Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

davidnn5

Mar 23, 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #26 of 55 (8574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kachoong

You had me until you put pounds into the list. Fight the madness! Down with imperial measures!

Also, you didn't have barbecues or beer in the list. Surely that's a mistake.

TarHeelEMT

Mar 24, 2010, 5:39 AM
Post #27 of 55 (8521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
bhp wrote:
I'm quite a bit heavier than my climbing partner, so when I'm leading he'll tie into a tree or something with his haul loop, so he doesn't get yanked into the wall during a fall. It allows a more natural stance than anchoring to something behind you with the belay loop.

Wait 'til he has to catch a hard lead fall and cracks three ribs. Then he'll see that a "more natural stance" is a really stupid reason to misuse his harness.

How about this crazy idea: If the anchor is a ways behind you, stand slightly sideways, with the anchor rope running down over one hip/thigh? Or if the anchor is nearly below you, run the anchor strand down between your feet.

GO

How does this lead to broken ribs? I'm having a hard time picturing being secured to a tree via haul loop could end that way. Has this happened to you?

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2010, 4:48 PM
Post #28 of 55 (8486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
cracklover wrote:
bhp wrote:
I'm quite a bit heavier than my climbing partner, so when I'm leading he'll tie into a tree or something with his haul loop, so he doesn't get yanked into the wall during a fall. It allows a more natural stance than anchoring to something behind you with the belay loop.

Wait 'til he has to catch a hard lead fall and cracks three ribs. Then he'll see that a "more natural stance" is a really stupid reason to misuse his harness.

How about this crazy idea: If the anchor is a ways behind you, stand slightly sideways, with the anchor rope running down over one hip/thigh? Or if the anchor is nearly below you, run the anchor strand down between your feet.

GO

How does this lead to broken ribs? I'm having a hard time picturing being secured to a tree via haul loop could end that way. Has this happened to you?

Hasn't happened to me, no. But I have had friends crack ribs (it takes surprisingly little) and I know what happens when you secure a harness from behind.

Picture this: rope or sling to tree behind you from haul loop is tight, and you catch a hard lead fall. What happens?

You get a a few kN of force on the front of your harness pulling forward and up. Since the tree and sling behind you can't budge, you have an equal amount of force from behind you. Now your harness is trying to go from an oval with you in the middle to a straight line, and the only thing that can give is - you (humans are pretty squishy compared to the gear).

Make sense?

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #29 of 55 (8484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to be clear about the alternative (which is actually the standard): Both the anchor and the lead line are secured to your belay loop. Then you stand somewhat sideways, and a hard fall simply pulls your belay loop in two directions. This will not hurt at all!

GO

TarHeelEMT

Mar 24, 2010, 5:34 PM
Post #30 of 55 (8465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
cracklover wrote:
bhp wrote:

GO

Hasn't happened to me, no. But I have had friends crack ribs (it takes surprisingly little) and I know what happens when you secure a harness from behind.

Picture this: rope or sling to tree behind you from haul loop is tight, and you catch a hard lead fall. What happens?

You get a a few kN of force on the front of your harness pulling forward and up. Since the tree and sling behind you can't budge, you have an equal amount of force from behind you. Now your harness is trying to go from an oval with you in the middle to a straight line, and the only thing that can give is - you (humans are pretty squishy compared to the gear).

Make sense?

GO

That much all makes sense, and I can't imagine it's a comfortable situation to be in. I've seen lots of people clipping in to the haul loop for this purpose, but never seen a lead fall in this scenario, so the degree of suffering is something of an abstraction to me.

Mostly I was curious about the specifics of the ribs being a site of serious injury in this situation. I was thinking abdominal injury would be all - the ribs seem a little high.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Mar 24, 2010, 5:36 PM)

petsfed

Mar 24, 2010, 6:31 PM
Post #31 of 55 (8448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The strain on the muscles will do it. Corsets still crack ribs even though they are meant to suck in around the fleshy part.

altelis

Mar 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #32 of 55 (8416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
The strain on the muscles will do it. Corsets still crack ribs even though they are meant to suck in around the fleshy part.

i assume with all the talk about sucking and fleshy parts this is where the conversation shifts to your mom? Angelic

harpo_the_climber

Mar 26, 2010, 3:59 AM
Post #33 of 55 (8340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidnn5] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I checked with Arcteryx. On my X-350a I have a plastic d ring instead of a haul loop. They don't even reccomend bringing up a rope clipped to it.

c_kryll

May 13, 2010, 1:03 PM
Post #34 of 55 (8162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gbclimber] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I work in the Challenge Course Industry and there is a High Rope activity called the 'Swing Shot' that utilizes the rear haul loop. Essentially the participant is attached to the belay loop in front to a suspended vertical cable, then the pull line/release is attached at the back of their harness. They are then hauled into the air in an arc and released, creating a giant swing. Harness manufactures cater to more then just Rock Climbers...;)

btg

May 13, 2010, 1:30 PM
Post #35 of 55 (8158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c_kryll] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Only time I ever saw someone anchor in using their haul loop their leader took a fall and crotched himself on the rope (anchor wasn't exactly positioned right). Needless to say I popped off my route and laughed liked I used to when watching America's Funniest Home Videos.

ClimbClimb

May 16, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #36 of 55 (8096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c_kryll] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c_kryll wrote:
I work in the Challenge Course Industry and there is a High Rope activity called the 'Swing Shot' that utilizes the rear haul loop. Essentially the participant is attached to the belay loop in front to a suspended vertical cable, then the pull line/release is attached at the back of their harness. They are then hauled into the air in an arc and released, creating a giant swing. Harness manufactures cater to more then just Rock Climbers...;)

I knew it. Every time there's some weird feature on a piece of climbing gear, it turns out it's there for some bizarre sexual purpose. (By the way, this explains a lot about GriGris).

Oh, and, your post is worthless without pics.

snoboy

May 17, 2010, 2:20 AM
Post #37 of 55 (8048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to see a video demonstration of how to escape a loaded belay while anchored in to the back of your harness, and belaying off the front. :D

bill413

May 17, 2010, 1:30 PM
Post #38 of 55 (8016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoboy] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoboy wrote:
I'd like to see a video demonstration of how to escape a loaded belay while anchored in to the back of your harness, and belaying off the front. :D

It's doable. Practice tying your prussiks one-handed.

patto

May 17, 2010, 2:19 PM
Post #39 of 55 (8000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
snoboy wrote:

Why would you need to tie prussike with only one hand when you have two hands?

bill413

May 17, 2010, 2:21 PM
Post #40 of 55 (7999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
bill413 wrote:
snoboy wrote:

'Cause it's more awkward to use 2 to tie the prussik on the anchor strand behind you than doing it one handed.

patto

May 17, 2010, 3:02 PM
Post #41 of 55 (7979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
patto wrote:
bill413 wrote:
snoboy wrote:

'Cause it's more awkward to use 2 to tie the prussik on the anchor strand behind you than doing it one handed.

While there are a thousand ways to skin this cat what your suggesting doesn't really come in as one of the easy and obvious ways.
1. Secure belay device to go hands free. (tie backup)
2. Tighten prussik to climber side rope, and attach to anchor.
3. Release belay device and let slack out until anchor is weighted.
4. Remove belay and escape!

bill413

May 17, 2010, 3:11 PM
Post #42 of 55 (7973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
bill413 wrote:
patto wrote:
bill413 wrote:
snoboy wrote:

While there are a thousand ways to skin this cat what your suggesting doesn't really come in as one of the easy and obvious ways.
1. Secure belay device to go hands free. (tie backup)
2. Tighten prussik to climber side rope, and attach to anchor.
3. Release belay device and let slack out until anchor is weighted.
4. Remove belay and escape!

It's the "attach to anchor" part that has you working behind your back.

billcoe_

May 17, 2010, 9:44 PM
Post #43 of 55 (7920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gbclimber wrote:
I've been climbing for several years now, and I still don't know what the purpose for having a 15kn rated haul loop is for. The only thing I use mine for his for bringing up a second rope, but it's never weighted or anything while I'm climbing....so just curious, what's it for?
http://tinyurl.com/2dek8wf
Click that link and see if this furthers your understanding of that question. Understand that the 3 climbers involved had well over 100 year of climbing experience between them.

hafilax

May 17, 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #44 of 55 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
gbclimber wrote:
I've been climbing for several years now, and I still don't know what the purpose for having a 15kn rated haul loop is for. The only thing I use mine for his for bringing up a second rope, but it's never weighted or anything while I'm climbing....so just curious, what's it for?
Click that link and see if this furthers your understanding of that question. Understand that the 3 climbers involved had well over 100 year of climbing experience between them.
That is the weakest use of LMGTFY I have ever seen.Unimpressed

ClimbClimb

May 18, 2010, 8:00 PM
Post #45 of 55 (7844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:

It doesn't. What does "haul loop" vs. "belay loop" anchor tie-in have to do with this terrible incident from last year? EIther you're tied in when lowering or you're not.

csproul

May 18, 2010, 8:25 PM
Post #46 of 55 (7825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He and others have been saved by having the trail rope tied into a full strength haul loop when all else has failed. Yes, they all should have been tied in by other means. But when the primary rope didn't save them (or wasn't being properly used), it was the fact that the trailing rope was attached to a full strength haul loop that saved their ass. In such a circumstance, if the trailing rope had been attached to a gear loop or other non-rated loop, they would have died. Al's accident was not the only one in which I have heard this happen. I don't use the haul line to anchor with, bu when I trail a rope, I make sure it is attached to something that can take a fall.

tradmania

May 19, 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #47 of 55 (7793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I interpret it, this is not an argument for full strength haul-loops, it is a justification after the fact. I fail to see anything in the accident report that defends the use of full strength haul-loops, or promotes their necessity. Yes it saved him, but human error was the cause of the accident. Or have I just missed something here?

Background info: 90% of my climbing (in Australia and the UK) has always been on half-ropes. I have only used a tag-line once in 10 years of climbing.

csproul

May 19, 2010, 1:06 AM
Post #48 of 55 (7776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmania] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Argument/justification...you can call it whatever you want, it's just semantics. Regardless of the cause of the accident(s), the fact remains that climbers lives have been saved by full strength haul loops. I can see it being even more of an issue with aid climbers, who almost always climb with a haul line, and where masses of gear and ropes possibly lead to confusion. It may not be a matter of life and death, but losing a haul line from a broken gear loop would be terribly inconvenient. The way I see it, if you're going to put a loop on the back of you harness, you might as well make it full strength.

summerprophet

May 19, 2010, 1:16 AM
Post #49 of 55 (7773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow there is a lot of assholes responding here.

The full strength haul loop is for bringing up a haul line. While indeed, full strength may be a bit of overkill, it was not that long ago, that gear loops were just stitched and broke around 10 - 20 lbs. In the event your rope gets snagged, or some dumbass grabs it, the full strength loop offers a whole lot more reliability than a few stitches.

Other uses include a clip in point for sleeping on a portaledge (particularly for stomach sleepers), a point to drag a sled (like the approach to Denali), and it also has some rescue purposes (like guiding longline cables in a helicopter, or belayed from rear while waist deep in swiftwater)

ClimbClimb

May 19, 2010, 1:23 AM
Post #50 of 55 (7771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Full strength haul loops [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. I am a supporter, intuitively, of having full-strength haul-loops on one's harness. (I am pretty sure the one on mine is).

2. csproul's justification was weak.

3. the reaons you cite make sense and bring up some applications that I hadn't thought of. thank you.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook