RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

boulderinfool

Feb 25, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5721 views)
Shortcut

Tearing skin flaps
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey im kinda new to climbing and have been getting big flaps of skin tear off on my fingers. any help? iv tried taping and it kinda works. but i find after a little while of being sweaty, getting chalky and just general climbing the tape becomes useless. i may be crazy but i might have seen some people use super glue??? any help would be greatly appreciated

geeyoupee

Feb 25, 2010, 7:59 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderinfool] Tearing skin flaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't tried super glue but I've heard of people doing it. Personally, I cut the flaps off with a nail clipper and then tape them up. I've found that athletic tape or climbing tape comes off pretty easy so I use surgical tape instead. Surgical tape seems to stick to the skin better and its thinner. I wouldn't say to go out and buy it because I'm not sure of it's price because I got it from my dads surgery and its his left over stuff. After it heals up a bit, i usually sand the skin down so that it doesn't catch and tear again. But then I don't usually get flaps anymore.I use to get them a lot more when i started climbing.
Also, clean your finger or hand before applying the tape.

(This post was edited by geeyoupee on Feb 25, 2010, 8:00 PM)

curt

Feb 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulderinfool wrote:
hey im kinda new to climbing and have been getting big flaps of skin tear off on my fingers. any help? iv tried taping and it kinda works. but i find after a little while of being sweaty, getting chalky and just general climbing the tape becomes useless. i may be crazy but i might have seen some people use super glue??? any help would be greatly appreciated

Take the Jergens lotion that you no doubt save for special occasions and apply it more regularly (to your hands) and see if this doesn't make a difference.

Curt

qtm

Feb 26, 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #4 of 7 (5635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gotta be careful with super glue; if you use it, you're basically sealing contaminants under the glue, which can lead to infection. Clean the wound, tape it up, and take it easy on that finger. If it's a big flapper, I prefer to cut it off before taping.

jmw03j

Aug 30, 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #5 of 7 (5070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Tearing skin flaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Late response but...

I would advise heavily against using super glue. Along the lines of what the previous poster said, wounds heal best when exposed to the air, a lot of bacteria love being isolated from open air and grow best in those conditions, and sealing off a wound like that is not a good idea. Its one thing to have a sterile blister but never seal off an open wound if at all possible. Likely will just prolong the healing.

The glue itself is also extremely rough on your tissues and can easily damage the wound further by injuring more of your skin as it sets. The "super glue" that doctors use is generally not the same as the Krazy Glue you can buy at the hardware store and is not quite as harmful in that respect.

As mentioned before the best bet is to clean it up (ugh, hurts worse than tearing it open) and perhaps cutting it off if the majority of it is torn, perhaps with sterilized nail clippers, and keeping it clean and a light! coating of some neosporin type cream. Tape is most definitely your friend.

On a side note, anyone a fan of keeping a nail file on hand to soften your callouses while you climb?

chris_220

Sep 7, 2010, 5:26 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmw03j] Tearing skin flaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

use NEW SKIN works wonders this is what i used when i began climbing. other than that i would just tear off the skin slap some chalk on there and just climb.

redlude97

Sep 7, 2010, 5:37 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmw03j] Tearing skin flaps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmw03j wrote:
Late response but...

I would advise heavily against using super glue. Along the lines of what the previous poster said, wounds heal best when exposed to the air, a lot of bacteria love being isolated from open air and grow best in those conditions, and sealing off a wound like that is not a good idea. Its one thing to have a sterile blister but never seal off an open wound if at all possible. Likely will just prolong the healing.

The glue itself is also extremely rough on your tissues and can easily damage the wound further by injuring more of your skin as it sets. The "super glue" that doctors use is generally not the same as the Krazy Glue you can buy at the hardware store and is not quite as harmful in that respect.

As mentioned before the best bet is to clean it up (ugh, hurts worse than tearing it open) and perhaps cutting it off if the majority of it is torn, perhaps with sterilized nail clippers, and keeping it clean and a light! coating of some neosporin type cream. Tape is most definitely your friend.

On a side note, anyone a fan of keeping a nail file on hand to soften your callouses while you climb?
I use a pedicure file in the shower. I find it softens up the callouses better and allows me to just file them without removing too much other skin. Dry filing was too harsh

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook