RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Dynosoarus

Mar 25, 2010, 4:20 PM
Post #1 of 16 (11471 views)
Shortcut

Military made pitons?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Since im on a tight budget I was thinking of buying these pitons since there so cheap. Now I dont want to skimp on quality, but there military grade and usa made. Does anyone know anything about them?

Here are a couple links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150327938561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/climbing-pitons-2908.cfm

qtm

Mar 25, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #2 of 16 (11466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dynosoarus] Military made pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dynosoarus wrote:
Since im on a tight budget I was thinking of buying these pitons since there so cheap. Now I dont want to skimp on quality, but there military grade and usa made. Does anyone know anything about them?

Here are a couple links

http://cgi.ebay.com/...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...bing-pitons-2908.cfm

Clicky.

jaablink

Mar 25, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 16 (11451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you active? If you are, I know you can get a pro deal with at least Metolious . Sent you the pro deal forms. Check your mail…

edit:
I almost forgot. Hurry up and wait…

(This post was edited by jaablink on Mar 25, 2010, 5:01 PM)

Dynosoarus

Mar 25, 2010, 7:11 PM
Post #4 of 16 (11367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] Military made pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I will be soon. I get shipped off in may.

Thanks a ton I had no idea they did this and these deals are incredible. I cant find an updated sheet on the net and it seems you have to send in to get one with a military address. Im enlisted but not yet active. So once I am do I call/mail metolius for one?

jaablink

Mar 25, 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #5 of 16 (11329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know. Its at least 40% but you can't abuse this privlage.
For clothing and packs check out wild things gear. You need to call the number at the bottom for military sales . You will save exorbitant amounts of cash on high grade tech wear and packs.
http://www.wildthingsgear.com/legacy/

USnavy

Mar 27, 2010, 6:41 AM
Post #6 of 16 (11202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The auction said military made. Well we dont make anything, we are not a manufacturer. Actually I dont believe the military uses pitons that much anyway. I know a few Navy SEAL's who climb and they dont use them. I would say its a flashy false title to make them sound bad ass.

Dynosoarus

Mar 27, 2010, 3:46 PM
Post #7 of 16 (11155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Military made pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, thank you. I thought it sounded kinda fishy too because I couldnt find anything that said the military made pitons and since there so cheap I questioned there quality.

Adk

Mar 28, 2010, 1:48 PM
Post #8 of 16 (11094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As USNAVY said and we haven't used piton is ages. The military is about stealth and not banging metal into rock with steel hammers.Unsure Pitons would let the bad guy know how you got there IF you were able to place them and then they would know how to counter a re-entry if discovered.
Once nuts and then cams(placement is quiet) hit the market pitons went by the wayside. I do know that bolts are used in some training as is a lot of rope and webbing. I know of only one group that trains with passive and active pro and this is only once a year or so.

vegastradguy

Mar 29, 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #9 of 16 (11040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dynosoarus wrote:

Here are a couple links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150327938561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/climbing-pitons-2908.cfm

my first thought when reading this was if you are on a tight budget and looking for pins, maybe you should re-think your goals- there's plenty of climbing to be had without having a rack of iron and the other associated costs....

coldfeet

Apr 3, 2010, 6:09 AM
Post #10 of 16 (10891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think those are real US military surplus (made for the army, not by the army) but they are also pretty old, even if NOS.

http://www.chesslerbooks.com/...ontal-rock-piton.asp

Some of them may be soft steel. In any case there are probably better things to use.

hendo

Apr 11, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #11 of 16 (10741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen online sources for these military grade pitons even cheaper. A buck a piece, or 85 cents.

However ...

These soft-steel pitons were made for one-time use -- basically, getting troops safely up steep terrain so that they could carry on with their attack. They were not intended to be long-term fixed anchors or fixed pro.

We have an extremely knowledgeable member on RC, JimTitt, who is a German manufacturer of fixed gear. He has completely stopped producing pitons (even hard steel) because he feels they are simply inadequate for the purposes of fixed gear.

He has put together a lengthy article on his thoughts and findings about fixed gear. (It has a strong engineering bent.) If you scroll down to Part 6, you'll find his conclusions on pitons.

http://www.bolt-products.com/Glue-inBoltDesign.htm

P.S. As others have said, there are other sources of inexpensive (and strong) pro, e.g. webbing.

(This post was edited by hendo on Apr 11, 2010, 6:48 PM)

majid_sabet

Apr 11, 2010, 8:19 PM
Post #12 of 16 (10714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a lot of those and sold them on ebay. they are solid and work well but little heavy.

USnavy

Apr 12, 2010, 6:54 AM
Post #13 of 16 (10659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Military made pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
hey are solid and work well but little heavy.
Yea, because you climb hard nailing aid so you would know... Crazy

guangzhou

Apr 13, 2010, 2:55 AM
Post #14 of 16 (10606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Military made pitons? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
As USNAVY said and we haven't used piton is ages. The military is about stealth and not banging metal into rock with steel hammers.Unsure Pitons would let the bad guy know how you got there IF you were able to place them and then they would know how to counter a re-entry if discovered.
Once nuts and then cams(placement is quiet) hit the market pitons went by the wayside. I do know that bolts are used in some training as is a lot of rope and webbing. I know of only one group that trains with passive and active pro and this is only once a year or so.

I hate to say this, but in some cases, the service still uses pitons. I know this first hand from training I've provided to the U.S. Army on big wall climbing skills.

graniteboy

Apr 15, 2010, 8:05 PM
Post #15 of 16 (10561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Down the road a piece, there's this place called the Pickle Meadows Mountain Warfare Training Camp. And, as Guangzou said...yeah, pitons are still on the menu. See section 3-11.
http://www.scribd.com/...ITARY-MOUNTAINEERING

But as for USNavy's assertion that putting the US military label on them would make them sound "badass".....I personally tend to shy away from gear designed for the military. It's mostly cheap crap, antiquated, or just plain inferior.

And to the OP: as for buying "military" pitons....how many dollars of savings is your life worth?

summerprophet

Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #16 of 16 (10514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Military Surplus pitons are indeed real, and cheap as dirt.

They problem is that they are 50 year old technology, and somewhat unsuitable for modern aid climbing techniques.

They are made out of soft iron, which is still desirable for some alpinists, but npot that practical for the repeated placemant you would want for big wall climbing. In addition, they only ever came in two sizes: a flat blade (hazardous and rarely seen), and the 3/4" angle that is frequently seen.

I would consider them for establishing a rap route, or something similar, but would seek out modern chromoly steel for any nailing routes.

(I don't climb sandstone towers, but these could be a cheap ticket in that direction.... as long as you are putting up new routes, not repeating someone elses....... 3/4" pin would fit just right in a hairline crack in sandstane no?)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook