Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
Freestanding frame for Metolius Stimulator?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

bandit350

Feb 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #1 of 11 (9658 views)
Shortcut

Freestanding frame for Metolius Stimulator?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

has anyone made a freestanding frame for a hangboard? i found some plans for a pull up bar that would have to be modified but figured best to ask on here. hopefully someone has done this before.

the doorways in my house won't work and the basement has a low drop ceiling, so i want to build a free standing frame in my workout room.

i put a link below but have also considered an A-frame style design.

these are the plans i found (about halfway down)
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Bodyweight.html

thanks,
chris

Stormeh

Feb 15, 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #2 of 11 (9644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandit350] Freestanding frame for Metolius Stimulator? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think my girlfriend owns a Metolius Stimulator.

johnwesely

Feb 15, 2010, 1:49 AM
Post #3 of 11 (9614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I wouldn't bother. If you are going to build something then build a small wall. Hangboards take ungodly amounts of dedication because they are so boring.

altelis

Feb 15, 2010, 1:56 AM
Post #4 of 11 (9605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bandit350 wrote:
has anyone made a freestanding frame for a hangboard? i found some plans for a pull up bar that would have to be modified but figured best to ask on here. hopefully someone has done this before.

the doorways in my house won't work and the basement has a low drop ceiling, so i want to build a free standing frame in my workout room.

i put a link below but have also considered an A-frame style design.

these are the plans i found (about halfway down)
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Bodyweight.html

thanks,
chris

1) mount the board to plywood, use a plywood "backer" for the other side of the door, and use LARGE c-clamps. I did this through college and other rental places where putting holes into walls was not an option. Just need to use a door you don't mind not being able to close...

2) There is something very broken looking about this dude from that site...

PS- none of the people on that site looked particularly impressive- I may take what they say with a grain of salt...

west_by_god_virginia

Feb 15, 2010, 1:58 AM
Post #5 of 11 (9605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen that websites plans for a freestanding mount built and used. its not horrible. however, it is heavy and expensive. You will be able to build one cheaper and with less hassle using an A-frame design, you can also make it modular since it has fewer parts. i used the A-frame concept and built a freestanding mount for my simulator in about 4 hours, no special tools other than saw and drill. cost me around 40. minus the board.

however, it is boring and takes up a lot of floor space. build the small wall. :)

edit: for clairity

(This post was edited by west_by_god_virginia on Feb 15, 2010, 7:25 AM)

rschap

Feb 15, 2010, 4:50 AM
Post #6 of 11 (9579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [west_by_god_virginia] Freestanding frame for Metolius Stimulator? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I agree that hang boards are boring and would never build one but if I were to I’d add a leg lift and dip bar on the other side similar to this

but with your hang board on the pull up side.

bandit350

Feb 16, 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #7 of 11 (9526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd like to build a wall but that's down the road. i have the stimulator already and really like it as part of my workout routine. i actually have a power tower (pull up / dip station) in my garage and get some good use out of it. the stimulator was hung on my joists in the basement in my last house.

i am going to look into an A frame design. maybe i can even find some brackets for saw horses or swing sets to use.

jrathfon

Feb 16, 2010, 6:20 AM
Post #8 of 11 (9520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandit350] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SUNY New Paltz outiing club has one built for pull-up contests at their film festival events. I'd look them up and email, I'm sure they'd take a pic for ya. It is pretty stable and the normal size you would expect.

scottek67

Feb 16, 2010, 9:54 AM
Post #9 of 11 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why won't your doorways work? If you don't want to wreck them I was thinking of modifying/building something like this (just higher).

JLSmith526

Apr 26, 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #10 of 11 (8917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had made one out of plywood and 4x6's. It was something similar to what a local gym had at the time.

essentially I took 4 4x6's and set each one as a corner, with a board connecting each one so that they are all equal distance apart. Then took a large sheet of 3/4" plywood and mounted it to the 4x6's on one side, and mounted the hangboard to that.

Found that on the backside of the 4x6's I had to create a 45 degree angle brace between the base board and the 4x6 so that it could take the extra pressure.

It stood up on it's own and required to weight to counterbalance it when I used it (of course I only weigh 140 lbs).

JLSmith526

Apr 26, 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #11 of 11 (8917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had made one out of plywood and 4x6's. It was something similar to what a local gym had at the time.

essentially I took 4 4x6's and set each one as a corner, with a board connecting each one so that they are all equal distance apart. Then took a large sheet of 3/4" plywood and mounted it to the 4x6's on one side, and mounted the hangboard to that.

Found that on the backside of the 4x6's I had to create a 45 degree angle brace between the base board and the 4x6 so that it could take the extra pressure.

It stood up on it's own and required to weight to counterbalance it when I used it (of course I only weigh 140 lbs).

I had to create it due to the fact that my landlord wouldn't let me drill any holes above my door frames.

(This post was edited by JLSmith526 on Apr 26, 2010, 10:50 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook