Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Kevthecoffeeguy

Jan 19, 2010, 5:14 PM
Post #101 of 159 (9723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
napoleon_in_rags wrote:
US Navy, I remind you that our standards are higher than that of civilians and still apply when our uniforms are off.

If you are a Chief, you need to remember that our job is to lead, teach and motivate. This can involve counselling, quiet explanation, a solid dressing down, or a well directed kick in the ass. It should be done in person and when the unacceptable behavior occurs. Typing up a list for an anonymous website is not leadership but the kind of bitching I would expect from a non-rate or an Ensign right out of OCS.

If you are not a Chief, go find a REAL Chief for advice on how to deal with your partners. He/she might not undestand climbing but he/she will understand people.

Either way, you need to be careful about misrepresenting the Navy, especially in a civilian forum with people who know nothing of the Navy other than what they have seen on JAG and NCIS.

-Pete
-A Chief Petty Officer

Worth 5 stars for entertainment value.

Plus 1 star for the hypocrisy of "dressing down" on a "civilian forum" six weeks after the fact.

Jay
Oh. it was wonderful. it just refreshed my believe that the military motto is still alive and well. You know the one. "Do as I say not as I do

Kevthecoffeeguy

Jan 19, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #102 of 159 (9698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

FIRED? ummmph
sounds like you are such an ass you have to pay someone to belay you....
First rule of climbing... Gravity sucks straight down.
lesson 1 to go with rule 1:
You can either fight it or you can use it. Take your pick.

shockabuku

Jan 19, 2010, 7:36 PM
Post #103 of 159 (9690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kevthecoffeeguy] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kevthecoffeeguy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
napoleon_in_rags wrote:
US Navy, I remind you that our standards are higher than that of civilians and still apply when our uniforms are off.

If you are a Chief, you need to remember that our job is to lead, teach and motivate. This can involve counselling, quiet explanation, a solid dressing down, or a well directed kick in the ass. It should be done in person and when the unacceptable behavior occurs. Typing up a list for an anonymous website is not leadership but the kind of bitching I would expect from a non-rate or an Ensign right out of OCS.

If you are not a Chief, go find a REAL Chief for advice on how to deal with your partners. He/she might not undestand climbing but he/she will understand people.

Either way, you need to be careful about misrepresenting the Navy, especially in a civilian forum with people who know nothing of the Navy other than what they have seen on JAG and NCIS.

-Pete
-A Chief Petty Officer

Plus 1 star for the hypocrisy of "dressing down" on a "civilian forum" six weeks after the fact.

Jay
Oh. it was wonderful. it just refreshed my believe that the military motto is still alive and well. You know the one. "Do as I say not as I do

One case is conclusive evidence of "alive and well"?

Kevthecoffeeguy

Jan 19, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #104 of 159 (9684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Kevthecoffeeguy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
napoleon_in_rags wrote:

-Pete
-A Chief Petty Officer

Jay

One case is conclusive evidence of "alive and well"?
LOL maybe not, but does show it still exists
besides it was really for a bit of humor

kriso9tails

Jan 19, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #105 of 159 (9659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [napoleon_in_rags] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

napoleon_in_rags wrote:
I had a crampon question when "US Navy" caught my eye, especially on a website that recieves advertising money from the Navy.

Well, that's a bit misleading. This site receives advertising money from adsense who receives advertising money from the Navy. Rockclimbing.com has no direct affiliation (that I am aware of) with the Navy.

Partner drector

Jan 19, 2010, 9:47 PM
Post #106 of 159 (9640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

F your stupid laws. Let people climb the way they want.

Law #1, don't tell other people how to climb!

Dave

budman

Jan 19, 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #107 of 159 (9615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1st law of climbing:
USnavy does not talk about climbing
2nd law of climbing:
Usnavy does not talk about climbing

SOMEONE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT CLIMBING

airscape

Jan 28, 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #108 of 159 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the people showing up with other people...

Too many people fuck up a nice climb day.

If I say too many I mean >2....

Girls do not equal people so with those bring as many as you can carry.

airscape

Jan 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #109 of 159 (9497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
USnavy wrote:
In the military one cannot say, “I want to move to 36.349421,-115.169678”. You submit four general requests and the Navy will try to match you up to something similar to one of them. For me I was given the choice to move to Hawaii. It was basically move to Hawaii or go to some boring base in Florida.

You made the right call. That there Harwhya is a nice place.

I've spent quite a bit of time there on business. I decided a long time ago that the islands were 'too small' for me and I'd go bloody mad living there.

But I also decided if I did live there? I would try to touch every summit on every island...

I think the peak bagging ops there are quite unique...

The sport climbing? Same ole 100 routes year in, year out?

Blech!

But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

DMT

Does not hawaii create new routes the whole time with all that lava? Tongue

Hey look I have a brand new mountain range in my living room, now I don't even have to build a woody... those guys on RC.com are gonna be so jealous.

jcrew

Feb 24, 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #110 of 159 (9361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

napoleon_in_rags wrote:

-Pete
-A Chief Petty Officer

easy Chief!

i thought this thread was great; funny and entertaining. US Noobie did a good job, top notch.

I_do

Feb 25, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #111 of 159 (9319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcrew] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jcrew wrote:
napoleon_in_rags wrote:

-Pete
-A Chief Petty Officer

easy Chief!

i thought this thread was great; funny and entertaining. US Noobie did a good job, top notch.

I say screw you we'll determine who's standards are better without your help. Either way you need to be careful about misrepresenting the Navy by you now, sending PM's when appropriate and such.

-Ido
-Indian love machine

jkeough

Dec 5, 2010, 8:08 AM
Post #112 of 159 (9116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is absolutely hillarious, Smile I think anyone who is offended at this post is wound a little too tight

spikeddem

Dec 6, 2010, 3:55 PM
Post #113 of 159 (8999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkeough] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jkeough wrote:
This is absolutely hillarious, Smile I think anyone who is offended at this post is wound a little too tight

Doesn't count; you're from the same state as the OP.

Gotta love that this is probably USNavy's most disliked post ever: 1-star average after 25 ratings! Ha!

Partner camhead

Dec 6, 2010, 6:35 PM
Post #114 of 159 (8957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
jkeough wrote:

Gotta love that this is probably USNavy's most disliked post ever: 1-star average after 25 ratings! Ha!

Wow, "USNavy's most disliked post..." That's an accomplishment. Like Paully Shore's worst movie, or Hitler's most evil act.

southc-climber

Dec 13, 2010, 6:44 AM
Post #115 of 159 (8841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Top roping is a perfectly legitimate form of climbing, as long as you are honest about what you did and didn't do.
I can agree with that. Like I said, TR is good for training regardless if thats learning how to climb or working the moves out on a 5.13 you want to bolt.

dude i think after the billionth time you have thrown 5.13 into this we understand you climb on 13's

second i respect the military (im assuming you are in the navy) and thank you guys for what you have done but please take the time you have off to enjoy climbing even though i definitely understand the safety concerns

guangzhou

Dec 13, 2010, 8:05 AM
Post #116 of 159 (8837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

napoleon_in_rags wrote:

Many of us have self discipline and don;t need leader telling us how to act or not act.

I also think you meant to say, the military is SUPPOSE to have higher standards. What ever that means.

The Military doesn't have higher standards, they have more petty consequences for minor actions. Standards are high, but they are only followed because service members are worried about the consequences, not because they feel they need too or should.

In reply to:

I love face to face chats. I hate to admit it, but some of the worse leaders and leadership I've ever dealt with, witness, or tolerated were military based. With that said, they were some good leaders there too. Just like anywhere else I guess.

A person makes the uniform, the uniform doesn't make the person. If wearing a uniform made you instantly better, they would be no need for military police or UCMJ.

In reply to:

Horrible advice. Instead, go find someone you trust, rank has nothing to do with a person's personality. The military is full of petty people who love to gloats about how much better they are compared to those they outrank.

In reply to:

-Pete
-A Chief Petty Officer

Good advice, I wonder why you didn't send it a PM instead of mentioning the Navy even more in this civilian forum.

A veteran
Emmanuel Lacoste

majid_sabet

Dec 13, 2010, 8:07 AM
Post #117 of 159 (8833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The laws of climbing is meaningless without the laws of climber so if you are an as*hole climber

you are always will be an as*hole climber

guangzhou

Dec 13, 2010, 8:28 AM
Post #118 of 159 (8829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So military. Busy making up rules that don't make sense or enhance life/the experience.

USnavy wrote:
From a sport climbers perspective...

1. Climbing is done on lead.

- Last night you asked if I wanted to go CLIMBING tomorrow. Climbing is done on lead; top rope is for training and noobs. Today you were pissing your pants three feet above a ½” bolt on a 5.8. Grow some balls and get some mileage on lead. I am tired of always belaying you on TR. STOP FOLLOWING, START LEADING. It’s one thing to be scared 15 feet above the last bolt over 5.12 moves but to be top roping 5.11 and hanging 5.8 is pitiful. Next time get your shit together and get on lead. If you need more practice I will work with you but top roping is not going to do shit for you.

Climbing is done on the rocks, sometime on a wall. Who cares if someone want to lead or top-rope.

In reply to:
2. Show up all the time, show up on time.

- Today I was sitting in my car at high noon at the crag and I got a call from you, “umm I uhha lost my cell in my umma the uhha grass so I can’t umm climb today”. YOU’RE FIRED! Show up ON TIME ALL THE TIME. You have held down a job before right? Obviously you are capable of being at an assigned place at an assigned time; it’s not that damn hard. The next time you stand me up I am deleting you from my phone and I am telling everyone at the crag how much of a shit bag you are.

To be honest, from what I've seen of you and based on this post, I'd most likely stand you up too.

Climbing is fun, not work. Assigned place, I don't climb with dictators, I climb with partners. They understand that things happen and they know I'll show up if they is anyway possible. They also know I can entertain myself if they are running late.

If you're being stood-up so much, maybe it's your fault, your personality, or your attitude, not your partners'.

In reply to:
3. Stop short roping me!

- You think “oh shit he is climbing a hard line I better keep him tight because he might fall”. Instead you should be thinking “he is definitely going to fall because I am pulling him off the damn wall”. There is plenty of distance between me and the ground, give me some damn slack. The next time you pull me off the wall I am throwing a quickdraw at you.

Mr expert, short roping is a guide technique used for keeping a client and guide close by. How tight or loose the rope is is irrelevant.

In reply to:
4. Keep the appropriate amount of slack in the rope all the time.

- My foot didn’t pass the last bolt but I stopped 20 feet down. How the hell did that happen…? Belaying is not done with a loop of rope coiled on the ground between me and you. Wake the hell up, apart from a 15 foot dyno there is no way in hell I would ever need that much rope instantly. Two feet of slack in the line is appropriate. It’s not hard to keep only two feet out without short roping the climber. If a bit more is needed for a dynamic move, so be it, but if the rope touches the ground YOU’RE FIRED.

I can agree on this in general, but maybe your partners are sending you a message. Slack penalties can come for various reasons and attitudes.

In reply to:
5. Provide a dynamic belay when appropriate.

- The next time I take a seven foot fall and I question whether I accidently grabbed the static rope out of the closet this morning, YOU’RE FIRED. Static catches rips gear and breaks ankles. I am 50 feet off the ground I am not going to hit the ground so JUMP! I am tired to saying “hey man please remember to jump the next time I fall so I don’t swing into the wall”. Learn how to fucking belay, dynamic belays are a crucial part of lead belaying and they are not hard to perform. If you don’t know how to do it ASK!

Generally speaking, Dynamic belays are a thing of the past. They definitely don't involve jumping. Maybe you just need a new rope.

In reply to:
6. Stand up and pay attention!

- How the hell are you going to provide a static, dynamic or running belay if you’re sitting on your ass day dreaming about the 5.8 you’re going to hang on next? How are you going to react to a lead fall appropriate if you’re flirting with the dude five lines down? The next time I am ten feet above the last bolt and I look down and see you playing with a Gecko on the rock, YOU’RE FIRED.
Wow, you need some new partners, but again, maybe your attitude is keeping people away.

In reply to:
7. When you climb with me you climb with ME.

- Last night you asked if I wanted to go climbing tomorrow. Today you show up with a different partner. “Oh, sorry I figured you already had a partner”. Why the hell would I call you and ask if you want to go climbing tomorrow if I had no intention of climbing with you?! If I meant in a group, don’t you think I would have specified? Group climbing is cool but not when you’re the only one in the group without a partner because your partner blew you off for someone else... If you want to climb in a group SPECIFY so I can call someone else to bring so it’s actually a group.

Wow, you are full of yourself.

Here you are at sport climbing areas, if someone wanted to tag along and be a third person, who cares, they want to enjoy themselves too.

Maybe the original partner needed someone with a personality to be around while having to put up with
you and all you views about how your way is the right way and everyone is wrong.

I am surprised two people actually showed up at the cliff to climb with you.

In reply to:
8. Shut up beta master.

- If I want to hear someone spray beta about a route eight grades above their top rope limit I will go to the gym. Your useless “just dyno for it” beta is fucking with my concentration. Actually, why don’t you try this 5.13. You seem to know everything about it, I would like to see you onsight it. Just don’t cry when you find out you don’t know a thing about it. If I ask for beta, by all means. But when you see someone on a route they have wired going for the redpoint STFU!

Not much for beta either. Of course, you do seem to think you're better than everyone else at the crag. Must be hard to be so perfect.

In reply to:
9. Stop with the negative attitude.

- “Oh, I suck; I will never be able to lead 5.12”. Yes you do suck; no you won’t ever be able to lead 5.12. Know why? Because instead of actually working on your goal you just spray your self-remorse pitiful attitude around. It’s fucking depressing man. Actually put some real time and effort into your goal and you will get it.

Negative attitude, have you read what you wrote here?

In reply to:
10. The crag is not a petting zoo.

- I am tired of looking down to find a dog coiled up in my rope. Keep your damn pets at home if they can’t behave themselves. Your little friend is endangering my life because it’s trying to fuck my belayer’s leg. Oh and the next time I have to replace my rope because you’re dog pissed on it, I am taking yours…

Wow, how many times have you replaced your rope because of dog piss?
Does it actually affect nylon, never considered it actually.

Now that I think about it, on my last Big Wall, I'm pretty sure I pissed on my rope when the wind shifted.

In reply to:

11. Keep your hand on the damn rope!

- I don’t give a shit if you’re using a GriGri or not, your hand will be on the rope at all times. A GriGri can slip, it’s not unheard of. The next time I am ten feet above the last bolt and look down to find your hands on your head, YOU’RE FIRED!

Your belayer really don't like you do they. You sure like to give orders too. Must be that great leadership training you've received on your way to chief-hood.

In reply to:
12. This is not a talk show, this is climbing.

- I came here to climb, not to hear your life story. Some talking in-between climbs is cool but when I am pulling the crux I don’t want about how much you hate your job. Save that shit for the pizza parlor at the end of the day. Actually save it for someone else.

Again, you have some shot luck with your belayers. Personally, 99% of my climbing partners, and strangers I've climbed with have been fine and exhibited non of the traits you mention above. I wonder if someone is trying to send you a message.

My view, you're hate your job and it affect you entire outlook on life. This has made your life so miserable that you can't even found something positive about going climbing.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Dec 13, 2010, 8:36 AM)

guangzhou

Dec 13, 2010, 8:28 AM
Post #119 of 159 (8827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
The laws of climbing is meaningless without the laws of climber so if you are an as*hole climber

you are always will be an as*hole climber

Perfect, and so true.

pakeeza1990

Jan 5, 2011, 9:44 AM
Post #120 of 159 (8607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [west_by_god_virginia] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

keep it up i must appriciate it ...
i have really enjoyed these laws because i love climbing ...
In reply to:

rberrey

Jan 12, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #121 of 159 (8501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pakeeza1990] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pakeeza1990 wrote:
keep it up i must appriciate it ...
i have really enjoyed these laws because i love climbing ...
In reply to:

Wow... I couldn't look at it more differently. I love climbing so these rules are re-god-damn-diculous.

Just climb and have fun while doing it. If me bull shitting and having a good time at the crag pisses you off... well then you can piss off.

And if you don't like my dog humping your leg, just let him finish and he will fall asleep shortly after

KidEpic

Jan 12, 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #122 of 159 (8490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no one with any experience. you really need a solid partner dude, look here!

guangzhou

Jan 13, 2011, 2:40 AM
Post #123 of 159 (8473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KidEpic] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yet another reason not to climb wit you, or to join the U.S. Navy

spikeddem

Jan 13, 2011, 7:38 PM
Post #124 of 159 (8431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
jkeough wrote:

Wow, "USNavy's most disliked post..." That's an accomplishment. Like Paully Shore's worst movie, or Hitler's most evil act.

Thirty six ratings and still a 1-star average. This is almost certainly the most infamous post in RC.com in it's rated history.

airscape

Jan 14, 2011, 5:46 AM
Post #125 of 159 (8397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] The laws of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
camhead wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
jkeough wrote:

Thirty six ratings and still a 1-star average. This is almost certainly the most infamous post in RC.com in it's rated history.

I just added a five star...

now there are 37 ratings.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook