Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

JCN

Mar 27, 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #1 of 78 (16976 views)
Shortcut

Passed Out During Deadhang
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today when I was doing a deadhang on my pull-up bar I passed out. The only thing I remember is feeling very lightheaded during the exercise, but powerless to stop. It all happened very fast. My friend witnessed the incident and told me that my face suddenly went very red and I peeled off. My pull-up bar is in my stairwell about 4 steps from the bottom a few feet above the stairs. I’m told that after peeling, my legs buckled upon impact and I fell down the remaining stairs. When I came to, around what I’m told is one to two minutes later, my friend was holding me asking me if I was ok. I have absolutely no recollection of the incident and even after having it described to me the only thing I remember is the lightheadedness described earlier. I did not hit my head and the only injury seems to be a small cut on my hand. I felt strange for about an hour afterwards, but feel fine now. I have never passed out before, but often feel a similar lightheaded feeling after standing up quickly. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this may have happened and/or what I can do to prevent it from occurring in the future, especially on the wall.

cintune

Mar 27, 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #2 of 78 (16970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JCN] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might have been holding your breath. Just a guess.

CGCorey26

Mar 28, 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #3 of 78 (16943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like your blood pressure dropped momentarily, which is also the cause of getting light-headed when you stand up too quickly. There's a good chance that you were also holding your breath when it happened. If you're worried about it, make an appointment to see your doctor to rule out any major issues and for your own peace of mind. If it happens again, DEFINITELY get it checked out...

silascl

Mar 28, 2010, 2:01 AM
Post #4 of 78 (16879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would see a doctor.

Low blood pressure would usually mean pale skin, not red.

You also would awaken shortly after hitting the ground when the blood rushed back into your brain.

Your odd signs and relatively long loss of consciousness are somewhat worrying.

ebag17

Mar 28, 2010, 4:19 AM
Post #5 of 78 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I may just be a horrible friend. But, i would find that hilarious if i were there. On another note I would see a doctor. Especially if this becomes reoccurring.

-G

bennydh

Mar 28, 2010, 6:05 AM
Post #6 of 78 (16770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Syncopy? Maybe you have a predisposition to heart problems and blood pressure problems. Everyone seems to be in the same boat. See a Doc.

mikebee

Mar 28, 2010, 7:34 AM
Post #7 of 78 (16735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bennydh] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it particularly hot or cold in the room? Were you hungry or dehydrated at all?

blondgecko

Mar 28, 2010, 9:06 AM
Post #8 of 78 (16719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

One explanation which seems to fit the symptoms is thoracic outlet syndrome. This is actually a collection of related syndromes, caused by certain movements of the clavicle (collar bone) pinching one of the nerves or blood vessels that run under it. One of these is the subclavian vein. It drains the internal jugular vein, which in turn drains the brain and superficial portions of the face. In much the same way that your finger turns red when you squeeze the base, partially or completely blocking this vein would spike the blood pressure in your face and brain - turning your face red and doing potentially scary things inside - slowing the blood flow enough to starve your brain of oxygen and cause you to pass out.

This is something you really need to get checked out - if only to rule out such a possibility.

scottek67

Mar 28, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #9 of 78 (16665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebag17] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ebag17 wrote:
I may just be a horrible friend. But, i would find that hilarious if i were there.
that story itself was hilarious!Tonguethanks for the laugh!

JCN

Mar 28, 2010, 3:29 PM
Post #10 of 78 (16637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebag17] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ebag17 wrote:
I may just be a horrible friend. But, i would find that hilarious if i were there. On another note I would see a doctor. Especially if this becomes reoccurring.

-G
Oh don't worry. There was plenty of laughing.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I think I will just wait and if I ever start feeling weird again I'll get it checked out.

kovacs69

Mar 28, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #11 of 78 (16617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JCN wrote:
Today when I was doing a deadhang on my pull-up bar I passed out. The only thing I remember is feeling very lightheaded during the exercise, but powerless to stop. It all happened very fast. My friend witnessed the incident and told me that my face suddenly went very red and I peeled off. My pull-up bar is in my stairwell about 4 steps from the bottom a few feet above the stairs. I’m told that after peeling, my legs buckled upon impact and I fell down the remaining stairs. When I came to, around what I’m told is one to two minutes later, my friend was holding me asking me if I was ok. I have absolutely no recollection of the incident and even after having it described to me the only thing I remember is the lightheadedness described earlier. I did not hit my head and the only injury seems to be a small cut on my hand. I felt strange for about an hour afterwards, but feel fine now. I have never passed out before, but often feel a similar lightheaded feeling after standing up quickly. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this may have happened and/or what I can do to prevent it from occurring in the future, especially on the wall.

If you were truly in a dead hang and were so for a short while here is what probably happened.

You were hanging there relaxed and your shoulders squeezed in on your neck and pinched the veins in your neck cutting off or lowering the blood supply to your brain. This caused caused your blackout. I have seen this done when I coached gymnastics. Kid doing pull ups and resting between sets by just hanging there then flop onto the floor out cold. Then they come back to and everything is fine.

I am no doctor so take it or leave it but I have seen it many times.

JB

Partner j_ung

Mar 28, 2010, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 78 (16561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think passing out from a deadhang is normal. I guess the real question is, how many times have you deadhung before? If this the first time you've ever passed out while deadhanging -- but it's nowhere near your first deadhang -- then isn't that the very definition of not normal?

onceahardman

Mar 29, 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #13 of 78 (16446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
JCN wrote:

If you were truly in a dead hang and were so for a short while here is what probably happened.

You were hanging there relaxed and your shoulders squeezed in on your neck and pinched the veins in your neck cutting off or lowering the blood supply to your brain. This caused caused your blackout. I have seen this done when I coached gymnastics. Kid doing pull ups and resting between sets by just hanging there then flop onto the floor out cold. Then they come back to and everything is fine.

I am no doctor so take it or leave it but I have seen it many times.

JB

I think you're right. If you ever watch MMA, this is kind of like a Triangle choke, with one (or both) arms trapped inside the triangle...nighty night.

Probably more likely with a narrower grip.

blondgecko

Mar 30, 2010, 2:13 AM
Post #14 of 78 (16383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JCN wrote:
ebag17 wrote:

-G
Oh don't worry. There was plenty of laughing.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I think I will just wait and if I ever start feeling weird again I'll get it checked out.

I would recommend against this approach. That your face turned bright red indicates an increase of blood pressure in your head. Google "cerebral hemorrhage" to see why this is a bad thing.

shockabuku

Mar 30, 2010, 3:59 AM
Post #15 of 78 (16342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JCN wrote:

I don't wonder as much now, as I used to, about why it's called a deadhang.

aerili

Mar 30, 2010, 6:15 AM
Post #16 of 78 (16321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I don't think passing out from a deadhang is normal.

Actually, this happens to me all the time. (Well, I've learned to let go and drop down before the wave of blackness engulfs me now.)

I would say this guy is experiencing a vasovagal response (or syncope) as someone else mentioned.

I think suggesting thoracic outlet syndrome is jumping to massive conclusions. Occam's Razor is in order here.

jt512

Mar 30, 2010, 6:19 AM
Post #17 of 78 (16318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Actually, this happens to me all the time. (Well, I've learned to let go and drop down before the wave of blackness engulfs me now.)

I would say this guy is experiencing a vasovagal response (or syncope) as someone else mentioned.

I think suggesting thoracic outlet syndrome is jumping to massive conclusions. Occam's Razor is in order here.

What's in order here is a visit to a doctor.

Jay

aerili

Mar 30, 2010, 6:30 AM
Post #18 of 78 (16313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Jay

Maybe. But if it only happens once, then I don't see the point. Hell, it happens to me regularly and I've never seen a doc for it. I'm still livin'...all these years later.

One time I jumped up off a bed to turn off a ceiling fan, passed out cold, hit the floor, my head landed next to a giant dumbbell lying there, then I woke up who knows how long after and see that thing staring me in the eyes....Shocked Another time I got up off the couch, passed out on a tile floor but just happened to have my upper body fall through a bedroom doorway so the cerebral parts landed on carpeting. Happenstance there was a sharp corner of a wooden dresser which was ~1-2" from where my head landed--amazing that my gray matter missed THAT obstacle as well!

Hmmm, who knows, maybe I have sustained actual damage when I thought there was none....and that explains so much now that I think about it!! LaughLaugh

blondgecko

Mar 30, 2010, 6:31 AM
Post #19 of 78 (16310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Except that a vasovagal syncope involves a drop in blood pressure, the key symptom of which is the face turning pale. Turning red implies the exact opposite. Additionally, in a typical episode consciousness is regained almost immediately after collapse. Remaining unconscious for a few minutes is very unusual.

blondgecko

Mar 30, 2010, 6:34 AM
Post #20 of 78 (16309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Jay

Maybe. But if it only happens once, then I don't see the point. Hell, it happens to me regularly and I've never seen a doc for it. I'm still livin'...all these years later.

One time I jumped up off a bed to turn off a ceiling fan, passed out cold, hit the floor, my head landed next to a giant dumbbell lying there, then I woke up who knows how long after and see that thing staring me in the eyes....Shocked Another time I got up off the couch, passed out on a tile floor but just happened to have my upper body fall through a bedroom doorway so the cerebral parts landed on carpeting. Happenstance there was a sharp corner of a wooden dresser which was ~1-2" from where my head landed--amazing that my gray matter missed THAT obstacle as well!

Hmmm, who knows, maybe I have sustained actual damage when I thought there was none....and that explains so much now that I think about it!! LaughLaugh

I've had that happen to me a few times as well. Usually after standing up too fast. Typically just hold onto something and it would pass. Once, as a kid, I tried to keep walking anyway. I woke up in the kitchen - apparently I'd just run full tilt through the door and headfirst into the opposite wall.

Such episodes are quite common in otherwise healthy people - particularly those whose blood pressure naturally tends to the low side. The symptoms here simply don't fit that picture, though.

thenose

Mar 30, 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #21 of 78 (16268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Partner j_ung

Mar 30, 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #22 of 78 (16244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Jay

Here's an only slightly relevant story. My uncle was the very picture of health. What's more, he was studying to become a health practitioner -- biofeedback or some such. One day, he got the flu. He treated it with biofeedback, herbs and yoga. A day later, he got constipated. Again, herbs and stretching... biofeedback. A day later he died.

Anyway, the point isn't that you're going to die. The point is that there's nobody worse to diagnose a health practitioner (which you are, right?) than him or herself.

scottek67

Mar 30, 2010, 2:46 PM
Post #23 of 78 (16191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Jay
wtf just happened? jay said something constructive? am I the only one worried? Tongue

jt512

Mar 30, 2010, 5:18 PM
Post #24 of 78 (16159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Passed Out During Deadhang [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
aerili wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Jay
wtf just happened? jay said something constructive? am I the only one worried? Tongue

You know, to say that I don't make constructive posts is just ridiculous.

Jay

jt512

Mar 30, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #25 of 78 (16158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
Occam's Razor is in order here.

Occam's Razor is most certainly not in order here. Think about it.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook