RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

onrockandice

Feb 12, 2010, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2546 views)
Shortcut

Near Boise, ID...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I'm meeting up with 2 ice climbers (by coincidence) in Boise, ID. We decided to bring our gear as all of us are driving in to convene for a work project. Since I just got new fusions and so did one of the others we want to get out and "free solo a splitter in Chamonix" (see the pic on the home page).

I know that there's nothing within an hour of Boise that is TR or pitchable. Is there anything that is within 2 to 3 hours driving that is "roadside" ice? 30 minute walk-in maximum? If there was something even 5 or 6 hours we'd be up for it.

Let me know if you know of anything.

midwestpaul

Feb 12, 2010, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Near Boise, ID... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well...

The best ice is in twin falls. Never been, but I've heard there's lots of good multi-pitch stuff. Don't know how roadside it is.

Other stuff in the area is pretty lame IMO. check out http://www.iceclimb.com/ID.html. Yellowpine has the most concentrated roadside ice, but don't expect anything over fifty feet tall.

I've also heard of a new mixed route that went up near the dam next to the black cliffs. i've seen ice there before, but it was ephemeral at best.

good luck.

altelis

Feb 15, 2010, 2:01 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
Hey I'm meeting up with 2 ice climbers (by coincidence) in Boise, ID. We decided to bring our gear as all of us are driving in to convene for a work project. Since I just got new fusions and so did one of the others we want to get out and "free solo a splitter in Chamonix" (see the pic on the home page).

I know that there's nothing within an hour of Boise that is TR or pitchable. Is there anything that is within 2 to 3 hours driving that is "roadside" ice? 30 minute walk-in maximum? If there was something even 5 or 6 hours we'd be up for it.

Let me know if you know of anything.

I would really love to hear an explanation as to why you can't hike for more than 30 minutes in to the climbing but you would consider driving 5-6 hrs?

Why not find somewhere you could drive 2 hrs and hike in 1-2? Or some other permutation that puts you WELL under the the current 6.5 hrs one way max you have now?

onrockandice

Feb 15, 2010, 4:12 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Near Boise, ID... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it requires skiing or snowshoes we don't have the gear for that. As long as it is on packed snow then sure I'll walk for hours.

I was just thinking we have nothing for deep snow terrain.

It's so weird when I write these things it makes perfect sense to me and then someone responds and says, "What are you thinking? You are not making sense!" and I think to myself... daaaaaaamn! They are right.

Does that clarify a bit better. Just cannot do deep snow crossing is all.

See my sig for clarity on this and *all* topics.

altelis

Feb 15, 2010, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehe, I do the same thing sometimes.

That makes the perfect sense. So its not the actual length of the approach- you were just assuming if it was roadside the trail would probably be well packed, eh?

Ok, makes sense to me!

onrockandice

Feb 15, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Near Boise, ID... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
So its not the actual length of the approach- you were just assuming if it was roadside the trail would probably be well packed, eh?

Yup! Exactly!Cool

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook