RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Alek

Mar 28, 2010, 7:13 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Petit Dru - Directe Americane
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey :)

Any1 knows if some1 did Directe Americane on Petit Dru after the last rockfall? If yes, is the route like original line or rockfall destroyed upper parts of the route? I was there last year but we did it only to block Coince and we didn't see what is above... This year we are coming back on Dru - to the top, we hope :).

Thanks in advance

dretket

Mar 28, 2010, 7:46 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alek] Petit Dru - Directe Americane [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jonny Copp and Micah Dash attempted the Dru a while back, following the rock fall. They had to turn back after an avalanche nearly took them out. You can read about it in climbing magazine. Dash mentioned that many of the routes had been destroyed.

Alek

Mar 28, 2010, 8:33 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dretket] Petit Dru - Directe Americane [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, but I am curious about this one route - "Directe Americane" - It seems that it lies on the edge of the rockfall so maybe it is possible to climb it.

I also heard that it is possible to traverse to the Allain route on the north face of Dru after the two hardest (6c) pitches on Directe Americane (about 2-3 pitches above block Coince)...

Unfortunately I don't have any access to Climbing Magazine archives (is it available online?).

Thanks for your reply,
Cheers

altelis

Mar 28, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dretket] Petit Dru - Directe Americane [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dretket wrote:
Jonny Copp and Micah Dash attempted the Dru a while back, following the rock fall. They had to turn back after an avalanche nearly took them out. You can read about it in climbing magazine. Dash mentioned that many of the routes had been destroyed.

I could be wrong, and in the end it doesn't really matter, but my understanding was they got hit by a storm, bivied, and bailed the next morning and the avalanche nearly took them off while packing up at the base of the route after bailing....

yves

Mar 29, 2010, 1:59 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alek] Petit Dru - Directe Americane [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi

As you might already know, one of the option is to call either the Office de Haute Montagne (OHM: 00334505322080; they are usually pretty well informed) or the PGHM (Rescue Gendarmes) both in Chamonix, although it might be a little too early in season to get the infos .

You could also wish to post (even in English) at CamptoCamp, which is the equivalent of rockclimbing.com in France/Europe.

adnix

Mar 29, 2010, 7:51 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yves] Petit Dru - Directe Americane [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yves wrote:
As you might already know, one of the option is to call either the Office de Haute Montagne (OHM: 00334505322080; they are usually pretty well informed) or the PGHM (Rescue Gendarmes) both in Chamonix, although it might be a little too early in season to get the infos.

Every time I asked similar questions at OHM they said it's "out of condition". Don't bother with them. The OHM internet logbook doesn't show any complete ascents.

Here you have a good recent picture. You can decide yourself. Most probably it'll be a bit loose. I would leave a backup rope at the pendulum in case it's much harder than before.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/...dbpage.html?id=96472

Alek

Mar 29, 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adnix] Petit Dru - Directe Americane [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your replies.

I don't know what we will do but probably we will go on north face after 90m diedre... Although we are going there at second half of July - maybe som1 will try it before us :)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook