Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Jonmac92

Jan 15, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #1 of 78 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Nutrition
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey guys lately ive been really interested in what everybody has been doing for nutrition before climbing and while climbing like is there a supplement somebody uses just sticks with water and an apple what are you fueling your body with for that nasty flaring off width with that embarrassing beached whale at the end

johnwesely

Jan 15, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #2 of 78 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jonmac92] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jonmac92 wrote:
hey guys lately ive been really interested in what everybody has been doing for nutrition before climbing and while climbing like is there a supplement somebody uses just sticks with water and an apple what are you fueling your body with for that nasty flaring off width with that embarrassing beached whale at the end

I eat a thoroughly unbalanced diet of whatever I want.
Also, what the heck are you even trying to say? I really do not know.

danull16

Jan 15, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #3 of 78 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one pound bag of sour patch kids, nature valley bars, summer sausage, cheese, crackers, and a lot of water. perfection.

chadnsc

Jan 15, 2010, 6:53 PM
Post #4 of 78 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll eat a good sized breakfast (around 600-800 calories) consisting of complex carbohydrates, protein and low amount of fat.

Throughout the day I'll eat a few energy bars and if my blood sugar dips (I'm a type 1 diabetic) I'll have a few energy gel packets.

lena_chita

Jan 15, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #5 of 78 (3078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Jonmac92 wrote:

GU energy gel is guaranteed to prevent the beached-whale-like flopping in regular users.

And powerbar gel blasts come with money-back-guarantee of stick-that-dyno outcome.

johnwesely

Jan 15, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 78 (3061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
I'll eat a good sized breakfast (around 600-800 calories) consisting of complex carbohydrates, protein and low amount of fat.

Chadnsc with henceforth be known as Tubby, Sausage_Gut, or Mr_Buttersworth.

chadnsc

Jan 15, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #7 of 78 (3059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

I am already known as that!

Oh and I prefer Mr. Buttersworth. Tongue

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Jan 15, 2010, 7:34 PM)

johnwesely

Jan 15, 2010, 7:35 PM
Post #8 of 78 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

I am already known as that!

On a more serious note, what constitutes your breakfast on an average day?

chadnsc

Jan 17, 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #9 of 78 (2958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On an average climbing day at the crag:

Yogurt
Granola
Milk

On an average non-climbing day:

Whole grain cereal
Milk

johnwesely

Jan 17, 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #10 of 78 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
On an average climbing day at the crag:

Yogurt
Granola
Milk

On an average non-climbing day:

Whole grain cereal
Milk

That is a lot of cereal.

chadnsc

Jan 18, 2010, 1:35 PM
Post #11 of 78 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They make different types and flavors of cereal.

bustloose

Jan 18, 2010, 7:40 PM
Post #12 of 78 (2869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you should try getting off the milk... Shocked

you'll probably get 100 answers from 100 people about what to eat on a climbing day. i used to eat crap, and climb 5.13, now i eat very healthy meals, and climb 5.13, but feel a lot better doing it. Pepsi and powerbars is one way to fuel up, but it's far from ideal especially if you want to avoid spikes and crashes...

chadnsc

Jan 18, 2010, 9:38 PM
Post #13 of 78 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bustloose] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:

And why would that be?

I drink organic, free range skim milk. Tongue

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Jan 18, 2010, 9:51 PM)

rkepley_1

Jan 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #14 of 78 (2833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This will keep me going solid for about 5hrs or so.

1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1 banana
2-3 tbsp honey
1/2 cup raw old fashion oats (quick oats will work too)
dash or two of cinnamon

mix in blender, about 600-700 cal

bustloose

Jan 18, 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #15 of 78 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
bustloose wrote:

And why would that be?

some nutritionists (the ones that aren't paid by the dairy board) will tell you that we are the only species that continues to drink milk after being weaned off of mothers milk. it's sole purpose is to fatten up babies...
organic free range is of course better in terms of chemicals and animal treatment.

moose_droppings

Jan 19, 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #16 of 78 (2795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:

Shocked
That's OK. I'm not prejudice.
Tongue

johnwesely

Jan 19, 2010, 3:30 AM
Post #17 of 78 (2777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
They make different types and flavors of cereal.

They do? I can only think of one, Cheerios.

chadnsc

Jan 19, 2010, 2:09 PM
Post #18 of 78 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
bustloose wrote:

And why would that be?

some nutritionists (the ones that aren't paid by the dairy board) will tell you that we are the only species that continues to drink milk after being weaned off of mothers milk. it's sole purpose is to fatten up babies...
organic free range is of course better in terms of chemicals and animal treatment.

That is a valid point and to each their own I guess. I like milk and the nutrition it provides. Sure I could get the nutrition from other foods but I choose not to for purely personal reasons (I like milk, tasty!)

sungam

Jan 19, 2010, 2:36 PM
Post #19 of 78 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
bustloose wrote:

And why would that be?

What a load of crap. "fatten them up"? I guess the fact that it's also the fuel that makes the rapid growth of infants possible, along with the development of muscle , brain function, etc.
There is a lot of fat in straight milk, but that is far from being the only ingredient.
As for us being the only species that continues to drink milk after infancy... well, I'd say the more striking point is that we drink the milk of a different species, but then again humans have by far the most varied diet of any animal and are the only animal that consciously grows our own food.

This message was brought to you by the UK dairy board, bribers and buy outs of nutritionists everywhere.

bustloose

Jan 19, 2010, 3:40 PM
Post #20 of 78 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
bustloose wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
bustloose wrote:

And why would that be?

What a load of crap. "fatten them up"? I guess the fact that it's also the fuel that makes the rapid growth of infants possible, along with the development of muscle , brain function, etc.
There is a lot of fat in straight milk, but that is far from being the only ingredient.
As for us being the only species that continues to drink milk after infancy... well, I'd say the more striking point is that we drink the milk of a different species, but then again humans have by far the most varied diet of any animal and are the only animal that consciously grows our own food.

This message was brought to you by the UK dairy board, bribers and buy outs of nutritionists everywhere.

there is no benefit to drinking milk as an adult. i do like that your "striking point" is that we drink the milk of a different species, some would say that's an evolutionary step backward. what, do you suppose the milk of a cow is for, could it be, perhaps, helping the growth of it's own young? bingo.

ever wonder why so many people are lactose intolerant to some degree?

milk is for babies, from mothers. and yes, of course there is more to it than just helping growth, i was being flippant. but the fact remains, that infant development is based on breast milk, which ceases to have any value after a certain developmental period, right around say when mothers tend to stop breast feeding... what a bizarre coincidence eh?

Chadnsc, this is in no way directed at you.

(This post was edited by bustloose on Jan 19, 2010, 3:40 PM)

hyhuu

Jan 19, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #21 of 78 (2689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:

there is no benefit to drinking milk as an adult. i do like that your "striking point" is that we drink the milk of a different species, some would say that's an evolutionary step backward. what, do you suppose the milk of a cow is for, could it be, perhaps, helping the growth of it's own young? bingo.

milk is for babies, from mothers. and yes, of course there is more to it than just helping growth, i was being flippant. but the fact remains, that infant development is based on breast milk, which ceases to have any value after a certain developmental period, right around say when mothers tend to stop breast feeding... what a bizarre coincidence eh?

Are you kidding me? That's the argument? Is there any science to back up those claims? Because it sounds like a 3rd grade logic to me. Is there a biochemist in the house to elucidate us on the human or living organism biochemical process? Strictly from my basic understanding, except for the carbohydrates (lactose), the protein, fat and mineral in milk are the same as those from meats.

Perhaps the reason babies only drink milk is because that's the only form of food they can digest until their diggestive system mature to diggest other food sources. But that doesn't mean that milk can't be comsummed once the diggestive system is matured so to say that's milk offer no value is just absurd.

bustloose

Jan 19, 2010, 4:50 PM
Post #22 of 78 (2680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
bustloose wrote:

Are you kidding me? That's the argument? Is there any science to back up those claims? Because it sounds like a 3rd grade logic to me. Is there a biochemist in the house to elucidate us on the human or living organism biochemical process? Strictly from my basic understanding, except for the carbohydrates (lactose), the protein, fat and mineral in milk are the same as those from meats.

Perhaps the reason babies only drink milk is because that's the only form of food they can digest until their diggestive system mature to diggest other food sources. But that doesn't mean that milk can't be comsummed once the diggestive system is matured so to say that's milk offer no value is just absurd.

wow. just, wow. claims? words fail me.

human breast milk is completely different than cow's milk. you do know that you don't give infants cow's milk, right? it's either breast milk or formula.

there is nothing you can get in cow's milk that you cannot get from other sources.

educate yourself, then make your decisions. if you like milk cause you think it's tasty, and it doesn't disagree with your belly, then go to town, but at least learn some facts about milk first.

jt512

Jan 19, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #23 of 78 (2667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
there is no benefit to drinking milk as an adult.

That is flat-out false. For example
    Osteoporos Int. 2003 Oct;14(10):828-34. Epub 2003 Aug 12.

The effect of milk supplementation on bone mineral density in postmenopausal Chinese women in Malaysia.

Chee WS, Suriah AR, Chan SP, Zaitun Y, Chan YM.

Dietary studies often report low calcium intake amongst post-menopausal Malaysian women and calcium deficiency has been implicated as part of the etiology of age-related bone loss leading to osteoporosis. Therefore, the objective of this study was to examine the effectiveness of high calcium skimmed milk (Anlene Gold, New Zealand Milk, Wellington, New Zealand) to reduce bone loss in Chinese postmenopausal women. Two hundred subjects aged 55-65 years and who were more than 5 years postmenopausal were randomized to a milk group and control group. The milk group consumed 50 g of high calcium skimmed milk powder daily, which contained 1200 mg calcium (taken as two glasses of milk a day). The control group continued with their usual diet. Using repeated measures ANCOVA, the milk supplement was found to significantly reduce the percentage of bone loss at the total body compared to the control group at 24 months (control -1.04%, milk -0.13%; P<0.001). At the lumbar spine, the percentage of bone loss in the control group was significantly higher (-0.90%) when compared to the milk (-0.13%) supplemented group at 24 months (P<0.05). Similarly, milk supplementation reduced the percentage of bone loss at the femoral neck (control -1.21%, milk 0.51%) (P<0.01) and total hip (control -2.17%, milk -0.50%) (P<0.01). The supplemented group did not experience any significant weight gain over the 24 months. The serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D level improved significantly (P<0.01) from 69.1 +/- 16.1 nmol/l at baseline to 86.4 +/- 22.0 nmol/l at 24 months in the milk group. In conclusion, ingestion of high calcium skimmed milk was effective in reducing the rate of bone loss at clinically important lumbar spine and hip sites in postmenopausal Chinese women in Malaysia. Supplementing with milk had additional benefits of improving the serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D status of the subjects.

In reply to:
but the fact remains, that infant development is based on breast milk, which ceases to have any value after a certain developmental period, right around say when mothers tend to stop breast feeding... what a bizarre coincidence eh?

Considering that your "fact" is completely made up, it cannot be a coincidence.

Jay

jt512

Jan 19, 2010, 5:24 PM
Post #24 of 78 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
there is nothing you can get in cow's milk that you cannot get from other sources.

In theory, maybe. In practice, from what other foods is your elderly grandmother going to obtain 1200 mg/day of calcium?

Jay

bustloose

Jan 19, 2010, 5:32 PM
Post #25 of 78 (2656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, it's not false.

jay, you know that you can find a study supporting pretty much any side of any argument, and i'm not going to get into a study-posting battle.

I'm sure you also know you can get Calcium and Vitamin D from a myriad of sources.

also, maybe do a little research about acid / alkaline levels in the body, and which foods are which.

enjoy your little milk-world bubble.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook