Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Lake Amatitlan Climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dropknee87

Jan 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #1 of 1 (669 views)
Shortcut

Lake Amatitlan Climbing  (South_and_Central_America: Guatemala: Lake_Amatitlan)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just visited this area in Jan 2010. Closest sport climbing to Guatemala City. Or atleast so I was told by the locals. Locals are very friendly and excited to have visitors climbing. Go on sunday for best chance to meet people. I went on two sundays and there were atleast 15 people out. Tendency to find people that speak english, so go even if you don't speak spanish. Most of the routes are not to long. 10 to 12 draws should be plenty. Interesting volcanic rock. appears to be kinda chossy. But I didn't break any holds, not even foot holds. Mostly vertical or less than. Cracks and crimps. A lot of routes could be protected on gear, although rock quality is not the best. Didn't see anything harder than about 5.11d. But i did not climb them all so not entirely sure. About 15 - 20 routes. To hot to climb in the mid-day in the dry season. The best gym in the city "Gravidad Cero" has closed down. So your best bet is to just go to the crag to find climbing partners. Or e-mail me and I can give you some locals numbers. Not a climbing destination...but if your in Guatemala and want to climb, it does the trick. I hear there is bouldering in another city near by...and that the best route climbing in the country is in the Xela (quetzaltenango) region.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook