RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

onrockandice

Feb 16, 2010, 6:31 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Osprey 40 and Ice Tools...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a gumby and I'm unsure how to stow my ice tools on the osprey 40 pack. I've got stout nylon loops at the base of the pack (2 of them) up agove them I have bungee cord-locked loops. Do I put the picks up high on the pack and the handles down low or vice-versa. The directions don't show and Google hasn't been kind to me...

What a stupid question to ask but I don't want to look like the gumby I am. I want people to think I'm a hardman and that the iceman cometh.Crazy

altelis

Feb 16, 2010, 6:35 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Osprey 40 and Ice Tools... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

orient the bag so that the part that goes on your back is on the floor

lay the ice tool on the bag so the spike is at the bottom and the pick is toward the top of the pack and the pick is FACING THE CENTER

push the ice tool all the way through the loop at the bottom, spike first, until the loop "catches' on the head of the axe. the pick should be up against the loop at the bottom of the pack and the spike and shaft should be BEYOND the bottom of the bag.

now grab the spike and rotate it UP and over the bottom of the bag so that the spike is now at the top of the bag. this motion should create a "hammock" out of the loop of webbing so that it is cradling the head/pick of the axe.

use the bungee to strap the shaft to the bag.

done.

EDIT to Add PICTURES AND A LINK (EASILY FOUND WITH GOOGLE):

http://www.trails.com/...ch-ice-axe-pack.html

It should be obvious to you if you do it otherwise, but it is quite unsafe to attach your axes to your pack with the picks facing OUT. It'll look scary and wrong, but just make sure. Facing in they won't snag you or anything else in a tumble. Out, not so much.

(This post was edited by altelis on Feb 16, 2010, 6:41 PM)

altelis

Feb 16, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, something to think about. I've always never really enjoyed the bungee attachments. If its not a pain, I usually replace them with webbing and a quick release buckle.

There are pros and cons to both systems, so I usually haven't spent too much time or effort to mod in either direction..

onrockandice

Feb 16, 2010, 8:27 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Osprey 40 and Ice Tools... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
(EASILY FOUND WITH GOOGLE)

It's funny how easy I can find something when I know all about it, the terms etc... it's hard when I'm knew to something and maybe word it wrong.

Be that as may you've perfectly answered my question and my tools are now snugly secured. I get it now. It's amazing what a picture can do.

I appreciate the time you took to answer.

Thank You!

altelis

Feb 16, 2010, 8:37 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries. And you are right- its way easier to find something you know about than to learn something new while using google.

Glad that made sense. Its one of those things that doesn't necessarily jump out at you but is TERRIBLY easy once you see it :)

onrockandice

Feb 16, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. I was reading it and I was like ... uh ... er ... then I looked down at the picture and then kept reading and had that pivotal aha moment.

No matter how long I've climbed and what I've learned and truly I've learned a lot there's always a better, safer or smarter way to do something.

The most damaging thing to do is to not ask or to ask in such a way you piss people off.

I think I'm starting to establish myself here just a tiny bit which is good. I figure in another year or so I might actually know someone's first name. Laugh But I don't want to move too fast.Angelic

Again, thank you!

qtm

Feb 17, 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Also, something to think about. I've always never really enjoyed the bungee attachments. If its not a pain, I usually replace them with webbing and a quick release buckle.

There are pros and cons to both systems, so I usually haven't spent too much time or effort to mod in either direction..

Yeah, I like mine a little more secure. Picked up a double sided velcro system; one side velcros into the daisy, the other side holds the tool. Probably could have made one myself had I figured out what I needed.

Also, before flipping up, I give the tool a couple of twists; clockwise for the left and counter-clockwise for the right. When flipped, the loops try to untwist, forcing the picks against the pack instead of flopping around. Just make sure that the twisted loop still goes under the tool head when flipped up or it could still slip out.

gmggg

Feb 17, 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Osprey 40 and Ice Tools... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for velcro.

I like that twist idea too...

floating_bottle

Feb 17, 2010, 1:33 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Osprey 40 and Ice Tools... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone come up with an ingenious way to secure tools that don't have hammers/adzes (eg, nomics)?

I put them through the loops until the loop is just below the head of the tool, then rotate the tool until the loop is pretty tight.

This works okay, but the tools/loops tend to loosen up during long approaches.

I twist them on pretty tight, but don't want to twist so tight I tear the stitching out.

onrockandice

Feb 17, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [floating_bottle] Osprey 40 and Ice Tools... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

floating_bottle wrote:
Has anyone come up with an ingenious way to secure tools that don't have hammers/adzes (eg, nomics)?

I had to ponder this and came up with something I liked quite a bit last night. It turns out that it suits me well as I normally have 3 biners on my outside pack for securing water, helmet, shoes or something thereof.

If you look closely I thread the "hammock" loop through the leash eyelet starting at bottom, wrap around to the top and thread down in. Clip both loops with a locker and for me it's a very tight way to carry. I did an approach today and didn't have any noticeable rattle from it.

Since all uploaded photos have to be approved (or at least mine do) I made it my profile pic. So go have a look and you'll see what I mean. YMMV but it works great for me.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook