Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Looking for clims in Grants Pass area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mmelvin

Jan 16, 2010, 8:25 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4924 views)
Shortcut

Looking for clims in Grants Pass area  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Southern_Oregon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Beginner climber looking for places to climb in Grants Pass area or cubs to join in area.

Thanks

milesenoell

Jan 16, 2010, 9:46 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mmelvin] Looking for clims in Grants Pass area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Callahans and Rattlesnake are down that way. I Haven't been to either yet, so I can't speak to their appropriateness for beginners.

dugl33

Jan 17, 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure about the suitability for beginners but you are about a two hour drive to Castle Crags near the town of Dunsmuir, California. (South on 5)

Don't know about Grants Pass per se but I'll try and ask a friend who lives there.

scottb

Jan 17, 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Callahans is your best bet for quality and quantity of beginner-friendly climbs in SW oregon. It's right outside of Roseburg so it'd be about an hour drive from GP. IMO, Callahans is better for beginners than even Smith Rock. The place is seldom crowded, there are plenty of easy climbs with easy TR access and the rock is relatively kind to the hands.

Check out Greg Orton's Umpqua-area climbing guide or "Weekend Rock: Oregon" (Not sure who the author is but it is published by The Mountaineers.)

Other options include Emigrant Lake and Greensprings but they are not much closer than Callahans (they're both near Ashland) and pretty lame compared to Callahans.

Rattlesnake is one of my favorite local climbing areas but the quality climbing begins at 5.10.

If you haven't already, make a visit to the gym in Medford.

linejudge

Jan 18, 2010, 6:32 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From one beginning climber to another, here is my take...

Callahans (Winston) good.Smile
Emigrant (Ashland) great (but brushy and lots of poison oak)Cool
Greensprings (Ashland) good (steep approach, good warmup)Smile

Stay away from Rattlesnake for right now. Its a great place to go and watch climbers, but its has few beginning climbs. But, once you can climb at that level, it has some great routes.Shocked

Rogue Rock Gym in Medford is the local rat hangout. Good people there, very easy going staff and rates are low.Laugh

Orten's book is great as someone else mentioned. Definitely get that.

Feel free to PM me if you need more information!!

gordy

Jan 25, 2010, 1:28 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [linejudge] Looking for clims in Grants Pass area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

castle crags-spring to fall;rattle snake all year if you got burly snow tires;acker rock-mid summer to fall;rabbit ears is sweet slab climbing with multi pitch climbs up to three pitches with walk off early summer to fall,evenings are best in summer its hot climbs from 5.6 to11.b but you have to be a lead climber cause you cant top rpoe it;callahans also very sweet with sand stone cliff band and spires routes from5.5to13;mckinley rock,not mount mckinley,has a couple classic multi pitch climbs also ;green springs spring to fall greasey rock on the classics, mossy in the shade,but far right side has three of my favorites at green springs with good chain anchors;rogue rock gym in medford is the best place to get knowledge;skils ;strength;safety;friends;and lots of love,and you can get equipment;guide books;and climbing partners there;good luck ,gordy
In reply to:

ire510

Sep 10, 2012, 9:27 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It should be noted that since mmelvins inital post and the slew of response in regard to climbing near Grants Pass - Jerry Messinger has so awesomely added the Hellgate Canyon area, much closer to Grants Pass proper?!?!

Having climbed extensively at CC, callahans, greensprings, rattlesnake, willy,... all options for mmelvin in his region I can say that the responses in terms of where he or she may spend the best time as a beginner- Callahans is a great option-

but,

when i lived in so or would have climbed there,has anyone checked Hellgate out? climbed the routes?

might be a suitable area for you mmelvin given its even closer than other recommended sites, seems to have good range of difficulty?

(This post was edited by ire510 on Sep 10, 2012, 9:29 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook