RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

holden3962

Mar 21, 2010, 6:06 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2944 views)
Shortcut

road trip questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im planning on taking a road trip from colorado to california this summer in the beginning of may. i a relatively beginning climber. i can lead a 9's and 10's. what are some good places to stop at? i was talking to some experienced climbers and they were saying about going up to idaho instead of moab because the difficulty of routes. is this true? will there still be snow around in the beginning of may in idaho? im open to any suggestions.

tslater

Mar 23, 2010, 4:23 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holden3962] road trip questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, 134 views and nobody has bothered to answer you? No wonder I gave up on this site.

PM me if you want a discount on the California Road Trip guidebook, it covers 106 crags in Central and Northern California, all levels, bouldering, Trad, Sport.

Visit this thread-
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2199391;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread

for table of contents or visit my website

slatervision.com for Table of Contents and sample pages.

Best of luck,

Slater

holden3962

Mar 23, 2010, 4:31 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tslater] road trip questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the reply but im from northern california but im flying out to colorado to see my brother and we are going to take a climbing road trip back. so i was looking from more of idea of places between colorado and california.

tslater

Mar 23, 2010, 4:38 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gotcha.
About half of our buyers are climbers from Nor Cal. So is my co-author, Chris Summit. You should check it out if you haven't. They're going quick.

It goes as low as Needles/Kern, covers Shuteye, so I know there is new stuff in there for ya, out of print stuff too.

Road Trip: Hit Red Rocks, swing through Idaho, SLC has a slew of crags, or just stay in Colorado and forget the in between.

(This post was edited by tslater on Mar 23, 2010, 4:40 AM)

marc801

Mar 23, 2010, 5:00 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

holden3962 wrote:
i was talking to some experienced climbers and they were saying about going up to idaho instead of moab because the difficulty of routes. is this true?
Depends on how much time you plan to spend there. There are certainly a selection of 9's and 10's around Moab. Although there are a fair number of 10's in Indian Creek (an hour south of Moab), the sweet spot there is really 11. (But one person's 10 is another's 11 - it all depends on hand and finger size.) How burly you find them depends on how much crack experience you have.

In reply to:
will there still be snow around in the beginning of may in idaho?
Not at City of Rocks, which is where I'd recommend for a road trip.

oklahoma

Mar 23, 2010, 6:08 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

City of Rocks is the only thing worth roadtripping in Idaho. It's well worth it though. If you go that way see if you can fit in Sinks Canyon in Lander, WY. It has some amazing climbs and some great bouldering at Wild Iris. And there is a chance they'll be snow in May. I was in Jackson, WY in late may and I was snowed on everyday for a week. I know their geography is a lot different but their latitudes are similar.

I'd suggest the Utah route. I just did a road trip from Denver to San Diego last year during May. I had great weather the entire time. I stopped in Moab, Zion, Red Rocks, and J-Tree.

Obviously, J-Tree is a little far south if you are heading to NoCal but Red Rocks is well worth the drive. Plus, you can pick up a hooker or something in Vegas. Atleast stop by spearmint rhino. It's about a 9 hour drive from Vegas to Sacramento (not sure where in NorCal you are headed) but you can stop at Bishop and do some bouldering and then Yosemite and get some trad. Not sure what Yosemite is like in May. I've only been once and it was in August.

As far as being a beginner, there will be climbs in your level at just about everywhere you go.

Hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook