Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
HP40 New Years
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

DaliLama

Dec 21, 2009, 7:12 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3397 views)
Shortcut

HP40 New Years  (North_America: United_States: Alabama)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone know what the scene is like at HP40 around New Years? Will the place be deserted? Also, any idea how the weather will be for camping? I'll be rocking a 30 degree bag...

ckzch

Dec 24, 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DaliLama] HP40 New Years [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know there will be at least 5 people from Michigan coming and some from Montreal as well, I really doubt it will be deserted aside from that. I would look for it to be fairly busy, especially if the weather holds like it is supposed to. High 40's during the day will make for great climbing but it should be cold (depending on what you mean by cold) at night, so make sure to bring extra socks. A 30 degree bag should be fine if you plan to wear a hoodie to bed. I have camped down there before when it was snowing and it was great, but, I'm sure others don't exactly share my enthusiasm for the winter camping. Regardless, HP40 winter break = Great climbing, Great fun

dlintz

Dec 24, 2009, 2:00 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine went a couple years ago over Christmas break. He said it was cold at night but the days were great for friction (upper 40s while he was there). There were other climbers but not crowded at all.

Personally I'd try to find a slightly warmer sleeping bag but then I'm a wuss too. Wink

d.

BirminghamBen

Dec 29, 2009, 7:04 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 degree bag plus some fleece should be ok. Overnight lows this week are mid to upper twenties. It's clear and 40 degrees outside my office right now. PERFECT weather for sunny cragging/bouldering. Not so much in the shade, but that's when we break out the bourbon and camp chairs down here. Good luck.

DaliLama

Dec 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BirminghamBen] HP40 New Years [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.... thanks all of you. Not llooking like I'm gonna make it down before New Years but I should be down at some point in the next few days and staying for 3-4 days... then on to Hueco!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook