closeups of tree branches, streams, waterfalls, or any of that. Show the climb. That is it.

6. Jesus Fucking Christ I hate techno music. Climbx media folded years ago, and it is no longer 2003. Techno is not yet retro (Masters of Stone era metal is, however). Try to expand your soundtrack beyond brainless fucking pulses.

You're welcome.


1) STFU NOOB

2) I think I managed to violate a few of your rules in this: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...tal_Readout_354.html

3) NOOB


camhead


Feb 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #21 of 34 (4797 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20748

Re: [snowey] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

snowey wrote:
camhead wrote:
Admitedly, I have never made a climbing video. However, I get annoyed at common cliches that I see a lot, so here are a few rules that I have established. These are laws, not suggestions, and if you break them, you suck.

1. Just the facts: name of the climber, area, problem name, and maybe the grade. Always include these.

2. Think carefully about multiple shots or angles of the same move. Repetition can get really obnoxious. In some cases (the recent gumby freesoloing fall video), it is useful to have replays or numerous shots of the same move, but usually the same dyno to the same crimp is the same thing no matter how many different times you show it.

3. No talking. The best climbers are usually dirty stoner hippies who can barely form sentences and have no intellectual content to contribute. Ever. They should shut the fuck up, and do what they do best: climb already.

4. Showing multiple attempts of a problem is stupid. Nobody cares about failure, and an "almost send" is still nothing. Show the send, or edit to make it look like a send, but unless there is blood, carnage, and destruction, do not show multiple fails.

5. You are not an artist or a nature photographer. You do not have to show the climber introspectively wandering through the woods, you do not have to show closeups of tree branches, streams, waterfalls, or any of that. Show the climb. That is it.

6. Jesus Fucking Christ I hate techno music. Climbx media folded years ago, and it is no longer 2003. Techno is not yet retro (Masters of Stone era metal is, however). Try to expand your soundtrack beyond brainless fucking pulses.

You're welcome.


1) STFU NOOB

2) I think I managed to violate a few of your rules in this: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...tal_Readout_354.html

3) NOOB

Terrible video, n00b. Californians should just stay out of Indian Creek, really.


snowey


Feb 11, 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #22 of 34 (4781 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 7, 2006
Posts: 143

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
snowey wrote:
camhead wrote:
Admitedly, I have never made a climbing video. However, I get annoyed at common cliches that I see a lot, so here are a few rules that I have established. These are laws, not suggestions, and if you break them, you suck.

1. Just the facts: name of the climber, area, problem name, and maybe the grade. Always include these.

2. Think carefully about multiple shots or angles of the same move. Repetition can get really obnoxious. In some cases (the recent gumby freesoloing fall video), it is useful to have replays or numerous shots of the same move, but usually the same dyno to the same crimp is the same thing no matter how many different times you show it.

3. No talking. The best climbers are usually dirty stoner hippies who can barely form sentences and have no intellectual content to contribute. Ever. They should shut the fuck up, and do what they do best: climb already.

4. Showing multiple attempts of a problem is stupid. Nobody cares about failure, and an "almost send" is still nothing. Show the send, or edit to make it look like a send, but unless there is blood, carnage, and destruction, do not show multiple fails.

5. You are not an artist or a nature photographer. You do not have to show the climber introspectively wandering through the woods, you do not have to show closeups of tree branches, streams, waterfalls, or any of that. Show the climb. That is it.

6. Jesus Fucking Christ I hate techno music. Climbx media folded years ago, and it is no longer 2003. Techno is not yet retro (Masters of Stone era metal is, however). Try to expand your soundtrack beyond brainless fucking pulses.

You're welcome.


1) STFU NOOB

2) I think I managed to violate a few of your rules in this: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...tal_Readout_354.html

3) NOOB

Terrible video, n00b. Californians should just stay out of Indian Creek, really.

Hey n00b. This weekend is supposed to be 71 degrees and sunny. What's the weather like where you are?

It looks like you are going to be seeing a lot more videos from CA violating your rules before we start seeing any new content adhering to them.

Eat it n00b!


BTW: Its actually really difficult to maintain this antagonistic attitude. I don't know how you guys do it.


(This post was edited by snowey on Feb 11, 2010, 11:39 AM)


kriso9tails


Feb 11, 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #23 of 34 (4767 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2001
Posts: 7764

Re: [snowey] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think you were a few n00bs too many to be honest. The first one was kind amusing -- like how we nickname fatly massive guys 'tiny', or poodles 'killer' --, but from there you needed to diversify.


kachoong


Feb 11, 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #24 of 34 (4756 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [kriso9tails] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

All climbers are jerks! The memo is out!


bandycoot


Feb 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4751 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 25, 2002
Posts: 2028

Re: [camhead] How to make a good bouldering/climbing video [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Admitedly, I have never made a climbing video. However, I get annoyed at common cliches that I see a lot, so here are a few rules that I have established. These are laws, not suggestions, and if you break them, you suck.

1. Just the facts: name of the climber, area, problem name, and maybe the grade. Always include these.

2. Think carefully about multiple shots or angles of the same move. Repetition can get really obnoxious. In some cases (the recent gumby freesoloing fall video), it is useful to have replays or numerous shots of the same move, but usually the same dyno to the same crimp is the same thing no matter how many different times you show it.

3. No talking. The best climbers are usually dirty stoner hippies who can barely form sentences and have no intellectual content to contribute. Ever. They should shut the fuck up, and do what they do best: climb already.

4. Showing multiple attempts of a problem is stupid. Nobody cares about failure, and an "almost send" is still nothing. Show the send, or edit to make it look like a send, but unless there is blood, carnage, and destruction, do not show multiple fails.

5. You are not an artist or a nature photographer. You do not have to show the climber introspectively wandering through the woods, you do not have to show closeups of tree branches, streams, waterfalls, or any of that. Show the climb. That is it.

6. Jesus Fucking Christ I hate techno music. Climbx media folded years ago, and it is no longer 2003. Techno is not yet retro (Masters of Stone era metal is, however). Try to expand your soundtrack beyond brainless fucking pulses.

You're welcome.

http://www.vimeo.com/7108752
http://www.vimeo.com/7566887

Let's see:

1. Missed most of the facts you requested so fail.
2. For the most part FAIL.
3. Mostly dialogue driven, so FAIL!!!
4. UBER FAIL!!! (Hell, in the first video no one sends ANYTHING!)
5. Someone mentions how nice the outdoors are, so kinda fail.
6. No music at all, is that a win or a fail?

Still, I've gotten great feedback on the movies and most people love them!

Josh

Edit: For added bonus, check out this video that violates most of those rules here: http://pullharder.org/...e-of-lone-pine-peak/
(I really don't see why climbers take themselves do seriously. We're out there to have FUN, remember?)


(This post was edited by bandycoot on Feb 19, 2010, 12:16 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook