Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Dianna

Aug 4, 2008, 8:40 PM
Post #51 of 116 (37562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Regarding the hip-over-foot advice: I recently have started taking Tai Chi classes, and the practice this gives for quiet, slow, balanced movement is excellent restful meditative training for climbers. Just a thort.

Rawsko

Aug 9, 2008, 4:56 PM
Post #52 of 116 (37525 views)
Shortcut

Re: A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'm brand new to rock climbing (you could even call it pre-brand new). I've always loved to climb, and I recently met some people who inspired me to start climbing more seriously. However, I'm currently on a backpacking trip that will continue until next june. I'm stuck to a budget, and the space confines of my bag disallow the purchase of all the gear I would need. I'm hoping to start training for rock climbing while I travel so that when I get home, I'll have a leg up (which is a particularily distinct advantage in climbing, is it not? -- pun intended). I'm going to keep my eyes open for the book Training for Climbing, but in the mean time, are there any exercises anyone can suggest for me? After reading about the tendons in my fingers, I guess I shouldn't start dead-hanging from door frames? Are there other forearm exercises I should be doing? I'm hoping to buy some kind of small forearm strengthening gadget or the like, but there are a lot to choose from. Any advice?

thanks a bunch!
-Ben

brandom

Sep 2, 2008, 7:06 AM
Post #53 of 116 (37131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dianna] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Diana, I think you're on to a point that deserves repeating. I've done lots of yoga and some Tai-Chi (Taoist). The yoga is great and makes awesome stretching and body work, but the Tai Chi really does give a lot more sense of moving the body's weight around gracefully. I think it's worth taking a class for a season just to find out.

Cheers
Ben Random

HappinessIsWinning

Oct 16, 2008, 5:09 PM
Post #54 of 116 (36950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rawsko] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rawsko wrote:
I'm brand new to rock climbing (you could even call it pre-brand new). I've always loved to climb, and I recently met some people who inspired me to start climbing more seriously. However, I'm currently on a backpacking trip that will continue until next june. I'm stuck to a budget, and the space confines of my bag disallow the purchase of all the gear I would need. I'm hoping to start training for rock climbing while I travel so that when I get home, I'll have a leg up (which is a particularily distinct advantage in climbing, is it not? -- pun intended). I'm going to keep my eyes open for the book Training for Climbing, but in the mean time, are there any exercises anyone can suggest for me? After reading about the tendons in my fingers, I guess I shouldn't start dead-hanging from door frames? Are there other forearm exercises I should be doing? I'm hoping to buy some kind of small forearm strengthening gadget or the like, but there are a lot to choose from. Any advice?

thanks a bunch!
-Ben

Did you read the section about strengthening? You need to focus on skill over strength, if anything I would start trying to WALK up the steepest thing you can safely walk up. Feet are the most important thing you can focus on. If you strengthen your hand strength before learning proper technique you will be more likely to injure yourself when you do start climbing.

You can also find that book Training For Climbing by following this link http://www.google.com/...590189374#ps-sellers

That book discusses how to train, both what to do and what to avoid when getting started.

I would also recommend buying and reading Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills by Craig Luebben
This book outlines some climbing technique as well as safety techniques. This book will offer you the skills to get a "leg up" in the most useful manor, by making you a safe climber.

You can find Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills by Craig Luebben at this link: http://www.google.com/...&sa=N&tab=wf

Good Luck, and Have fun Wink

AaronM777

Mar 6, 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #55 of 116 (36549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HappinessIsWinning] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cool. good info

Bryan2102

May 20, 2009, 4:13 PM
Post #56 of 116 (36362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was great. I started climbing 6 weeks ago, and I've definitely been pushing the grades. The tips about the footwork helped as well.

holleratme64

May 29, 2009, 8:08 AM
Post #57 of 116 (36301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JRHROCK] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dude u never heard of climbing chalk? ur a member of this website, why dont u take a look a the gear, n for your weight do more cardio and do not forget to breath while climbing, it makes it easier for people who have extra weight to carry to move around especially if your breathing rite more oxygene can get to your muscles.

beardy

Jun 14, 2009, 9:07 PM
Post #58 of 116 (36227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holleratme64] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While you are talking about books. One that seems to be getting good reviews (and has only been out since April) is Climbing Games. There is a sample of it here - http://issuu.com/pesdapress/docs/climbinggamess

schultzie_4

Jul 10, 2009, 4:53 PM
Post #59 of 116 (36108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beardy] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great Post, thanks!

bill413

Jul 10, 2009, 7:50 PM
Post #60 of 116 (36094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holleratme64] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

holleratme64 wrote:
dude u never heard of climbing chalk? ur a member of this website, why dont u take a look a the gear, n for your weight do more cardio and do not forget to breath while climbing, it makes it easier for people who have extra weight to carry to move around especially if your breathing rite more oxygene can get to your muscles.

I found it hard to breath while trying to read that as one sentence.

yuan

Aug 4, 2009, 1:27 PM
Post #61 of 116 (36009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

www.liuchangzhong.com
it is a good rock climbing training school in china, including basic and advanced climbing skills, bouldering, outdoor climbing etc.

Coaches are best professional rock climbers in China with experience and qualification.

welcome for your consultation and participation~~
tel: 13764606209
email: dorothychen1014@hotmail.com

(This post was edited by yuan on Aug 4, 2009, 1:29 PM)

skatergirl

Aug 14, 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #62 of 116 (35941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really liked this thread, I am getting back into climbing it had many useful tips.Blush
In reply to:

2thetop

Oct 11, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #63 of 116 (35822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate everything said here. Very new to climbing and have heard lots of talk, but you have definitely set me straight on more than most.

I like the gym I have here in town, but am chomping at the bit to get out on real rock and give it a try!

Will definitely take it slower than I want to. Not only for safety reasons, but for the pure notion to get the most out of every climb.

marc801

Oct 11, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #64 of 116 (35810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
holleratme64 wrote:

I found it hard to breath while trying to read that as one sentence.
Plus the effort of translating from both texting-speak and gibberish to English.

For fucksake, if you don't know the difference between you're and your or rite and right, why should anyone believe anything you have to say about training?

cimber15

Dec 18, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #65 of 116 (35734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats a pretty decent guide

Kevthecoffeeguy

Jan 17, 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #66 of 116 (35604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RB_Rockhead] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got one thing to say to noobs :don't worry bout upper body strength. Think FEET. if you are pulling down ya ain't using yer feet. hold yourself IN , WALK up the climb

Robot

Jan 20, 2010, 5:26 PM
Post #67 of 116 (35554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] A little training guide for noobs. Thanks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for some great advise! I have only been climbing for about a year but have became addicted. When I started there were a couple girls showing me a few things and I understand that they are more graceful and wonderful teachers. Something else that has helped me A LOT is what stymingersfink said, start asking questions. I have yet to meet a rude person at the wall not willing to help out.

i_h8_choss

Mar 13, 2010, 9:13 PM
Post #69 of 116 (35411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Robot] A little training guide for noobs. Thanks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Robot wrote:
Thanks for some great advise! I have only been climbing for about a year but have became addicted. When I started there were a couple girls showing me a few things and I understand that they are more graceful and wonderful teachers. Something else that has helped me A LOT is what stymingersfink said, start asking questions. I have yet to meet a rude person at the wall not willing to help out.

Well said Robot!Wink
We rock climbers are really nice people. huh? We were just like you our first year in. We do wanna help out others, save others, feed, give a beer, etc. I bet you some of the biggest A-holes on this site are nice in real life. Boy....I feel a lot better about everything.Angelic Thanks RobotSly

belikerk

Mar 15, 2010, 3:10 AM
Post #70 of 116 (35378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is one of the best ways for getting ready to sport climb. it get's your fingers in shape. Emphasize the point of using your feet

Scooterchic

Apr 1, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #71 of 116 (35306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks mucho!

Cheers, Scooterchic

tothesummit

Apr 26, 2010, 8:16 PM
Post #72 of 116 (35258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All in all good advice. I've found that a large majority of injuries and ailments in any sport seem to stem from people not warming up, stretching, and cooling down. It's not sexy or exciting. It's just how our bodies work. I also take a vitamin supplement for climbers that has given me pretty good results: http://www.vitarack.myshopify.com

Mad_Man_Mark

Apr 28, 2010, 3:55 AM
Post #73 of 116 (35229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tothesummit] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good thread, very helpful fir a newb like me.

macattack

Jun 5, 2010, 9:18 PM
Post #74 of 116 (35143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] A little training guide for noobs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just woke up from passing out...lol

brendar7639

Jun 9, 2010, 9:36 AM
Post #75 of 116 (35110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

http://moviesonlinefree.biz

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook