Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing Table Rock
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

RavenKnobClimber

Jan 16, 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #1 of 4 (956 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Table Rock  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Table_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It has been several years since I've been, and I have my own gear but I can't remember if anchors are already prepared for Top-rope climbing. Can anyone set me straight on this. Essentially I'm planning a Spring Break trip and don't want to order gear I won't need.

clemsonscooby

Jan 18, 2010, 6:37 AM
Post #2 of 4 (917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RavenKnobClimber] Climbing Table Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should probably purchase the N.C. Selected Climbs guidebook. TR'ing is almost non-existent at Table Rock. A few of the routes you might be able to TR the second pitch of the climb. A few of the routes can be led with only quickdraws. The access road is still going to be closed if your spring break is in March. The guidebook will outline all of this.

RavenKnobClimber

Jan 18, 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #3 of 4 (877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Climbing Table Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks I'll definitely do that.

Partner j_ung

Jan 18, 2010, 5:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Climbing Table Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clemsonscooby wrote:
You should probably purchase the N.C. Selected Climbs guidebook. TR'ing is almost non-existent at Table Rock. A few of the routes you might be able to TR the second pitch of the climb. A few of the routes can be led with only quickdraws. The access road is still going to be closed if your spring break is in March. The guidebook will outline all of this.

I was going to add that, while you can TR the bottom pitches of some of the routes at Table Rock, you shouldn't. A few exceptions apply, but in general people go to Table Rock for moderate multi-pitch routes. If you're taking up those routes with TRs, IMO, it's poor etiquette. However, I suppose you could do it and be generous about letting other parties climb through. Also, if the access road is closed, you'll probably have the place to yourself anyway.

The most notable exception to the above I can think of is Devil's Cellar on the back side of Table Rock. Other than that, the Chimneys are your best bet. Both are accessible from the top.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jan 18, 2010, 5:19 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook