RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Maxx640

Jan 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Hot boots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice before buying a pair of shoes for winter climbing as I only have leathers and nearly lost my toes.

I tend to get cold feet while waiting at belays and am looking for a pair of warm boots. I can get a great deal on a pair of Millet Shivlings, but I'm wondering how they would act on 70° ice and mixed alpine routes. Aren't they a bit on the heavy side? I've seen a lot of people out there with Spantiks on, they seem to be around the same weight.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Partner angry

Jan 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maxx640] Hot boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've never seen a boot that keeps your feet warm if you easily get cold feet. Sure there are plenty out there that will keep you from losing toes but warm seems impossible.

When I buy my next pair of boots, I'm going to size them such that they fit hot-tronics insoles. Looking through their website, I think they'd get the job done.

rschap

Jan 5, 2010, 1:48 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don’t know, my feet used to get cold using my La Sportiva Makalu’s down in Ouray but when I switched to La Sportiva K4S my feet were fine. Leather boots are just cold. What I would do is find out what kind of boot you want and try all the different brands on. Some of the newer boots like the La Sportiva Batura or the Asolo Base Camp GV look like they would be rather worm but I haven’t tried them yet. In my opinion plastic is dead and completely unnecessary, the new composites are just as worm and a lot more flexible.

rhythm164

Jan 5, 2010, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Sportiva Nepal Extremes. Never left me cold even in Adirondack winters.

Lazlo

Jan 5, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Angry hit it on the head.

Maxx640

Jan 5, 2010, 1:58 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Hot boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks,

Around where I live quite a few people wear the new Batura's and seem to be pleased with them. The only problem is the price (as usual)!
Hadn't heard of the La Sportiva K4S before, they seem to be good for a narrow foot like mine. I'll have to try and find a shop to try them.

As for plastic I was lent a pair of Koflach Arctis Expe once and my feet were nice and snug in them even if they are slightly heavy. But I can't find any here in Europe (size 44 EUR).

divnamite

Jan 5, 2010, 3:11 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spantiks are very nice boots, I used them for a week of climbing in Stowe, VT in subzero temps (-10 to -20). They kept my toes from going numb, but not warm. I don't know any boots will keep your toes warm if your feet are cold to begin with. Can't keep the warmth if there is no heat source. Angry is correct in his post. Have you try toe warmers?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook