Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rockdoc

Jan 25, 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #1 of 8 (4639 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots  (South_and_Central_America: Costa_Rica)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife and I will be traveling to Costa Rica in late April/early May; we were hoping for some decent bouldering or sport climbing during our stay, but I have yet to find any solid info on the area. This is by no means a "climbing-only trip" so we aren't looking to fill our entire visit at the various crags. Are there any locals with some trip beta or past visitors with helpful tips?

Thanks

shimanilami

Jan 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockdoc] Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Costa Rica is not a climbing destination. It is a place for getting naked and having sex outdoors. For these things, it's really great. For climbing, it is not.

My advice to you is to leave your climbing aspirations and gear behind. Tell your wife that you really just want to spend time with her, talking, hanging out on the beach, watching the sun set, picking flowers ... blah, blah, blah.

You'll get so laid. And when you get home, she's likely to say, "You were so wonderful to take me on a non-climbing vacation. To show my thanks, I want you to spend this summer dirtbagging in the Valley. I'll come on weekends to bring you food, alcohol, clean clothes, and this tight, eager body for you to enjoy ..."

Good luck.

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Jan 25, 2010, 12:30 PM)

johnwesely

Jan 25, 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Costa Rica is not a climbing destination. It is a place for getting naked and having sex outdoors. For these things, it's really great. For climbing, it is not.

My advice to you is to leave your climbing aspirations and gear behind. Tell your wife that you really just want to spend time with her, talking, hanging out on the beach, watching the sun set, picking flowers ... blah, blah, blah.

You'll get so laid. And when you get home, she's likely to say, "You were so wonderful to take me on a non-climbing vacation. To show my thanks, I want you to spend this summer dirtbagging in the Valley. I'll come on weekends to bring you food, alcohol, clean clothes, and this tight, eager body for you to enjoy ..."

Good luck.

5 Stars

potreroed

Jan 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockdoc] Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is actually some climbing in Costa Rica -- there have been Costa Rican climbers visiting El Potrerro Chico the past couple of years, and those boys pull down hard. I'll get some contact info and pm it to you.

shimanilami

Jan 25, 2010, 1:01 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In all seriousness, my wife and I eloped to Costa Rica. After a month of wedding planning (which was staged for the Valley, no less), we got so fed up that we decided to bail. It was one of the best decisions we've ever made.

A great bonus was that the marriage paperwork never came from the Costa Rican government. We had to get married again. And this time, we did do it in the Valley ... about 1200' above the Awhanee off the Royal Arches route, with my climbing partner as minister and some dude named Joe as our photographer and witness. (If you're out there, Joe, PM me. I still owe you.)

bobcr65

Jun 3, 2010, 3:46 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just ask locals, it's not that hard to do and plenty of people have managed just fine and gone back home with plenty of routes under their belt.

Climbing here is by no means mainstream but the little established routes and boulders are definetley really good and established climbers have confirmed this. Sorry if it didn't meet your expectations, but this is a destination not meant for the average tourist.

Anyone interested in climbing here can visit the local climbing gym Mundo Aventura or contact the costarican climbing federation FECODEM.

Clint_R

Jun 27, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bobcr65] Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi all, I'm an Aussie traveling through Costa Rica in August. While I have read the posts above, I'll have my climbing gear with me and no wife to have copious amounts of sex with outdoors. Anyone interested in showing me some of the crags?

Thanks!

bobcr65

Jun 27, 2010, 7:39 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Clint_R] Bouldering/Sport Climbing hot spots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man, I'll be happy to show you around. Sendme an email when you're here bobcr65@hotmail.com and we can make plans.

Talk to you soon!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook