RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

trafla

Jan 20, 2010, 9:32 PM
Post #1 of 12 (5992 views)
Shortcut

popular ski mountaineering boots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm getting into AT / Ski mountaineering.

Wondering what favorites people have for boots. Something it's actually reasonable to to a bit of climbing in, as it seems for most ski mountaineering no one is packing two pairs of boots. I'm not committed to any one binding at this point

I've been looking at these Dynafits Zzero4 PX-TF
http://www.dynafit.at/...37-Zzero4_PX_TF.html

and these Garmont radiums
http://www.garmontusa.com/821025211.html

or one of their otheir other boots

but am still assuming there are a two or three boots out there that are very popular for ski mountaineering, trying to see what those are.

thanks

scuclimber

Jan 26, 2010, 5:42 AM
Post #2 of 12 (5914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trafla] popular ski mountaineering boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trafla wrote:

Wondering what favorites people have for boots. Something it's actually reasonable to to a bit of climbing in, as it seems for most ski mountaineering no one is packing two pairs of boots. I'm not committed to any one binding at this point

but am still assuming there are a two or three boots out there that are very popular for ski mountaineering, trying to see what those are.

thanks

What kind of climbing?

The boots you mentioned are both excellent boots (although I'd just go with carbon on the Dynafit if it fits your foot). It more comes down to fit.

I'll attest that climbing shitty, loose Class 4 in four-buckle tele boots sucks ass.

Definitely get Dynafit bindings. Don't even bother with anything else.

wargowsky

Jan 26, 2010, 6:02 AM
Post #3 of 12 (5907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it depends on what your definition of ski mountaineering is, but if you're just using skis for the approach and decent after a technical climb, i'd recommend buying a pair of bindings that fit your mountaineering boots. Silvretta (model 404, 500, 505, and 550) have a wire toe bail and will accept any boot with a toe and heel welt. I just did katahin (32 mile round trip skiing) in an old pair of silvrettas bindings and spantik boots. that setup did very well. just a thought....

scuclimber

Jan 28, 2010, 8:49 AM
Post #4 of 12 (5862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wargowsky] popular ski mountaineering boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

wargowsky wrote:
it depends on what your definition of ski mountaineering is, but if you're just using skis for the approach and decent after a technical climb, i'd recommend buying a pair of bindings that fit your mountaineering boots. Silvretta (model 404, 500, 505, and 550) have a wire toe bail and will accept any boot with a toe and heel welt. I just did katahin (32 mile round trip skiing) in an old pair of silvrettas bindings and spantik boots. that setup did very well. just a thought....

^^^ That's mountaineering, not ski mountaineering. You're just using the skis to approach/deproach. Anything technical on the descent would be downclimbed.

Ski mountaineering = what Andrew McLean, Alex Lowe, Doug Coombs, Hans Saari, etc. do/did---climb up (potentially technical), and ski something technical. The difference between this and simple BC skiing is the level of climbing required. The difference between this and mountaineering with skis as a vehicle is the level of skiing required.

stagg54

Jan 28, 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #5 of 12 (5852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] popular ski mountaineering boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I pretty new to ski mountaineering, but I have a pair of Scarpa Lasers that I picked up used and they work pretty well. The ski real well and I've climbed vertical ice in them. I have to say they would probably suck if you were climbing a lot of scree, but I didn't find them that much worse than my clunky invernos.

I hear the Scarpa Denalis get good ratings.

Oh and I use the Fritschi Freerides and love them. They're definitely bomber for some serious downhills.

raist

Feb 18, 2010, 2:23 PM
Post #6 of 12 (5701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

garmont mega rides

for AT setup that is

harpo_the_climber

Feb 23, 2010, 5:51 PM
Post #7 of 12 (5649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] popular ski mountaineering boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Dyna Zzero 4C. It is the best compromise between lightness/stiffness on the market today. You should look at the Dyna LTL5 coming out next next year. 75% lighter than the Zzero 4C, and stiffer than anything that weight, but how stiff compared to the Zzero 4C is unclear. I need all the help I can get so I will stick to the Zzero 4C until more reviews of the TLT 5 come in.

You can punch both the Zzero and the TLT5 considerable for both length and forefoot width.

Partner brent_e

Mar 2, 2010, 3:04 AM
Post #8 of 12 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [harpo_the_climber] popular ski mountaineering boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I asked a very similar question to the gentleman on the front of this book. He told me that he really likes using Scarpa F3 boots and dynafit bindings because they were light, climbed well, and skied well for what he was doing (he guides in the adirondacks).

harpo_the_climber

Mar 2, 2010, 3:29 AM
Post #9 of 12 (5527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] popular ski mountaineering boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brent_e wrote:
I asked a very similar question to the gentleman on the front of this book. He told me that he really likes using Scarpa F3 boots and dynafit bindings because they were light, climbed well, and skied well for what he was doing (he guides in the adirondacks).

The F3 has a bellows in the toe like a tele book, so it flexes in the forefoot, make it less than ideal for steep ice.

dr_monkey

Mar 2, 2010, 5:04 AM
Post #10 of 12 (5500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are in the wrong place, go to a ski specific forum or blog, and do a search. I recommend Teton Gravity (however don't go in there asking this question without doing a ton of reading first, you'll get ate up.)

Or go to wildsnow, tetonat, epicski, etc. Better yet try all of the above.

What it comes down to is what do you want to emphasize, the skiing or climbing. Skiing? Consider going heavier. For climbing a lighter, flexier 3 buckle is best. Generally that is, some people can lead hard mixed stuff in alpine boots and others can rip any line in their slippers.

What and where will you be riding? What is your skill level?

That will narrow it down to a few boots, most likely one or two from each manufacturer (Black Diamond, Scarpa, Garmont, Dynafit are the biggies.) Then find a shop or two that sells them and try them all on, preferably with the help of a good boot fitter. Each company's last is different and will fit a different foot type better.

AT boots are expensive, and the shells will last a long time. It is well worth the time and energy to inform yourself before throwing down the cash. I once made the mistake of buying whatever boot looked good on the internet, my feet and skiing suffered, and I ended up spending the money again the next year on a better fitting boot. But that is just the way some of us learn ;) The hard way.

DRS

Partner brent_e

Mar 3, 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #11 of 12 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [harpo_the_climber] popular ski mountaineering boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

harpo_the_climber wrote:
brent_e wrote:

The F3 has a bellows in the toe like a tele book, so it flexes in the forefoot, make it less than ideal for steep ice.

this is true. if you're climbing something that you're skiing down there probably won't be a tonne of super steep ice on it.
and if the intention is to climb steep ice a rigid crampon would improve the performance.

again, I have NO experience with these boots, i'm just going on what this guide suggested.

irregularpanda

Mar 3, 2010, 3:34 AM
Post #12 of 12 (5419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trafla wrote:

thanks

Again, I'm going to re-iterate what other people have said so far. What do you plan on doing?

Do you plan on skiing highly technical terrain, but with mild approaches?

Do you plan on skiing easy to moderate terrain, but want a highly technical and difficult climb to access it?

Do you want the best of both worlds, where the approach and descent are both technically demanding? (Get your fucking avalanche certs!)

If you want the first option, then just get really good ski boots, and assuming you like a locked-down heel, then stick with the fritschi bindings. Solid 4 buckle, stiff bindings should be fine in most snow and ice mountaineering terrrain. Just make sure that crampons will fit the boot. Although, if you need to use the crampons to access your terrain, then the skiing might suck....

If you want the second option, where you ski easy terrain, and want a difficult approach....this is tricky. I'm not sure what type of boot you want, but the silvretta bindings perform very well as long as you stick to forgiving ski terrain. The advantage with the silvretta setup (I believe) is that they will accept most any boot. I would also think that any high-end AT boot would be able to accomodate crampons. I'm pretty sure that garmont fits the bill. Be warned, garmont is good for people with a narrow foot, they sure as hell don't fit me. But I think any high end 4 buckle boot that fits crampons, could work on ice, and wouldn't be entirely unmanagable on loose 4th class rock.

If you want difficult mountaineering, and difficult terrain. Well, I just can't give any recommendations, because I don't fucking know.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook