RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

miklaw

Jan 5, 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Corrosion of stainless steel in Thailand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don’t know if many people saw this article from 2008, but it answers many of the questions about just how this corrosion happened. Researchers from two consulting firms; Sjong Consulting in Boulder COL and Exponent Inc in Menlo Park CAL investigated a failed Petzl hanger from Railay Beach. They analyzed the corrosion product on the failed surface, subjected a new hanger and also some titanium gear to a stress corrosion cracking (SCC) test in boiling magnesium chloride.

They believe that the corrosion came about from a number of factors, residual stresses from manufacture, the very acidic ground water that is common in the tropics, magnesium present in the limestone, having periods of low humidity when chlorine salts can dry on the metal allowing very high concentrations to occur and destroy the protective oxide film, and high temperatures from exposure of the metal and rock to sunlight. It all sounds unlikely but these are the same conditions that led to the catastrophic collapse of a swimming pool roof in 1985. Similar problems have occurred in other tropical areas (Caymen Brac).

The work doesn’t fully explain failure of bolt shafts inside the rock as the temperatures should be lower and the full drying cycle may not occur.

They found that the titanium gear showed no SCC in the boiling magnesium chloride test, and so is probably the answer.

The full citation is:-
A. Sjong, L Eiselstein “Marine atmospheric SCC of unsensitised stainless steel rock climbing protection” Journal of Failure analysis and Prevention, 2008, No. 8, pages 410 - 418

Kinobi

Jan 6, 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miklaw] Corrosion of stainless steel in Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On web site of Petzl more news including link to UIAA.
Ciao,
E

healyje

Jan 7, 2010, 2:05 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miklaw] Corrosion of stainless steel in Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I climbed in Railay in '93, bolts and hangers were failing then - everyone understood Ti was the only way to go back then so I'm a bit surprised to hear people kept sinking SS bolts all along anyway. None of this is news other than the lessons don't sound like they were learned.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$10.76 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook