Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Flagstaff visit
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mckinley

Feb 1, 2010, 5:08 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2792 views)
Shortcut

Flagstaff visit  (North_America: United_States: Arizona)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all, my GF and I are coming in to Flag for 3 days in late Feb. from NC to check out NAU (she applied to grad school there). I've been checking out the different climbing areas on this site, but I'd love to get some insider input. If you had 3 days to climb in Flag, where would you go? We're looking for the typical stuff: V2-V6 bouldering, and good sport and trad in the moderate range. We're thinking of hitting the usual suspects: Jack's canyon one day, Kelly canyon, the Pit and Priest Draw. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something killer that should be on the list. Thanks for any ideas!

mistajman

Feb 1, 2010, 5:21 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mckinley] Flagstaff visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It all depends on the weather, and what your more into. If the weather is good go to paradise forks, it is rad. Kelly canyon is gorgeous also. The pit is a pretty average sport area, but is fun. Sedona might also be a good option. I'd be happy to show you all around if your interested. Granite mountain in prescott similar quality granite to looking glass rock, but is closed this time of year for falcon nesting.

Also look on mountainproject.com for much better pictures and info about the flag area.

(This post was edited by mistajman on Feb 1, 2010, 5:23 PM)

mckinley

Feb 1, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mistajman] Flagstaff visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check out mountainproject.com to look a other pics. It seems like most of the stuff in Paradise Forks may be a bit beyond what my girlfriend is climbing right now...:) Keeping fingers crossed on the weather.

sidepull

Feb 1, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd recommend against going to Kelly at that time of year. The rock at Kelly is gorgeous and some of the lines, in terms of aesthetics, vie for the best in the state. That said, Kelly doesn't have boulders, it's actually exposed sandstone at the bottom of a very large ravine. This means that a lot of dirt gets washed onto the problems by precipitation each year (read: during the winter). So the problems can get really dirty and the topouts can be really bad. All of this is weather dependent, but given the short amount of time you'll be there, I don't think it's going to be the biggest bang for your buck. That said, if bouldering is your thing and it's been fairly dry before you arrive, then Kelly is a worthwhile addition to your itinerary. Good luck!

mckinley

Feb 1, 2010, 8:49 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Flagstaff visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great, sounds like good advice if the weather's been iffy. We may just take a walk around Kelly so we know what to look forward to if she gets accepted... I'm getting a bit old and beat up for bouldering (30 and injuries in both shoulders) but it's still my thing. :) Thanks!

crankmas

Feb 1, 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take the drive down to Sedona at least for some hiking the popular trails and the Anvil Boulders are fine place to kill an afternoon as well

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook