Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camelback 3 pitch sport climb?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

K-Tanz

Jan 21, 2010, 9:02 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3765 views)
Shortcut

Camelback 3 pitch sport climb?  (North_America: United_States: Arizona)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was playing around at camelback a few weeks ago and ran into two climbers who told me that there is a three pitch fully bolted sport climb somewhere in the park . Apparently they were not talking about "Donnamatrix", but I can't for the life of me find this climb they described. Does anyone know of such a route?

sonso45

Jan 22, 2010, 2:07 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [K-Tanz] Camelback 3 pitch sport climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's called Spice Box. But, the first and last pitch can barely be called a pitch. Short.

The good thing is, you can climb to the top of Spice Box and continue for a full value day by doing Hard Times, an old bolted face climb (bolted prior to existence of sport climbing).

climbingaz

Jan 22, 2010, 6:38 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Camelback 3 pitch sport climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you decide to do either, I'd wait a week or so until the rock (or should I say DRIED MUD) is thoroughly dry. Had a friend break both ankles on Hard Times a few years back when a hand hold busted loose.

K-Tanz

Jan 22, 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaz] Camelback 3 pitch sport climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I will most definitely be climbing no conglomerate after all this rain, haha I enjoy walking too much. What wall is this on or what is the best way to find the line? Also, is the top older bolted part solid or are the bolts not to be trusted?

climbingaz

Jan 23, 2010, 5:31 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [K-Tanz] Camelback 3 pitch sport climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

K-Tanz wrote:
I will most definitely be climbing no conglomerate after all this rain, haha I enjoy walking too much. What wall is this on or what is the best way to find the line? Also, is the top older bolted part solid or are the bolts not to be trusted?

Manny could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Spice Box is on the same wall we call the "headwall" used to gain the upper terrace to go to the Monk, etc. It's further in the canyon to the right of the headwall approach route.

Hard Times is an old school route that goes up the middle of the big face right of the Heart Route. I don't recall there being an issue with the bolts, but it certainly isn't a route you wanna be taking whippers on (a little runout and less than vertical).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook