Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

brokesomeribs

Feb 6, 2010, 3:33 PM
Post #1 of 32 (16003 views)
Shortcut

Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kelly Cordes, one of the top alpinists climbing today, suffered a heinous Pilon-fracture of his right ankle last week in Hyalite Canyon. I haven't found out exactly how it happened, but apparently, it was NOT while climbing - possibly while hiking back out.

For more info, see his blog post: http://kellycordes.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/bad-breaks/

Rudmin

Feb 6, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #2 of 32 (15967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to know I'm in good company

Partner j_ung

Feb 6, 2010, 5:08 PM
Post #3 of 32 (15943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

Considering how the last year and half has gone for alpinism, thank goodness he isn't dead.

flamer

Feb 6, 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #4 of 32 (15842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Considering how the last year and half has gone for alpinism, thank goodness he isn't dead.

While I understand what you mean, I'd appreciate it if you remove or edit this post.
Last year was a very bad year for alpinists, as you stated. Alot of it is still very raw for alot of folks.
Kelly lost some very dear friends.
Kelly is a very dear friend of mine and even saying you're glad he's not dead is upsetting to read.

Thanks.

josh

onrockandice

Feb 6, 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #5 of 32 (15812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
I'd appreciate it if you remove or edit this post... and even saying you're glad he's not dead is upsetting to read.

josh

Really? Really? That seems pretty small to me and given what has gone on in the last year ... having known a few of the people who are now no longer with us... I want you to edit your post. I don't think it's right for you to ask someone to edit a post that I relate to and well ... I'm upset now by the pettiness.

flamer

Feb 7, 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #6 of 32 (15799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
flamer wrote:
I'd appreciate it if you remove or edit this post... and even saying you're glad he's not dead is upsetting to read.

josh

Really? Really? That seems pretty small to me and given what has gone on in the last year ... having known a few of the people who are now no longer with us... I want you to edit your post. I don't think it's right for you to ask someone to edit a post that I relate to and well ... I'm upset now by the pettiness.

Seriously?
You move around what I said to quote it and then act like what I said was a problem?
I wasn't even remotely being a jerk when addressing teh OG poster, a mere request, done with the utmost respect. And you want to be a douche bag about it?
I knew some of them. It was a big emotional blow, this last year.
To the point that even the mention of a dear friends name and death(especially as it all relates to climbing) in the same sentence strikes a chord.
That's petty? Really?Really?
Not wanting to even consider a friends death is petty?

It's probably a good thing you have the internet to hide behind right now.

josh

flamer

Feb 7, 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #7 of 32 (15795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

ONROCKANDICE wrote:
"I started climbing and let me tell you. It is the best decision I have ever made. There will not ever be another decision that tops the decision to get outdoors and pull real rock with good friends, family and total strangers that before long would become good friends. There was climbing, there was eating and drinking and there was an excitement to life all over again. The air was different. The heat on a scorching face climb was intense and more invigorating. The ice on a pumpy waterfall climb made the cold seem more refreshing.

Climbing has improved every other part of my life ten-fold because I'm now just a lot more at peace with who I am. I'm a gumby climber but I love it. I'll get better in time and I'm looking forward to years and years and years on rock and ice hanging with friends, family and strangers. "

Forget it now it all makes sense......yeah you "knew" some of them.
Classic RC.com noobie idiot.

josh

onrockandice

Feb 7, 2010, 4:33 AM
Post #8 of 32 (15725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grin. You're funny. I am not going to say much. This is a heavily moderated thread and they ask people to behave. You have a nice day and yes, people die. It happens.

Climb!

kobaz

Feb 7, 2010, 5:17 AM
Post #9 of 32 (15708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
Forget it now it all makes sense......yeah you "knew" some of them.
Classic RC.com noobie idiot.

One's climbing ability has nothing to do with who they have met, gone to slideshows to see, and are friends with. I got to meet some really great climbers, and good people very early on in my climbing career. I wouldn't go calling people idiots about now, especially in i&a.

areyoumydude

Feb 7, 2010, 6:30 AM
Post #10 of 32 (15685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://kellycordes.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/bad-breaks/

Man that sucks. Good luck Kelly. It'll be tough but you're pretty bad ass. The monkeys will send!

Partner j_ung

Feb 7, 2010, 3:07 PM
Post #11 of 32 (15606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

Obviously, this requires a bit of clarification. Had I my first post to re-write, I probably would have worded it differently.

Over the last 18 or so months, I have been repeatedly shocked and saddened by losses of several big-name climbers, some of them acquaintances of mine, more of them close friends of close friends of mine. All I meant by my above statement was that I'm glad Kelly Cordes is not among them. While I'm not exactly thrilled and elated to hear of such an injury, I think we're all pretty aware after the last year+ that things could be much worse.

Kelly, if you read this, I hope you understand that my thoughts for you are entirely positive and encouraging. I'm sure you'll do what you need to do and then get right back on the horse!

(This post was edited by j_ung on Feb 7, 2010, 3:12 PM)

Partner j_ung

Feb 7, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #12 of 32 (15588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flamer, thank you for your kind PM to me. I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies for any distress.

fxgranite

Feb 7, 2010, 3:25 PM
Post #13 of 32 (15585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is the most positive injury blog I've ever read. I hope he can keep that energy up throughout the recovery. It explains a lot about the man reading that post.

Best wishes Kelly

flamer

Feb 7, 2010, 5:59 PM
Post #14 of 32 (15534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Flamer, thank you for your kind PM to me. I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies for any distress.

Jay....No worries.
I understood what you meant in the first place....it just really hit me funny the way it sounded.
I probably should have just PMed you in the first place.
I don't post much around here anymore.....sometimes I forget why, But I've been reminded in this thread.
You're a class act jay. Thankyou.

josh

Partner j_ung

Feb 7, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #15 of 32 (15495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
You're a class act jay. Thankyou.

Same to you, Josh. Stay safe.

onrockandice

Feb 7, 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #16 of 32 (15487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
I don't post much around here anymore.....sometimes I forget why, But I've been reminded in this thread.
josh

You know what? You did one thing right and one thing wrong. You took something between you and the poster and made it public (Wrong!) you also sent a PM (Right!). Do not blame a community that tries to moderate and suppress a lot of the "me centered" crap that happens here. A lot of it is rubbish.

Obviously you had more substance in your PM conversation which is great and in my opinion the whole thread shows why the community works. This is a good community. I don't regret at all what I said. I wasn't rude (your reply to me was) I just simply pointed out that from what was visible your post seemed all about you and none at all about Kelly. You must have said and done something right in your PM though which is great. Nice job!

This community works. Perhaps you have lost touch with it. Give it a chance and don't just judge it on one thread. That would be like having a bad day climbing and deciding climbing sucks. You would have made a big mistake.

Slow down a bit. Life is not about the extremes it's about the averages. The extremes can be great or very inconvenient and sometimes that isn't known until years later.

There are good people here and there are trash heaps here. Give it a chance. Get a good stance, on some clean lines and look around. Sure it may not be what you saw when you were last here and it might even be better. You won't know unless you spend enough time here to meet some of the new faces.

I think (having read Kelly's blog) he'd probably back me up. Besides if you know Kelly and are close to him then you can help keep the rest of us up to date with how he's doing in the event that his life/recovery keeps him busier than he might prefer.

Take care, and remember that friendship is what most of us want and not enemies. I'd belay you any time, I'd be your sherpa any time. We'd more than likely get along just fine. Single instances should never be used to define any experience.

Take care, be safe and AWESOME climbing to you. I hope you stick around and help us police the rats.

CLIMB!

flamer

Feb 8, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #17 of 32 (15362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHAHAHA.

Thanks for the "lessons".

josh

onrockandice

Feb 8, 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #18 of 32 (15276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
josh

-- Edited by me. Cheap. Low. Totally out of character. Wrong.
Hardly. It's called common sense which is funny especially in this case. Break a leg! I mean good luck!

I'm not deleting this. I said it I own it. I think people need to know what I said and that I feel I was wrong to say it. Deleting seems like I'm hiding something and I'm afraid to answer for my actions. I'm not it was wrong. I'm going to strike it through which I want people to see as me in all intents and purposes as making it right. I get frustrated when people delete something they were not big enough to own. I let some home financial frustration get me and I brought it here. I shouldn't have. So back on task.

In a way I like how this is going to end. I think people need to see that RC doesn't have to descend into heavily moderated flame-fests.

I was wrong to say what I said. I'm big enough to admit that and I think it validates my admission to leave it as it is. It was cheap and you know what seemed cheap was when I did it and hit submit I felt like it was a true insult to Kelly which is wrong. Climbers don't do that. I don't do that. I must have had a bad day and I really wish I could go off and say all that's going on. I can't and it doesn't matter.

Time to grow up and own it. I'm striking it through but I'm owning it.

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Feb 9, 2010, 5:41 AM)

climbs4fun

Feb 8, 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #19 of 32 (15267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
flamer wrote:
josh

Hardly. It's called common sense which is funny especially in this case. Break a leg! I mean good luck!

If this continues, the whole thread is going to the heap. I've been reluctant to hide posts or trash the thread,

Josh, I know you well enough to know you are showing exceptional restraint. Thank you.

onrockandice, there is no need for the last word, let it go.

altelis

Feb 8, 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #20 of 32 (15264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
onrockandice wrote:
flamer wrote:
josh

If this continues, the whole thread is going to the heap. I've been reluctant to hide posts or trash the thread,

Josh, I know you well enough to know you are showing exceptional restraint. Thank you.

onrockandice, there is no need for the last word, let it go.

Thanks for stepping in. This has become obnoxious and childish by, well, mainly by one.

onrockandice

Feb 9, 2010, 4:48 AM
Post #21 of 32 (15183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I'm the one then guilty I am. Totally sorry. I mean sorry to everyone that includes everyone. I knew I shouldn't have said it and I knew I shouldn't have done it. But I done it and I said it.

Thanks for the call back to sanity. Would it be proper for me to edit my posts or is it best to just let it be and let it stand as a lesson and that's it?

Sorry for being a jack-ass. Truly. I am letting some serious life stress come through here which is pretty dumb. It's supposed to be a fun message board and a respectful forum. Guess I'm being kind of thick on both...Unsure

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Feb 9, 2010, 4:51 AM)

altelis

Feb 9, 2010, 4:59 AM
Post #22 of 32 (15178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries. I for one wouldn't edit your posts, I think that the thread as a whole, including this last post, should be kept up as an example of what can be done wrong and what can be right (like your last post) in this forum. Those are only my two cents though, and we all know two cents ain't worth a damn no more.

climbs4fun

Feb 9, 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #23 of 32 (15169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
If I'm the one then guilty I am. Totally sorry. I mean sorry to everyone that includes everyone. I knew I shouldn't have said it and I knew I shouldn't have done it. But I done it and I said it.

Thanks for the call back to sanity. Would it be proper for me to edit my posts or is it best to just let it be and let it stand as a lesson and that's it?

Sorry for being a jack-ass. Truly. I am letting some serious life stress come through here which is pretty dumb. It's supposed to be a fun message board and a respectful forum. Guess I'm being kind of thick on both...Unsure

I personally think the last post is distasteful considering the original post, but I rarely ask anybody to edit. However, put yourself (as a fellow climber) in the position of being on the other end of that and then consider what you should do. Karma can be a real bitch.

onrockandice

Feb 9, 2010, 5:46 AM
Post #24 of 32 (15156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Kelly Cordes shatters ankle in Hyalite Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
onrockandice wrote:

I personally think the last post is distasteful considering the original post, but I rarely ask anybody to edit. However, put yourself (as a fellow climber) in the position of being on the other end of that and then consider what you should do. Karma can be a real bitch.

I think I've made it right and owned it. It's hard to do the right thing all the time and sometimes it's blurry. This time I think the right thing is done and it's done.

Kelly, if you see this at all I apologize for a comment that really is the cheapest of shots at you and your situation. If I was near you I'd think the only fair way to make it right would be to carry you on my back down to an establishment of your choice and buying your dinner and favorite beverage. I cannot do that but I want you to know that someday if I get the chance... I'm doing it. I'll pack you all the way and pay the tab too.

Sincerely,

JackAssForAMomentPirate

Hopefully I've made things right now.

dudemanbu

Feb 10, 2010, 3:59 AM
Post #25 of 32 (15038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
That's petty? Really?Really?
Not wanting to even consider a friends death is petty?

It's probably a good thing you have the internet to hide behind right now.

josh

Not wanting to even consider a friend's death in this sport is downright irresponsible. Every time you go out, you should consider it a possibility.

(This post was edited by dudemanbu on Feb 10, 2010, 4:00 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook