Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All


lukebrown607


Jan 28, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #1 of 90 (9879 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Posts: 10

Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bought the Reverso3, but i like the ATC guide better. What do you guys think?


acorneau


Jan 28, 2010, 7:04 PM
Post #2 of 90 (9866 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

lukebrown607 wrote:
I bought the Reverso3, but i like the ATC guide better. What do you guys think?


I think my girlfriend is hot, chicken isn't as tasty as beef, and that you are a silly man.


irregularpanda


Jan 28, 2010, 7:32 PM
Post #3 of 90 (9847 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lukebrown607 wrote:
I bought the Reverso3, but i like the ATC guide better. What do you guys think?

I think that yellow is a nice color, and I think my truck needs a camper shell, but not as badly as I need a real job.


meanandugly


Jan 28, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #4 of 90 (9847 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Posts: 312

Re: [acorneau] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I agree tha beef is tastier, but chicken is easier flavoured. Silly man yes. Don't know about your girlfriend...send a pic.


rschap


Jan 28, 2010, 7:35 PM
Post #5 of 90 (9846 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 590

Re: [acorneau] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Iím disappointed with both. I hate this new trend of putting teeth on belay devices and wish they would come out with an option that didnít have them in a reverso type device.


lukebrown607


Jan 28, 2010, 7:40 PM
Post #6 of 90 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Posts: 10

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have found the teeth to make no difference. the anodizing on the reverso3 makes the device extra slippery, especially on newer ropes. I do notice that when belaying a second, the BD version and the reverso when clipped in to the anchor are oriented perpendicular to each other, not sure which is better, since I only have the one. I prefer chicken ramen noodles over the beef.


moose_droppings


Jan 28, 2010, 7:40 PM
Post #7 of 90 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3348

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lukebrown607 wrote:
I bought the Reverso3, but i like the ATC guide better. What do you guys think?

I think you ought to send the Reverso3 to me.
Problem solved.


lukebrown607


Jan 28, 2010, 7:44 PM
Post #8 of 90 (9834 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Posts: 10

Re: [moose_droppings] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sounds good, one condition, you send me a brand new BD ATC Guide. I'll send you my used reverso


rschap


Jan 28, 2010, 7:50 PM
Post #9 of 90 (9827 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 590

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

lukebrown607 wrote:
I have found the teeth to make no difference. the anodizing on the reverso3 makes the device extra slippery, especially on newer ropes. I do notice that when belaying a second, the BD version and the reverso when clipped in to the anchor are oriented perpendicular to each other, not sure which is better, since I only have the one. I prefer chicken ramen noodles over the beef.



My wife is way too light, I have to feed the rope when I lower her or other lighter people. I have purposely avoided devices with teeth for this reason, itís completely unnecessary unless you have no grip strength or a limp wrist. I even went out and bought the fattest locker I could find to make it run smoother and it helped but not enough. If you want or need teeth fine I just wish there was an option without.


scottek67


Jan 28, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #10 of 90 (9816 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2008
Posts: 515

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

why not turn the device around?


rschap


Jan 28, 2010, 7:56 PM
Post #11 of 90 (9814 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 590

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I used the original reverso for years and liked the orientation and decided on the ATC guide because of that.


rschap


Jan 28, 2010, 7:57 PM
Post #12 of 90 (9812 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 590

Re: [scottek67] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
why not turn the device around?


Is that a serious question?


scottek67


Jan 28, 2010, 8:02 PM
Post #13 of 90 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2008
Posts: 515

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yes. here check out the third small pic.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...lay-rappel/atc-guide
I just found this...third pic is what I meant.



(This post was edited by scottek67 on Feb 1, 2010, 12:06 AM)


lukebrown607


Jan 28, 2010, 8:05 PM
Post #14 of 90 (9796 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Posts: 10

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

why don't i just turn around, or just turn my head, and leave the device as is, or bring a mirror, and look only at my belay device through that


rschap


Jan 28, 2010, 8:20 PM
Post #15 of 90 (9788 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 590

Re: [scottek67] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
yes. here check out the third small pic.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...lay-rappel/atc-guide

Oh I see what youíre saying. Yeah I could do that for regular belay but I also donít like the amount of friction in the autoblock mode. Maybe Iím just bitching about something that doesnít matter but personally I really donít like it and would rather think about other things like eating or enjoying the scenery then fighting with my belay device when Iím three four pitches up. Iíve only used it in autoblock mode a couple of times so far and really donít like the resistance compared to my original reverso but thatís too worn out now and I donít think they sell them anymore. Maybe Iíll just make my own (donít tell my wife I just said that, I told her today I wanted to make my own skis, sheís ok with the craziness so far but I donít want to push it).


rschap


Jan 28, 2010, 8:21 PM
Post #16 of 90 (9786 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 590

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lukebrown607 wrote:
why don't i just turn around, or just turn my head, and leave the device as is, or bring a mirror, and look only at my belay device through that

I think he was referring to my comment about lowering and too much friction with the teeth.


(This post was edited by rschap on Jan 28, 2010, 8:25 PM)


moose_droppings


Jan 28, 2010, 8:47 PM
Post #17 of 90 (9772 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3348

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lukebrown607 wrote:
sounds good, one condition, you send me a brand new BD ATC Guide. I'll send you my used reverso

But I like my BD guide and you don't like your Reverso3.
Tongue


shockabuku


Jan 29, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #18 of 90 (9697 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4856

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What about the Kong Ghost or Trango B-52?




granite_grrl


Jan 29, 2010, 5:44 AM
Post #19 of 90 (9644 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14704

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
lukebrown607 wrote:
I have found the teeth to make no difference. the anodizing on the reverso3 makes the device extra slippery, especially on newer ropes. I do notice that when belaying a second, the BD version and the reverso when clipped in to the anchor are oriented perpendicular to each other, not sure which is better, since I only have the one. I prefer chicken ramen noodles over the beef.



My wife is way too light, I have to feed the rope when I lower her or other lighter people. I have purposely avoided devices with teeth for this reason, itís completely unnecessary unless you have no grip strength or a limp wrist. I even went out and bought the fattest locker I could find to make it run smoother and it helped but not enough. If you want or need teeth fine I just wish there was an option without.
So you're saying that you should be using it on the low friction side and your wife should use it on the high friction side?


granite_grrl


Jan 29, 2010, 5:47 AM
Post #20 of 90 (9643 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14704

Re: [rschap] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
scottek67 wrote:
yes. here check out the third small pic.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...lay-rappel/atc-guide

Oh I see what youíre saying. Yeah I could do that for regular belay but I also donít like the amount of friction in the autoblock mode. Maybe Iím just bitching about something that doesnít matter but personally I really donít like it and would rather think about other things like eating or enjoying the scenery then fighting with my belay device when Iím three four pitches up. Iíve only used it in autoblock mode a couple of times so far and really donít like the resistance compared to my original reverso but thatís too worn out now and I donít think they sell them anymore. Maybe Iíll just make my own (donít tell my wife I just said that, I told her today I wanted to make my own skis, sheís ok with the craziness so far but I donít want to push it).
Too much friction in auto-block mode? The whole point is that the rope won't move....it's blocked.

Perhaps just give the Guide to your wife and learn to use a munter.


dr_feelgood


Jan 29, 2010, 6:46 AM
Post #21 of 90 (9612 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25720

Re: [irregularpanda] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
lukebrown607 wrote:
I bought the Reverso3, but i like the ATC guide better. What do you guys think?

I think that yellow is a nice color, and I think my truck needs a camper shell, but not as badly as I need a real job.

I think that I love my camper shell on my truck, and if you get one, you won't need a real job because you won't need to pay rent as often. I think yellow is a colour for nancy boys and small children.


gmggg


Jan 29, 2010, 6:52 AM
Post #22 of 90 (9606 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 25, 2009
Posts: 2099

Re: [shockabuku] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
What about the Kong Ghost or Trango B-52?

You do realize that those are NOT made by black diamond or Petzl, right? I wouldn't feel safe on gear that you couldn't buy at REI.Wink


jakedatc


Jan 29, 2010, 7:37 AM
Post #23 of 90 (9591 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post




mrtristan


Jan 29, 2010, 8:15 AM
Post #24 of 90 (9569 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 21, 2002
Posts: 596

Re: [lukebrown607] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've used both and I think each has its own merits. When belaying the second in autoblock mode, you can clip a Petzl Spirit biner through the hole on the bottom of the Reverso if you need to and use that to lower out/give slack. The hole is there on the BD, but you have to tie cord to it to get a biner through.

It is hard to belay up two seconds using fat ropes with the Reverso. I've heard it's easier with the BD but haven't used it for that purpose so I don't know.


coolcat83


Jan 29, 2010, 8:39 AM
Post #25 of 90 (9504 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 27, 2007
Posts: 1006

Re: [mrtristan] Pezl Reverso3 or Black Diamond ATC Guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mrtristan wrote:
It is hard to belay up two seconds using fat ropes with the Reverso. I've heard it's easier with the BD but haven't used it for that purpose so I don't know.

yes, and it's easy enough to just loops a skinny sling or cord through the hole in the guide. if yu are lowering your second that much get a cinch (my favorite singe rope belay device after the guide) or a grigri

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.96 (10% off)
$4.46 (10% off)
$120.02 (10% off)
$80.06 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook