RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

superbum

Dec 29, 2009, 2:31 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1512 views)
Shortcut

ATTN: Grivel tool users...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As I was sharpening my picks today I noticed that they were crooked! Only slightly on one tool, but very noticable on the other! I was bummed to say the least. I have never mixed climbed on them, so torquing is not the issue (and I can't believe I've never noticed it before!)

They are the Matrix Tech's (w/ the black ...handle). I suggest going and checking your tools right now. To check mine, I put the head towards me, w/ the pick point towards the sky and tried to line up the pick w/ the shaft via line of sight. If there are more of us "crooked tool owners" I feel Grivel needs to know!

I have not contacted them yet myself...

Vic

daneburns

Dec 29, 2009, 7:04 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] ATTN: Grivel tool users... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, Grivel knows. Their picks have been bending for years. Easy to bend back as well.

superbum

Dec 29, 2009, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [daneburns] ATTN: Grivel tool users... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to be honest it's hard to tell if it's a bent pick, or if the actual head is on a bit cockeyed...on one tool i can deff. see a slight bend, but it bends back making it apear straight, while the one in question heads straight as an arrow...to the left!

ice climbing is scary enough w/o worrying about crooked tools. i wil try and bend then back today...

superbum

Jan 2, 2010, 12:15 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [daneburns] ATTN: Grivel tool users... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, after some serious eyeballing here's the skinny...

One tool def. has a bent pick. So after some time in a vice, i bent it back best i could. not perfect but fairly straight, not a prob.

The other tool's pick however is arrow straight...but does not line up w/ the shaft...I believe that the actual steel head that the pick is bolted to is not on the shaft straight. I think w/ a brand new pick it would still head to the left.

To be honest, it's not THAT bad and I've never noticed it climbing. Also, given that ice is not perfectly flat and the tool prob sits un-perfectly in your hand when you swing it shouldn't matter...but I'm a perfectionist and wish my $200 tool was perfect too. oh well, I might try and warranty them in the spring.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook