Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Headed South
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mp5050

Feb 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #1 of 17 (4962 views)
Shortcut

Headed South  (South_and_Central_America: Belize)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I find it depressing that a country like Belize has 0 routes! Anyway, a buddy and me are headed that way driving down from Texas. We should depart around fall and be there by winter time (2010). With tons of karst features and little development I hope to be bolting a lot.

Anyone have ANY beta or interested in joining us down there for a little caving, diving, bolting, bushwhacking, dirtbagging...?

potreroed

Feb 14, 2010, 5:24 AM
Post #2 of 17 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mp5050] Headed South [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck finding anything that's really worthwhile down there. Enjoy the diving and snorkeling!

mp5050

Feb 14, 2010, 8:11 PM
Post #3 of 17 (4915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Headed South [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well there is always the option of just continuing south and seeing where it takes us. Btw, it this magic ed? My buddy leck from SA has been telling me some tall tales about a new spot under a bridge or something. Should have plenty of time to check it out on the way as we will both be funemployed and without schedule.

mclimber01

Jul 22, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #4 of 17 (4734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey If you are still planning on heading down to belize and wherever you go along the way I would love to join you. I was trying to plan a climbing/and whatever trip in Mexico/Central america but my climbing partner bailed. when are you thinking of leaving?

bay04riding

Aug 22, 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #5 of 17 (4636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I'm in Mexico now and thinking of heading to Belize later in the year, may have a place to stay etc there...anyone still going? keep me in the loop would love to do some climbing :) Jes

davva23

Nov 14, 2010, 7:56 AM
Post #6 of 17 (4448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there
Still planning your trip to Belize? I'm here for the winter and am keen to keep up with climbing. No sign of any climbing spots yet but I'm gonna keep looking. I'll keep you posted if you want.
Davva

anarkhos

Nov 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #7 of 17 (4393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davva23] Headed South [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys.

Someone in Belize wants me to visit this winter, so I'd appreciate any reports if you find anything.

Maybe some bouldering at least? I can't take a pad, but maybe I can make something. I was there once, but didn't see anything promising outside some ruins.

davva23

Nov 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #8 of 17 (4381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] Headed South [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey
All I've seen is limestone so far. I'll keep asking around though.
D

anarkhos

Nov 21, 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, nothing wrong with limestone!

I'm not planning on bringing my rotary hammer, but maybe I can boulder or top-rope something.

Hell, you may even find a crack. Laugh

I have a feeling things are undeveloped there due to the extremely laid-back culture. I mean, I remember it taking weeks for a lawyer to get off his ass and sign something. It's like a time warp. Even if you paid someone it could take a month to bolt a route Wink

I've also been wondering if there is anything in Guatemala close to the border. I think southern border is our best hope.

Regardless, have a blast!

thrasher1

Nov 22, 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #10 of 17 (4322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey please post back what all you find, with pictures if possible. I'm hoping to get down to Belize this winter and want to climb and will put up routes if someone finds a good area. The area that I may be traveling to is Placencia and it looks like the Maya Mountains are just inland a ways, biggest peak is Victoria Peak.
thanks
Larry

Partner j_ung

Nov 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #11 of 17 (4317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Funemployed!" Great word!

mburdick

Dec 18, 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #12 of 17 (4178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I'm thinking about going down in Feb so keep us posted on routes.. GPS cord would be great cause it may be hard to find locals who know anything.. Send pics. My buddy sent back images of rivers cut through limestone with lots of holds

davva23

Dec 26, 2010, 7:43 AM
Post #13 of 17 (4072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] Headed South [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aye,
It's VERY laid back.
I've not had a chance to explore outside the area I'm living and working in. My experience of climbing is mainly indoor gyms at the moment so spotting routes is well out of my league. I'm planning to go to Guatemala in Feb, so am just working on strength and flexibility until then (hopefully the technique will come back to me pretty quick)
Hope you have more success.
D

RopeGunPmac

Jan 10, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello to all wondering about climbing in Belize,

My Family owns a place in Hopkins, few miles south of Dangriga. I have been going down there for the past two years and have done some climbing and would love to let you all know about it.

First Victoria Peak: Haven't been there, went to jaguar reserve right across the street from Hopkins and hiked to the most scenic point and was able to see Victoria Peak. Talked to a local about getting there. THICK THICK jungle and at least a two day trip just to get to base camp. And me not being soo much of a Alpinist didn't seem to appealing to me but I do know that they do take trips out to Victoria peak and is totally possible.

Second Sport climbing:
When I was down south two years ago I wanted to climb really badly when I was down there. Did the research and really only found one established area. The Jaguar Paw Resort has a perfect Lime stone cliff ban just before you get to the resort. An X-pat runs the place. His main attraction is Zip lines, in these huge trees that follow along the cliff ban. When I was there it became very apparent, that this is where it needs to start being developed. Sport climbing in Belize that is. Anyways come to find out some guy from the US came down and found (what seemed to him the best looking lines) a place to bolt. He has probably 10 or more lines bolted. All very fun none over the grade of 11c. The resort has is set up for non-climber types. They have all the gear except for shoes and chalk. that was easy to bring though. climbed all of the routes I have pic/vid that I will post links up. I have to say though, this cliff ban is MILES LONG. The bolter only hit the closest stuff to the zip lining so that newbies wouldn't have to walk very far. But I will tell you, there is potential for hundreds of perfect 25-30m routes here. And on a side note there are boulders EVERYWHERE cleaning is necessary, as is the Jungle. Very highly featured climbing!!!!!!!!

It looks like on this section of climbing in Belize there is some development being done in Toledo, district which is in the souther part of the country. Also that is where I have heard there to be boulders on the beach that were made to be climbed on. And that is where I will be checking out of new rock when I am down there from end of March 2011 to the beginning of April 2011.

RopeGunPmac

Jan 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RopeGunPmac] Headed South [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are the climbing Vid's.

http://mysp.ac/fGHEU4

http://mysp.ac/ezRYmX

Hope you enjoy.

-Pmac

davva23

Jan 21, 2011, 2:02 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RopeGunPmac] Headed South [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Pmac
Thanks for the post. My time in Belize is almost up Frown. But I am going to Guatemala next Cool
If I've some spare time and a willing partner I'll check out Jaguar Paw for sure.
Peace
D

RopeGunPmac

Jan 21, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi D,

You won't need a partner, they have guys there that have to be there anyway so just go by yourself and your able to top rope or lead. Highly suggested.
Have fun in Guatemala. lucky bastard.

Pmac-

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook