Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

kriso9tails

Dec 9, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #76 of 85 (3767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
Chainsaw?

No, that would be TWO Chainsaws. It is twice as hard as one Chainsaw. Because it is harder to use both chainsaws with straight arms to masacre comebody, and not sustain any damage.

Twice as hard? I found the trick to climbing Chainsaw Massacre was to be 5'10 and 115 lbs. At that time, two chainsaws would have been too much.

Now that my physique more closely resembles that bear, the situation may have reversed. My fat ass would die on that route, but I could slaughter those that gave me any flack over it all day long. Either way, my straight arm technique will involve wild, flailing motions at some point or another.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Dec 9, 2009, 4:42 PM)

skrabut

Dec 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #77 of 85 (3721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [s2w] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing with straight arms helps you pump less fast. Be careful though with climbing on you 'skeletal system' because it can damage the joints. I have had this injury myself, I try to climb now with my arms a little bended.

ceebo

Jan 6, 2010, 2:34 AM
Post #78 of 85 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skrabut] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skrabut wrote:
climbing with straight arms helps you pump less fast. Be careful though with climbing on you 'skeletal system' because it can damage the joints. I have had this injury myself, I try to climb now with my arms a little bended.

I wouldnt say it was down to keeping arms str8. I personaly got that problem only from doing overhangs and the best i could figure was becouse my arms/fingers got stronger and combind with the extra wieght your arms take on overhangs my joints just wasnt able enuf, ontop of over climbing aswell Angelic. I found trying to climb overhangs more sling shot dynamic style from a str8 arm position was much less taxing on my joints and i dont get alot of pain anymore.. unless its a horrible crimp style where sling shot isnt really doable Unsure bring the static pain Laugh

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jan 6, 2010, 2:37 AM)

sp00ki

Jan 6, 2010, 5:54 AM
Post #79 of 85 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [s2w] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

straight arms are for moving laterally, reaching way up high, shaking out, and clipping. anything else is a lie.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jan 6, 2010, 5:55 AM)

Grizvok

Feb 5, 2010, 5:55 PM
Post #80 of 85 (3536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a training activity when used correctly not some climbing principal. It is merely an activity to make you virtually unable to initiate movement in the arms to teach you to try and feel what initiating from the lower body feels like (and it really isn't a bad activity to try).

wannabe

Feb 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #81 of 85 (3477 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
Chainsaw?

[image]http://finickypenguin.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/2007-11-29-chainsaw-bear.jpg[/image]

No, that would be TWO Chainsaws. It is twice as hard as one Chainsaw. Because it is harder to use both chainsaws with straight arms to masacre comebody, and not sustain any damage.

Twice as hard? I found the trick to climbing Chainsaw Massacre was to be 5'10 and 115 lbs. At that time, two chainsaws would have been too much.

Now that my physique more closely resembles that bear, the situation may have reversed. My fat ass would die on that route, but I could slaughter those that gave me any flack over it all day long. Either way, my straight arm technique will involve wild, flailing motions at some point or another.

Good call...Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre (Original 5.8)
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/new_mexico/taos_area/questa_dome/106054152

stonefox

Feb 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #82 of 85 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lena, I think this is a great sequence to show how important foot work, pivoting and keeping your hips close to the wall is in climbing. I have read the entire post and was trying to figure out how to communicate what I wanted to say. After viewing your sequence it came to me. In my experiences straight arms are reserved for the arm holding the most body weight, the arm that just made a move and seems to be the furthest from the body in most cases. A bent arm is about to make the next move and is used more for balance and help with the technique portion of a move like pivoting or footwork.
Thanks for the great photos rockstar!

ceebo

Feb 12, 2010, 2:44 PM
Post #83 of 85 (3366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefox] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The easier the holds the more i tend to use str8 arms with dynamic slingshot moves powerd from the legs and prity much stay in the rest zone, hold positions can obviusly contridict that though.

The difficulty of the holds seems to hit a certain point where i find this style becomes invalid and steady static moves are needed to overcome contact and grip weakness (some moves ofc have no choice but a dynamic or dyno)

whats hard too me is easier to som1 else, so their personal rest zone is alot higher befor they have to start diging into their bag of bent arms and lock offs.

My uneducated opinion, as allways.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Feb 12, 2010, 2:47 PM)

mheyman

Feb 13, 2010, 8:23 PM
Post #84 of 85 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
If you were to time me climbing the route, and time how much of that interval I spent with straight arms, and how much I spent with bent arms, you would see that i have spent a LOT more time with straight arms than bent arms. Some of the rests I was hanging out at for couple minutes at a time-- and i can assure you that I was never just hanging out and chilling in the middle of a lock-off. I definitely spent more than 50% of the time on the route with my arms straight. I didn't make most of the MOVES with my arms ramrod-straight from start of the move to finish, but time-wise, since resting/clipping/shaking-out is all part of climbing the route, I was mostly straight-arms.

This is what people mean when they tell you to climb with straight arms. They DO NOT mean to say that you should make most moves with your elbows locked off straight, as you do when you are doing the SCC straight-arms exercise. They mean to say that whenever you are hanging/resting, you need to conciously relax into straight arms, if possible, and you need to think about initiating from the legs instead of pulling up with arms.

I agree with lena_chita but videos and pictures are not often good evidence of straight arm use. They are biased. Videos show movement - when the arms bend and rarely bother showing a climber hanging out for long. Pictures have the opposite bias. They more often show climbers in static positions when their arms are straight.

I tell people, do not pull in with your hands at your chest, hang on straight arms, initiate with your legs. But I demonstrate using straight arm moves letting them watch me rotate my boy all over the wall around straight arms and then end up making the move. Then they make a move or two and look at me as if I canít do that. Then I tell them you are going to bend your arms during the move. The climbers you teach this stuff to have a lot of learning to do. They arenít thinking about what anyone told them while they are moving. Then they are just trying to stay on the wall. When they canít do a move they remember and straighten their arms out then they relax, and finally really look around considering that move! This is a big step toward what LH is explaining in the video though though the way she explains and demonstrates it, it is more useful for climbers attempting more difficult moves.

Note that she uses another strong arm position, the lock-off over and over, and she uses it often with more strenuous body positions, positions that most beginners you tell to climb on straight arms arenít going to be making.

To specifically address the OP, I agree climbing on straight arms isnít something you do all the time. But, I think it is something climbers with good technique do more often than those without. As for the beginners, I think they are better off climbing on straight arms a bit too much rather than too little!

samlehman

Mar 30, 2010, 7:52 PM
Post #85 of 85 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bag11s] Straight arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bag11s wrote:
Just go to your local playground and watch a seven year old braciate back and forth on the monkey bars for ten minutes straight. Not many pull ups going on there.

Seven year olds go outside now a days?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook