RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

Allanon124

Jan 26, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5738 views)
Shortcut

Gym Program Director, Need Advice.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have just been hired as the program director at our newly open gym. I do believe that most everything is taken care of, though I did think I might start a thread to see if anyone has any thoughts on what they would like to see at their gym or that works well at their gym that I might implement. Whether it be program or anything else. We are currently going to be running Beginner and Advanced Youth, Beginner Adult and Climbing Club. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Big changes come from little ideas...

acorneau

Jan 26, 2010, 9:50 PM
Post #2 of 14 (5716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Allanon124] Gym Program Director, Need Advice. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Allanon124 wrote:
I have just been hired as the program director at our newly open gym. I do believe that most everything is taken care of, though I did think I might start a thread to see if anyone has any thoughts on what they would like to see at their gym or that works well at their gym that I might implement. Whether it be program or anything else. We are currently going to be running Beginner and Advanced Youth, Beginner Adult and Climbing Club. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Big changes come from little ideas...

Lots of good info and ideas here:
http://www.routesetter.com/

jawon

Jan 27, 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I doubt this is practical, but since you're asking...

Can we please have a gym with some kind of daycare?! I've been frequenting climbing gyms for 15 yrs, but now have 3 little kids under 5 yrs old. I've pretty much dropped out of the climbing scene, not for lack of interest, but lack of childcare!

It'd be cool to have a drop off like in health clubs or Ikea, while I get in some routes. Yeah, I could drop kids off with relatives or friends, but that's not an option for lots of parents.

Yes, it was my choice to have kids, but hey, throw me a bone. All you young guns may be thanking me for this post once your family starts! Wink

jawon

Jan 27, 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another post on this forum about cracks in competitions reminded me that it'd be neat if gyms had more cracks.

I'm building a home wall and plan to put in a pretty simple system that will allow me to change crack width and even features inside the crack. Why can't gyms do that?!

Partner epoch

Jan 27, 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #5 of 14 (5662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allanon124 wrote:

Good resource here: http://climbingwallindustry.org/

Allanon124

Jan 27, 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #6 of 14 (5659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jawon] Gym Program Director, Need Advice. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quite a few gyms have cracks. I hope your adjustable design goes well. I was going to add one to my personal woody in the barn but never got around to it. Plus, our gym is finished being built.

shockabuku

Jan 27, 2010, 1:29 AM
Post #7 of 14 (5625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jawon wrote:

Can we please have a gym with some kind of daycare?! I've been frequenting climbing gyms for 15 yrs, but now have 3 little kids under 5 yrs old. I've pretty much dropped out of the climbing scene, not for lack of interest, but lack of childcare!

It'd be cool to have a drop off like in health clubs or Ikea, while I get in some routes. Yeah, I could drop kids off with relatives or friends, but that's not an option for lots of parents.

Yes, it was my choice to have kids, but hey, throw me a bone. All you young guns may be thanking me for this post once your family starts! Wink

Movement, the new gym in Boulder, has child care.

johnwesely

Jan 27, 2010, 1:30 AM
Post #8 of 14 (5622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allanon124 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Big changes come from little ideas...

Even a peon like me could have a little idea one day.

djlachelt

Jan 27, 2010, 3:47 AM
Post #9 of 14 (5595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should look at the Adult Climbing League that runs at The Rock Club, in New Rochelle, New York. They alternate between that and a Bouldering Circuit League.

http://climbrockclub.com/adult-programs/

bill413

Jan 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #10 of 14 (5530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Gym Program Director, Need Advice. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know if you'll be routesetting, but I think it's good to have a slow but steady turnover in routes.

Training seminars/workshops/classes focusing on specific aspects could draw in folks who aren't up for clubs, etc., but would still like to learn.

matterunomama

Jan 30, 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #11 of 14 (5475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jawon wrote:

TRC gym in New Rochelle has childcare, if you call ahead, shared with the New Rochelle Raquet club that it is physically attached to and shares some facilities with; its a small room for small children . It doesn't seem to be used much, but parents witn slightly older kids come and swap off while one parent climbs with the kids in the small children's climbing room or their kids chill on the mezzanine (which is couches chairs tablesand TV, kids are not under the climbing walls)

minorclimber

Jan 30, 2010, 1:27 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recomend a climbing team that meets atleast twice a week. My local gym has one, and it is a lifesaver. The days that I climb there are without a doubt the best days of my week.
And I would recomend an intermediate level also. i climb about 5.10 and boulder around V3. So I either climb with kids that are working on 5.7's, or I could go climb with 2 kids who climb 5.12c and boulder V8.
so yeah, Im stuck in the middle.

kletter1mann

Feb 3, 2010, 3:25 AM
Post #13 of 14 (5361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the risk of repetition, check out TRC's website in detail http://www.climbrockclub.com. I'm can't be 100% sure, but I'm fairly confident that TRC has more climbing programs than any single gym in the country. Look at our website carefully and follow the links - Meetup groups, teams, kids, etc. I can tell you that all this stuff works and they're all popular. We wouldn't do them if they weren't great business.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook