Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Malibu Creek Sport Climbing After Rain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

trixtah

Jan 26, 2010, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2198 views)
Shortcut

Malibu Creek Sport Climbing After Rain  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Malibu_Creek_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I scoured the forums and didn't find a definitive answer. I'm wondering if there's a general rule against climbing here after the rain - I know it's going to rain on Saturday and I'm looking to do some sport on Sunday. I've seen holds break almost every time I've been here, and that's on dry days!

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 27, 2010, 4:08 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trixtah] Malibu Creek Sport Climbing After Rain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

With the recent low temps and high rain (all relative, I don't want to hear it from anyone in Chicago), I wouldn't bank on it. It's not the holds I worry about as the wet. Malibu is full of huecos, which are full of water. The river must be over-flowing right now. And most the walls, except Planet of the Apes, don't get a lot of sun in the summer, so it takes awhile to dry out. I've been there the day after rain and gotten by, but it's usually cold and kind of crappy. Maybe dick around on PotA in the morning and move to Gorgeous in the afternoon? The Century Lake area may be a bit more hospitable but the main wall will be dank.

dugl33

Jan 27, 2010, 4:18 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trixtah] Malibu Creek Sport Climbing After Rain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trixtah wrote:
Hi, I scoured the forums and didn't find a definitive answer. I'm wondering if there's a general rule against climbing here after the rain - I know it's going to rain on Saturday and I'm looking to do some sport on Sunday. I've seen holds break almost every time I've been here, and that's on dry days!

You and I must be looking at different forecasts -- I'm not seeing rain called for Saturday.

Conservative rule of thumb is one sunny day per rainy day. So 3 days of rain, let 3 sunny days go by. On granite I've gotten back on the rock within hours after the rain if full sun hits, but soft rock requires more care. And the point about the pockets being full of water seems about right. Three sunny days will have gone by once Saturday rolls around -- I bet it will be ok at least in a few areas, certainly anywhere that gets full sun.

trixtah

Jan 27, 2010, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Malibu Creek Sport Climbing After Rain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, two days ago it forecasted rain, now no longer, but thanks for replies, good information to know!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$4.05 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook