RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

Paulbmounds

Jan 1, 2010, 9:52 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1929 views)
Shortcut

Prarie Walls Multi Pitch Traverse
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Has anyone considered if a 2 or 3 pitch traverse of Prarie Walls could be done? I know in one place it would be hard, where the ramp goes up to the top on the north end, but if it could it would be 3 pitches. Has anyone entertained this lead?

cornstateclimber

Jan 5, 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paulbmounds] Prarie Walls Multi Pitch Traverse [In reply to]
Report this Post

where is prarie walls?

Paulbmounds

Jan 6, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cornstateclimber] Prarie Walls Multi Pitch Traverse [In reply to]
Report this Post

In southwest Minnesota, north of Luverne MN a couple of miles. Other rock climbing areas within 15 miles are Palisades State Park and the city park in Garretson SD. Within another 30 miles is Dells of the Sioux at Dell Rapids SD. The guidebook Minnesota/Wisconsin Rock Climbs has a few of the climbs at Blue Mounds, possibly 1/10 of 1% of the routes at Blue Mounds are in that guidebook.

cornstateclimber

Jan 7, 2010, 7:29 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

are there any climbs worthwille at blue mounds? i was there once and didnt really see much. i mean there was a cliff band ranging in hiegth from 10-50 maybe 60' but it was really broken up. did i miss another section of cliffs? it was a stop we made on our way back from devils tower and black hills!

Paulbmounds

Jan 8, 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cornstateclimber] Prarie Walls Multi Pitch Traverse [In reply to]
Report this Post

If you walked the cliffline you would have seen a lot of nice climbs in the height you talked about. There are a lot of roofs there. The main climbing is two miles south of the main park entrance. I have summitted Devil's Tower twice and yes, there is a difference, hence asking if anyone has considered linking a horizontal multi pitch.

dlintz

Jan 8, 2010, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Paulbmounds wrote:
...The guidebook Minnesota/Wisconsin Rock Climbs has a few of the climbs at Blue Mounds, possibly 1/10 of 1% of the routes at Blue Mounds are in that guidebook.

Are you referring to the Mike Farris guidebook? Saying that the Farris book contains 1/10 of 1% of BM's routes is ridiculous...unless you're counting 20 foot tall sections of 5.0 vegetated choss.

The Farris book lists at least 90% of the worthwhile routes. A few more have been established since then and a few unplucked plums still await.

As for your original question...I doubt it's been done so get to it! It won't be easy! Wink

d.

Paulbmounds

Jan 8, 2010, 9:52 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Prarie Walls Multi Pitch Traverse [In reply to]
Report this Post

There are 3 to a dozen good long routes between many of the mentioned climbs in that guidebook. And there are unlimited 20 foot climbs of 5 and much higher. I only climb there every weekend without missing a weekend from May through December, so my knowledge may not be as good as yours. I also take afternoons off from work to climb and then go back to work later to unload a truck. Sometimes I climb there 7 days a week.

dlintz

Jan 10, 2010, 7:25 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I only get to BM a few times a year but it's not hard to distinguish good climbable rock from choss, and I'd prefer to spend my limited time climbing stuff taller than 20 feet. That said next time I'm there you'll have to show me the good stuff I've been overlooking...seriously, I love exploring there.

d.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook