Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
top-rope?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbercat

Mar 3, 2010, 3:08 PM
Post #1 of 2 (719 views)
Shortcut

top-rope?  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Franklin_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any easy climbs that you can use trees at the top for anchors? I want to take some friends out but none can lead belay. I've been there once when I was really young but from what I remember, they hiked to the top to set up the anchors.

Thanks

roninthorne

Mar 5, 2010, 9:01 AM
Post #2 of 2 (663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbercat] top-rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nothing is really easy to set up for TRing from trees with the snow still on top and the edges pretty icy/brushy from storms and damage. You can get to the top of Blood, Sweat and Chalk pretty easily by hiking L from the base, then up and around onto the plateau (it's the obvious single 5.9 climb on a column by itself at the top of the switchbacks between the Contact and Impact Zones). Barnacle Bill and a few others are reachable, but you're making more impact and putting yourself at greater risk. We put a lot of this stuff out of reach of the top on purpose, to prevent rednecks, crackers, and self-entitled gymbies from stealing the biners and anchors.

Maybe you should think about Lovers Leap or Hidden Rocks, in Hone Quarry, over in the Shenandoah Valley. Lester Zook and a crew from EMU/JMU recently improved the trails around the crag, adding water bars, steps, and side rails. Easy to get to the top, easy to set up anchors, and using trees or the big Metolius Rap Anchors (with sufficient perlon or slingage, and maybe a pad for the edge) make set-up a breeze.

(This post was edited by roninthorne on Mar 10, 2010, 8:45 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$71.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook