Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Colombian climbers in the RRG
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

juancho_rois

Jan 13, 2010, 8:04 PM
Post #1 of 11 (8295 views)
Shortcut

Colombian climbers in the RRG  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

We are 3 colombian climbers who are planning to go to RRG on the first 2 weeks of april. I definitely want to go there for the comments i´ve heard, but we are unsure about the weather in this time of the year (more taking into account the global warming effects), as we want to spend the more time climbing and not in the tents watching the rain.

We went about 2 years ago to the southwest in this same time and it was great, but we want to know different places and from what i´ve heard, the RRG is a really good option.

Could any local give me some advise?, should we take the risk or rather go to somewhere that will be dry for sure? I would really appreciate your help!

johnwesely

Jan 13, 2010, 8:18 PM
Post #2 of 11 (8275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juancho_rois] Colombian climbers in the RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You can climb at the red if it is raining. If it is not too hot, it probably will not be super nasty to do so.

captainstatic

Jan 23, 2010, 4:00 AM
Post #3 of 11 (8188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to be in the Red for two weeks you will definitely have some decent days. April is spring break season so Miguel's will be busy.

osujeep

Jan 23, 2010, 5:27 AM
Post #4 of 11 (8162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my best piece of advice.. find a way to stay longer... as in for 6 months.. the red is huge there are about 3500 routes in the guide book with many more established and not in there with more going up all the time... the weather does not really matter because so much is overhung.. there will always be dry routes, as long as you can climb harder then 5.10d.. get strong real strong the overhang is punishing. some of the best sport in the country is there. i love the red.miguel's is great, you will like it. if you like a lot of climbers of all ages everywhere all the time. every crag there is a great crag. there are classics, you will find them. have fun, pull hard, and stay safe.

(This post was edited by osujeep on Jan 23, 2010, 5:30 AM)

juancho_rois

Jan 23, 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #5 of 11 (8124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [osujeep] Colombian climbers in the RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the advices!!, we are training hard, specially endurance as i know it is needed there. Actually one of my goals is to send my first 14a over there as in our country there arent too many hard hard routes to choose..., last visit to the USA i sent my first 13d.

I only hope the weather is good, im sure the vibe will be. Wink

osujeep

Jan 23, 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #6 of 11 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you look on mementum video there are a few vids of routes from the red.. most harder than 13b.. so can get some beta if you want it. sounds like you have things under control.

cavemanNdisguise

Jan 23, 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #7 of 11 (8096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing you need to know about Kentucky is the weather is unpredictable. You could see temperatures in the 80's or in the 40's. It might be sunny, it might be rainy, it might even snow in April. You really won't have any idea what the weather is going to do until about a week before you get here and even then it could change. If you're climbing 5.13 you won't have any problem finding dry routes if it's raining. The temperatures should be acceptable that time of year, so the Red would be a great destination for you. Feel free to PM with any more detailed questions.

juancho_rois

Jan 27, 2010, 1:55 AM
Post #8 of 11 (7999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [osujeep] Colombian climbers in the RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks again, im looking at those vids, all the beta is well received. Its almost a fact we are going there on april.

johnwesely

Jan 27, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #9 of 11 (7988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

juancho_rois wrote:
Thanks again, im looking at those vids, all the beta is well received. Its almost a fact we are going there on april.

Also, Red River Ruckus will get you psyched on the routes that you are going to want to get on, 13+ and 14-. Great video.

juancho_rois

Jan 27, 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #10 of 11 (7955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Colombian climbers in the RRG [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw the Red River Rockus trailer and its exactly what i needed to get reeaaally super psyched!, where can i find the complete edition? Can it be downloaded?

Thanks!

johnwesely

Jan 28, 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #11 of 11 (7942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

juancho_rois wrote:
I just saw the Red River Rockus trailer and its exactly what i needed to get reeaaally super psyched!, where can i find the complete edition? Can it be downloaded?

Thanks!

I looked to see if it could be bought online, but it appears to be out of print. I would sell you mine, but I like it too much.
If you go on http://redriverclimbing.com you could ask to see if anyone on there has one they would be willing to sell. There is also a detailed and comprehensive guidebook on that website.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook