RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Dec 7, 2009, 5:17 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Wanted Avalanche Beacons
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for some avalanche beacons (4-8) for training purposes.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Sep 30, 2013, 6:54 PM)

sungam

Dec 7, 2009, 5:53 AM
Post #2 of 10 (3182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Wanted Avalanche Beacons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
What a sad image. You can clearly see they're digging someone out, but the lack of urgency, the shovels stuck in the snow, the onlooker leaning on his shovel - you know it's too late.

majid_sabet

Dec 7, 2009, 6:03 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Wanted Avalanche Beacons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
[IMG]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9218/img0668.jpg[/IMG]
What a sad image. You can clearly see they're digging someone out, but the lack of urgency, the shovels stuck in the snow, the onlooker leaning on his shovel - you know it's too late.

Talk about sadness cause I always get the freaking news first hands with images no one else get to see . Anyway, I bought them 10 new shovels to take over there and still need the avi beacons.

Last thing I want to see is 10 searches been killed by an avalanche .

hafilax

Dec 7, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best deals will be on craigslist or ebay. I think the best retail deal might be at:
http://www.avalanche-center.org/store/
but you have to become a member for the discount. Could be worth it and all proceeds go to the CSAC.

Rudmin

Dec 7, 2009, 4:22 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Wanted Avalanche Beacons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Spadout is your friend.
http://www.spadout.com/c/transceivers/

DTS trackers as low as $230 probably the best retail price you will find.

jmeizis

Dec 7, 2009, 4:41 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried asking the companies that make avi beacons, or some guiding companies that do avi training, if you they would give you some?

Sending avi beacons to less fortunate people in other countries seems like good public relations on their part. They might be happy to help. Other than that I can't help you.

I can't even afford an avi beacon, thus severely limiting what I can climb in winter but I also feel like the avi-training is more important than the beacon. It's kind of a chicken or the egg argument but it you can recognize the terrain you can stay out of it. Also having the beacon can give a false sense of security, raising the chances one will go into avalanche prone terrain.

AvalancheCenter

Dec 8, 2009, 7:49 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Wanted Avalanche Beacons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
The best deals will be on craigslist or ebay. I think the best retail deal might be at:
http://www.avalanche-center.org/store/
but you have to become a member for the discount. Could be worth it and all proceeds go to the CSAC.

Actually you don't necessarily need to be a member for discounts. Members always get an automatic discount on their entire cart, but we will match anyone elses price whether you are a member or not. Just let us know what price you get elsewhere and we will match the discount.

We also make deals on quantities, let us know how many you need and we'll give you a quote.

If you're not a member when you purchase then you get a membership with your purchase.

In a case like this we will try to make a very good deal in order to help. Contact us at store@csac.org

EBay can be a good place, but it may be hard to get a quantity at a good price. We auction one beacon at a time and they go cheap, but we aren't selling any quantity that way. Some places that do include shovels and/or probes rather than discount the beacon price.

We also have training resources that may be of assistance here.

Jim

BeL1Eve

Dec 8, 2009, 5:08 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Wanted Avalanche Beacons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
I can't even afford an avi beacon, thus severely limiting what I can climb in winter but I also feel like the avi-training is more important than the beacon. It's kind of a chicken or the egg argument but it you can recognize the terrain you can stay out of it. Also having the beacon can give a false sense of security, raising the chances one will go into avalanche prone terrain.

That's kind of like saying if you wear a safety belt you're more prone to drive dangerously, or if someone wears body armor they are much more likely to take risks in a firefight.

Unfortunately neither of these are true. Having an avi beacon is just one more thing that might save your ass if you end up on the wrong side of the snow.

On some mountains, if you don't have an avi beacon and you need a rescue, they make you pay for the rescue expenses. That is of course, assuming they find you before you assume room temperature.

Majid, I love reading your I&A threads. It's one of the reasons I came out of my lurking and started posting here.

I'd try contacting Mazumas here in Oregon. or similar organizations that teach SAR techniques to local Fire and EMS. They might be able to help you out.

I wish I wasn't a lowly public servant, or I'd pony up and buy one to send to the team you're working with.

Good luck with your search! (Pun intended) Sly

majid_sabet

Jan 1, 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoever send me an email about the avalanche probes today,I want those unwanted probes but your email accidentally got deleted in the junk mail and I could not respond.

Could you email me directly.

Thanks again

noorkota@hotmail.com

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jan 1, 2010, 12:45 AM)

majid_sabet

Feb 5, 2010, 7:30 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got off the phone with a friend in Iran who said yesterday, a group of 17 climbers got hit by an avalanche, two survived, 2 are confirmed dead and 6 climbers are missing under 2 km long avalanche.A friend with 30 years of professional climbing and teaching experience was also killed.

I am very devastated

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook