Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
ILLEGAL - Deep Water Soloing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

corona

Jul 22, 2009, 2:17 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5544 views)
Shortcut

ILLEGAL - Deep Water Soloing  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: New_River_Gorge_Region: Gauley_River___Tributaries__Summersville_: Summersville_Lake)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Um, guys, there's a fine of up to $5000 for deep water soloing in Summersville Lake, and they've got psychotic boat patrol people on it all the time. They're enforcing the fines under a Works ban on cliff diving. It'd be great if they were somehow persuaded to differentiate between the two, because the DWS there is off the hook good.

NJSlacker

Jan 13, 2010, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [corona] ILLEGAL - Deep Water Soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When did this start? I was just getting excited about getting out there for some DWS this summer.

Partner j_ung

Jan 13, 2010, 7:43 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] ILLEGAL - Deep Water Soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The ban on cliff jumping has been in effect for a couple years now. However, my understanding is that climbing over water is not illegal. The difference is subtle.

corona

Jan 13, 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #4 of 7 (5205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] ILLEGAL - Deep Water Soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Correct. And the authorities in their boats choose to interpret falling off rock from a height above 2m as "cliff jumping"

NJSlacker

Jan 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #5 of 7 (5148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

who are these "authorities". Would it be possible to get some form saying that you're a climber, not a jumper?

There's always down climbing, I guess, but then what's the point of a DWS?

Partner j_ung

Jan 14, 2010, 1:33 PM
Post #6 of 7 (5092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NJSlacker] ILLEGAL - Deep Water Soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NJSlacker wrote:
who are these "authorities". Would it be possible to get some form saying that you're a climber, not a jumper?

There's always down climbing, I guess, but then what's the point of a DWS?

The Army Corp of Engineers manages the land and lake. The no-jumping rule is theirs.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jan 14, 2010, 1:48 PM)

newriverE

Jan 14, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #7 of 7 (5025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A local climber this past summer received edification directly from one of the army corps police officers who told him that if he fell off a climb "facing the rock" (arms and feet in front of him) he would not be considered a cliff jumper who was breaking the law. If you fall or jump facing away from the wall you are cliff jumping and subject to the penalties under the law.
I think that what is sometimes the problem is people who are approached by the officers lie and say they didn't jump off (and are then shown video tape the officers took of them climbing and jumping) or convey their frustration with being approached by the boat patrollers.
DWS is awesome, but we aren't entitled to it. Playing it cool and being honest, even if you're in the wrong, is usually a good tactic with any encounter with the police. They have the option to be lenient but are less inclined to exercise that option if you're being a dick. (i.e. "why are you hassling me when you should be out watching for car break ins...)
I say go enjoy the DWS but do it responsibly. Or, go climb some of the great routes at the lake that you have to tie in to.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook