Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbandride

Jan 21, 2010, 3:25 PM
Post #1 of 32 (10718 views)
Shortcut

Campus Training for power
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do I necessarily need a campus board with specific campus rungs or can I get away with just setting holds on a wall and campusing them? And are jugs OK to use for said training?

I want to start campusing for power training but my local gym does not have a campus board (or any training specific stuff for that matter) but it does have a section of wall at an acceptable angle for this type of training.

sungam

Jan 21, 2010, 3:27 PM
Post #2 of 32 (10711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbandride] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, seeing as campusing is for recruitment, not for power, and is kinda meant to be targeting your contact strength campusing on jugs will do little compared to proper campusing.

What angle is the wall at? Could you convince the gym to buy a couple rungs and screw them on that wall?

aerili

Jan 21, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #3 of 32 (10663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Well, seeing as campusing is for recruitment, not for power, and is kinda meant to be targeting your contact strength campusing on jugs will do little compared to proper campusing.

Increased recruitment is part of power development, sungam.

Campusing should enhance power in the upper body.

sungam

Jan 21, 2010, 9:08 PM
Post #4 of 32 (10660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
sungam wrote:

Increased recruitment is part of power development, sungam.

Campusing should enhance power in the upper body.
True, but campusing alone won't give the gains that proper power training will give when supplemented with campusing. It makes more sense (to me) to view them as two separate things that need training.

spacemonkey07

Jan 21, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #5 of 32 (10630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbandride wrote:
Do I necessarily need a campus board with specific campus rungs or can I get away with just setting holds on a wall and campusing them? And are jugs OK to use for said training?

I want to start campusing for power training but my local gym does not have a campus board (or any training specific stuff for that matter) but it does have a section of wall at an acceptable angle for this type of training.

better make your own campus board then... not so hard to do. The main issue with a wall is that you don't have any free space below the lowest rung.

Principia

Jan 21, 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #6 of 32 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
True, but campusing alone won't give the gains that proper power training will give when supplemented with campusing. It makes more sense (to me) to view them as two separate things that need training.

Can you elaborate? What would be an example of training them separately? In other words, if not something like campusing to build power...then what. I guess I'm confused about the definition of power (not literally...as it applies to climbing) and recruitment and hypertrophy.

aerili

Jan 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #7 of 32 (10589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
True, but campusing alone won't give the gains that proper power training will give when supplemented with campusing.

Such as...bouldering and so forth?

In reply to:
It makes more sense (to me) to view them as two separate things that need training.
What are two separate things? Power training and campusing? Power and recruitment? Power and recruitment are not separate. Although power does not train maximal recruitment the way pure strength does; it does especially improve recruitment speed, however.

sungam

Jan 22, 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #8 of 32 (10561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
sungam wrote:
True, but campusing alone won't give the gains that proper power training will give when supplemented with campusing.

In reply to:
It makes more sense (to me) to view them as two separate things that need training.
What are two separate things? Power training and campusing? Power and recruitment? Power and recruitment are not separate. Although power does not train maximal recruitment the way pure strength does; it does especially improve recruitment speed, however.
Sure bouldering, 4x4s etc.
I suppose I wasn't really clear on what I meant, if I meant anything at all. I guess what I was trying to say is it's not necessarily (in my view) the best idea to have campussing as your main power training exercise. Firstly since I'm not sure anybody's elbows can handle that kind of treatment (not to mention the digits), but also because it's not a complete power workout - unless you're climbing at one of a very select few places you will rarely be pulling straight down on your holds and although I view contact strength as the main target for training for climbing core strength, including shoulder "stability" is important to make the most of said strength. I had another point about something, but I forgot it. Perhaps about the jugs thing or something.

chossmonkey

Jan 22, 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #9 of 32 (10550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to admit that it is really funny to see Magnus giving out training advice.

malcolm777b

Jan 22, 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #10 of 32 (10540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
aerili wrote:
sungam wrote:

In reply to:
Sure bouldering, 4x4s etc.
I suppose I wasn't really clear on what I meant, if I meant anything at all. I guess what I was trying to say is it's not necessarily (in my view) the best idea to have campussing as your main power training exercise. Firstly since I'm not sure anybody's elbows can handle that kind of treatment (not to mention the digits), but also because it's not a complete power workout - unless you're climbing at one of a very select few places you will rarely be pulling straight down on your holds and although I view contact strength as the main target for training for climbing core strength, including shoulder "stability" is important to make the most of said strength. I had another point about something, but I forgot it. Perhaps about the jugs thing or something.

I'm pretty sure that campus boarding is the bread and butter of max recruitment training. Between the gains made by training the nervous system to synchronize signals, and the inhibition of the negative feedback loop of the GTO, I can't think of something that has as much benefit for pure power as the campus board.

I would agree about the chance of injury though.

sungam

Jan 22, 2010, 2:19 AM
Post #11 of 32 (10514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
I have to admit that it is really funny to see Magnus giving out training advice.
Meh, Just kicking thoughts around. I'm more or less just spewing out what my flatmate told me when I asked him the same questions, and whatever he is doing is working exceptionally well.

aerili

Jan 22, 2010, 7:10 AM
Post #12 of 32 (10470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [malcolm777b] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

malcolm777b wrote:
I'm pretty sure that campus boarding is the bread and butter of max recruitment training.

It probably depends on what type of campusing you're doing. Some campus workouts are "slower" than others; thus, those would focus on more max recruitment, whereas "faster" campusing workouts would focus on maximal firing rate.

Then again, it appears small muscle groups (like the arms and shoulders possibly) rely on increasing firing rates to produce greater power, whereas larger muscle groups (like the lats and traps possibly) rely on increased recruitment patterns to produce greater power. So speed of the workout may not matter as much as we think for "how" power is produced.

In reply to:
Between the gains made by training the nervous system to synchronize signals, and the inhibition of the negative feedback loop of the GTO, I can't think of something that has as much benefit for pure power as the campus board.
Inhibiting the GTO is unlikely to have any significant effect on force production. I believe that is dated theory.

ShibbyShane

Jan 24, 2010, 1:46 AM
Post #13 of 32 (10362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So.. what IS a good way to train for power? A mixture of bouldering and campusing, fingerboard workouts, what?

Also, what's max recruitment? Is there some good training info on the web you could point me to?

bothomsen

Jan 24, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #14 of 32 (10337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ShibbyShane] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ShibbyShane wrote:
So.. what IS a good way to train for power? A mixture of bouldering and campusing, fingerboard workouts, what?

Also, what's max recruitment? Is there some good training info on the web you could point me to?

i think many uses a few different words, you need no know the meaning of. to understand there answers!

power= the abillity to a initiate(accelerate) a dynamic movement. more power -> harder moves kan be performed.
just like when a runner, starts a sprint.

strenght= to hold a difficult position for a short time. like doing 1 very static move or like a deadpoint.
like lifting a dumbell...

Recruitment= this means to optimize the nerves and muscles abillity to perform maximall strengh/power at a surtain time.

contactstrengh= the abillity to make max finger strengh fast(like when you have grab a hold after a dynamic move). (firering rate/ the nerves signal speed abillity)

anybody feel free to correct me if wrong or just diff. to understand.

(This post was edited by bothomsen on Jan 24, 2010, 3:43 AM)

malcolm777b

Jan 24, 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #15 of 32 (10283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Inhibiting the GTO is unlikely to have any significant effect on force production. I believe that is dated theory.
What is the current theory on why plyometrics work so well? I looked around for a bit, but either found references to the GTO, or nothing at all on WHY plyometrics work. I did find an article on training for high jumpers, but it talked about force gains from disinhibition of the GTO being too minimal to explain the gains from plyometric training, but no replacement theory.

aerili

Jan 25, 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #16 of 32 (10178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [malcolm777b] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

malcolm777b wrote:
aerili wrote:
What is the current theory on why plyometrics work so well? I looked around for a bit, but either found references to the GTO, or nothing at all on WHY plyometrics work. I did find an article on training for high jumpers, but it talked about force gains from disinhibition of the GTO being too minimal to explain the gains from plyometric training, but no replacement theory.

First of all, I really don't believe campusing is plyometric in nature. It is not proven that the amortization phase is short enough. Not to mention that campusing is not plyometric anyway unless you are dropping down from one rung to one below, then immediately springing back up to the one above. (But again, no definitive proof this particular exercise is actually plyometric either.) So, it's irrelevant.

But anyway, plyometrics work because of muscle spindles--they cause the stretch-shortening cycle to occur if the time is short enough between eccentric and concentric contractions. Maybe plyo's alter the GTO threshold of activation to maximize the muscle spindle action but I don't think this is clear.

ShibbyShane wrote:
What is max recruitment?
When the nervous system recruits (i.e. fires) as many motor units (i.e. skeletal muscle cells) as possible in a given muscle to produce the greatest amount of force possible by the muscle.

As for what exercises are "best" for power, well, there are a lot of threads on here discussing that topic. Search and ye shall find.

jto

Jan 28, 2010, 9:45 AM
Post #17 of 32 (10063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aerili has it right, as usual Smile Nothing to add.

I think more relevant than just talking about campusing being good or not is talking about the style of maximum strength training.

You need three kinds of strength:
- Dynamic strength (I think this is called power in english): Like dynos and deadpoints.
- Non-dynamic movement strength: Like forcing a move more staticly without any dynamic help or momentum.
- Static strength: Like holding a pose or a lock off.

The best way to train for any of these is... well, train exactly these skills preferably on the wall so the movement skills and the whole body coordination is trained as well. For example lock offs are absolutely a whole body thing and not just an arm exercise. Maximum strength and power is all about neural stuff so the closer the real thing you are the better.

So training for dynamic strength or power the best way absolutely is doing physically very hard moves very dynamicly. In practice just 1-2 moves per hand so you barely can catch the target. The problem length for max strength should be kept around 5-20 secs total.

There are also a few variables one could do:
- Only throw and catch and hold the lock off for 1-3 secs.
- Throw, catch and try to do a move bona fide.
- Throw, catch and do another move.

(This post was edited by jto on Jan 28, 2010, 9:47 AM)

ghisino

Jan 28, 2010, 5:15 PM
Post #18 of 32 (10023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jto] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jto wrote:
So training for dynamic strength or power the best way absolutely is doing physically very hard moves very dynamicly. In practice just 1-2 moves per hand so you barely can catch the target.

interesting toughts.
some points for more discussion.

-a real climbing move as you propose is always rather unique and will have quite a high technical content. Do you think it is easy set up a move that will still be maximal when performed with perfect technique?
Or, rather, one is always going to set up a sub-maximal problem and train technique more than "raw" power, this way?
Doesn't the simplicity of the campus board provide a shortcut around this issue?

-assume you set up the "really maximal" move we mention above.
In the very first tries it will be desperate, and at some point one might feel close even if not mastering the move that well.
I see injury potential here what do you think?
Do you agree that it is easier to perform exercises with perfect form and thus low injury potential when they are brought down to a simple and archetype that is learned once for all, as it happens on the campus board or a system board?

-from another point of view, since any real rock move is likely to present more of a technical challenge for most climbers, than a physical one, is it really necessary to see this in power/strenght terms?

In other words, i agree with your suggestion that practicing hard(ish) one movers will be more effective than campusing for 90% of climbers, but because of a different reasoning.

jto

Jan 28, 2010, 7:03 PM
Post #19 of 32 (9996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ghisino] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very technical moves shouldn´t be the main meat of maximum strength training as it is usually more difficult to do the move at all than to catch the target hold. So you shouldn´t end up doing only the movement starters.

Most of the bulk should be done on technically easyish but physically hard problems. Always keep the progression in mind of course. Both in tech and in strength.

You might even grade your own probs in both categories for example "Pink 3 move prob: 5, IV" in the scale of 1-5, I-V the first meaning physical difficulty and the latter the technical difficulty. The grading is very important but it is done only for your own purposes, not generally.

The simplicity of campus training DOES create a shortcut, BUT the problem is the similarity of the usual campus hold. This creates problems in the repetitiviness, plateauing and injury issues.

As this is neural training one should use different hold types too to gain max strength more widely as the fact is the carryover from one hold type to another is quite poor.

So to make campusing much more efficient one should build a better board. In my book that would include at least:
- 2cm edges for openhands and ½-crimps
- big round slopers where your wrist bends a bit too
- big flat slopers
- pinches

To your second "-" the answer is above in the first paragraphs: the progression. Start easier and progress. Both tech and power.

I really have to stress the whole body movement a lot in the max strength training too. It should NOT be a hand or upper body moves only as campusing mainly is.

I don´t agree with your third "-". I think you have terribly technical probs both indoors and outdoors as well as physicals too.

Cheers.

mr.tastycakes

Jan 28, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #20 of 32 (9991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ghisino] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ghisino wrote:
I see injury potential here what do you think?

-from another point of view, since any real rock move is likely to present more of a technical challenge for most climbers, than a physical one, is it really necessary to see this in power/strenght terms?

This thread is freakin' dripping with injury potential, working the campus board and threshold bouldering are like two of the most intense training activities you can do!

re: your second point, the whole strength/technique dichotomy is a false one, IMO. even a campus move is not a pure expression of physical strength (i.e. it also requires precision and coordination). I'm starting to sound like a SCC zealot, so i'll stop here.

lena_chita

Jan 28, 2010, 7:11 PM
Post #21 of 32 (9989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jto wrote:
The simplicity of campus training DOES create a shortcut, BUT the problem is the similarity of the usual campus hold. This creates problems in the repetitiviness, plateauing and injury issues.

As this is neural training one should use different hold types too to gain max strength more widely as the fact is the carryover from one hold type to another is quite poor.

So to make campusing much more efficient one should build a better board. In my book that would include at least:
- 2cm edges for openhands and ½-crimps
- big round slopers where your wrist bends a bit too
- big flat slopers
- pinches.

So, basicly a systems board instead of plain campus rungs?

jto

Jan 28, 2010, 7:16 PM
Post #22 of 32 (9985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Campus Training for power [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena chita: yes. very much so. kind of hybrid board where you can campus and do system probs too.

the gains and transfer effect to real rock will be much better. absolutely.

(This post was edited by jto on Jan 28, 2010, 7:17 PM)

malcolm777b

Jan 29, 2010, 3:56 AM
Post #23 of 32 (9958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
First of all, I really don't believe campusing is plyometric in nature. It is not proven that the amortization phase is short enough. Not to mention that campusing is not plyometric anyway unless you are dropping down from one rung to one below, then immediately springing back up to the one above. (But again, no definitive proof this particular exercise is actually plyometric either.) So, it's irrelevant.

But anyway, plyometrics work because of muscle spindles--they cause the stretch-shortening cycle to occur if the time is short enough between eccentric and concentric contractions. Maybe plyo's alter the GTO threshold of activation to maximize the muscle spindle action but I don't think this is clear.

Yes, I was referring to campus double dynos. I watched a friends contact strength go absolutely through the roof when he added those to his training scheme.

Thanks for that one.

rockforlife

Jan 29, 2010, 4:28 AM
Post #24 of 32 (9949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jto wrote:
lena chita: yes. very much so. kind of hybrid board where you can campus and do system probs too.

the gains and transfer effect to real rock will be much better. absolutely.

you should ask Wolfgang Güllich (RIP) how his campus boards worked out for him.

dugl33

Jan 29, 2010, 5:11 AM
Post #25 of 32 (9940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand half of what is being discussed here, but I've always thought Eric Horsts HIT strips have potential. Maybe these are more about strength than power, but the fact that each of 5 strips has the same set of holds means you can train a hold(s) until failure. Seems like it could be used for power work too.

http://www.nicros.com/pdf/hitstripsystem.pdf

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook