Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
malibu creek approach
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

agdavis

Jan 26, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3843 views)
Shortcut

malibu creek approach  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Malibu_Creek_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone enlighten me on what the approach is like?

Thanks.

dugl33

Jan 26, 2010, 4:39 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] malibu creek approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agdavis wrote:
Can someone enlighten me on what the approach is like?

Thanks.

The hike in is fairly trivial, I guess about a twenty minute walk on fairly flat ground. You have one or two mandatory rock traverses to continue on. For the first one cross over the stream before getting to the big pools (left side as you head up canyon).

Here the first rock traverse starts. Its not bad if you have any climbing skills at all, although you might want climbing shoes on at least the first time across. There is a bit of a step across at the end of the first traverse.

Higher on, big boulders choke the canyon. Easy, but be careful.

To continue on, you have another traverse to do. This one is harder than the first, and gave me some pause with a pack on, although you find good positive pockets as you go. The footholds are probably not as good with high water. If you blow it you're going to fall in the pool -- good to know how to swim.

Not sure if recent rains have changed anything, but that's my recolection from just before christmas.

Edit to add: no traverses are required to get to planet of the apes wall.

(This post was edited by dugl33 on Jan 26, 2010, 4:42 AM)

climbryn

Jan 26, 2010, 6:38 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] malibu creek approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the guide book has two options one that is free parking and one that is paid, pay for parking it make the hike really short.

dugl33

Jan 26, 2010, 6:52 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbryn] malibu creek approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbryn wrote:
I think the guide book has two options one that is free parking and one that is paid, pay for parking it make the hike really short.

I think the pay parking is a whopping $12 these days, which seems downright abusive...

Unsure

Partner baja_java

Jan 26, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3765 views)
Shortcut

Re: malibu creek approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, pay for the parking inside the park. very definitely shorter. i've seen people collapse on the much longer approach from the free parking, esp in the hot heat of summer, dying needlessly, for being too cheap. there're also rattlesnakes hiding in the tall grass to either side of the Grassland Trail, just waiting to strike. dangerous. more needless dying. and and and, on the way back out that way, you'd also have to surmount this huge, steep hill. many would come rolling back down exhausted, layered in dirt, wrapped in coils of rattlesnakes. dead bodies everywhere, going that way. don't. only tragedy awaits

and of course, the more people park inside the park, the less crowded it'd be along Mulholland for the rest of us

hope that helps

dugl33

Jan 26, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] malibu creek approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

baja_java wrote:
yes, pay for the parking inside the park. very definitely shorter. i've seen people collapse on the much longer approach from the free parking, esp in the hot heat of summer, dying needlessly, for being too cheap. there're also rattlesnakes hiding in the tall grass to either side of the Grassland Trail, just waiting to strike. dangerous. more needless dying. and and and, on the way back out that way, you'd also have to surmount this huge, steep hill. many would come rolling back down exhausted, layered in dirt, wrapped in coils of rattlesnakes. dead bodies everywhere, going that way. don't. only tragedy awaits

and of course, the more people park inside the park, the less crowded it'd be along Mulholland for the rest of us

hope that helps

You didn't even mention the legions of black legged ticks and the resulting extremely high incidence of lyme disease...Tongue

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 28, 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] malibu creek approach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was chased by a pack of Manbearpig last time I used the free parking. Last time I'll do that.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook